Our Journey: Solid State

Tuesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
joannbkkpr

Our Journey: Solid State

Post by joannbkkpr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:56 am

January 11, 2019 | Today on Radio • Today on TV • Donate

Solid State

Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.
(2 Peter 1:20, ESV)

I’ve said this many times, but I find it bears repeating: The truths of Christianity have satisfied the greatest minds in human history. In case you ever find yourself on your heels in trying to defend your faith and the authenticity of the Bible, you can stop being afraid right now. Stop thinking of it as thin and fragile. You haven’t given your life to something that is intellectually unsophisticated, as if you should feel the need to shade your eyes, keep your head down, and hope no one asks you any questions.

It is not like that! At all!

The Bible is far preeminent in its influence compared to all other literature, even other religious writings. It has survived the attacks of man throughout history and cannot be rivaled—not anywhere close—in proving itself authentic through the evidence. Thousands and thousands of surviving manuscripts exist, many of them dated within a hundred years of the originals, which is an unheard of level of proof compared to writings that go blindly undisputed, like those of Plato, Homer, Aristotle, and others. Plus, the Bible’s historical claims are still being proven every day from the ongoing findings of archaeology.

Furthermore, the Bible contains amazing agreement among its forty authors written across 1,500 years, even though its primary subject matter speaks to the world’s two most controversial topics: religion and politics. It maintains total consistency of message without any contradictions—none that aren’t inconsequential or simple enough to be explained to a first grader. It contains so many accounts of fulfilled prophecy that it defies mathematics to even question it. And as if that’s not enough, our own experience as readers confirms the Bible as being uniquely gripping, comforting, convicting, and freeing.

There is nothing like it, your Bible. It is a supernatural, God-given book, yet it’s clear and plain. It yields its message to any careful study and is able to stand up to anybody’s biases. That’s why Peter would want you “knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.” The word translated “knowing” in this verse means more than head knowledge but also heart knowledge—knowing it throughout your whole being—and always knowing it, your whole life, whether you’re new in Christ or have been following Him for many years.

So I say to you:

• High school student, taking the Bible for granted, know this: “no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.”

• College student, facing classroom attacks on the veracity of God’s Word, “no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.”

• Young adult, wallowing and wandering and wondering what to build your life around, “no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.”

• Married family man, faithful wife, under pressure to cave in or compromise, remember: “no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.”

In the Bible “we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place” (2 Peter 1:19). It contains everything you need to know, “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2 Peter 1:3). So get this experiential, continual, first-priority knowledge into your life, and hold on to it.

“No prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.”

It is God’s Word. It is reliable and true. And it will never let you down.

JOURNAL

[*]What do you currently consider to be the most insidious attack against your faith?
[*]How are you responding to this, and how could you be more effective in counteracting it?

PRAY

Lord, may I never take Your Word for granted. And may I never doubt its truth and reliability, no matter how many opinions I hear or how many competing thoughts go through my head. Fill my heart with this “knowing,” so that I can stay confident in crisis, free to simply believe. And with every opportunity to speak Your Word and tell of its impact on me, give me boldness through Your Spirit to represent You without fear, knowing I stand in the name of Jesus, amen.