Renewing of the Mind pt 8

Tuesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
joannbkkpr

Renewing of the Mind pt 8

Post by joannbkkpr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Chapter 7

Wait and Stand Firm

(Step 6)

“Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”

Waiting is hard. It’s especially difficult when you are challenged in patience like I am. No matter what it is, as I get older, I notice I want thigs to happen faster. Naturally, because I feel this way, I get the opposite result. Sowing impatience only invites more opportunity for me to be tested in patience. Waiting in grocery store lines is a prime example.

Invariably, something will happen with the person in from of me. Either they will need a price check for an item that takes forever, or they have some other issues that requires a manager to be paged.

Years ago, I’d roll my eyes; sigh hard; and suck my teeth. Now when I wait in line, I just take a deep breath and choose to wait with a good attitude. Hey, I’m getting better. No huffing and puffing like a whiney toddler any more. I had to develop patience. It’s a daily thing for me.

And I can honestly say I’m not tested nearly as much in this area lately.

Keep Calm and Wait with Patience

For me, the waiting is the hardest part, David expressed in Psalm 40, the blessing in waiting patiently on Lord:

“I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what He has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.” (Psalm 40:1-3)

Though David had to go through a waiting period, it’s evident in the Psalm, that he didn’t feel abandoned or alone. He recognized God’s presence. God is with you, even in the dark days.
The best advice I can give in a tense faith fight is calm down. Getting worked up and emotionally overwhelmed with not serve you. Worry will completely derail you. Trust me, I know, sometimes life sucks. I’ll admit that. We can’t control what happens all the time, but it’s the mindset will get you through it.

No matter how much the children of Israel grumbled and complained God was still with them. He is still with you too. He knows that you are frustrated and at your wits end. Why do you think He has me writing this message (smile)?

“Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:20)

The Father wants you to know that you are going to reach your destination, but waiting is part of the process. How long you wait depends on your and the details of your circumstances.

Doubt, fear, grumbling and complaining are all signs of failing faith and make waiting that much more difficult. In some cases, grumbling will even prolong the breakthrough.

Hebrews 6:11-12, “We want each of you to show the same diligence to the very end, so that your hope may be fully assured. (12) Then you will not be sluggish but will imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

You’ve prayed. You know that God has heard you. You believe His word is true. I want you to remember two things (1) You’re not alone and (2) The Promised Land does exist.

Where Is My Promised Land?

The Children of Israel are prime examples of what not to do while you’re waiting on your promise. Maybe you feel like your circling the wilderness right now. Let’s see if we can learn a few lessons from the children of Israel when it comes to waiting and being patient.

They refused to change their mindset. They grumbled, complained and wined just as they did when they were slaves. They didn’t have a faith mindset.

• God provided provision, but they were never satisfied.
• God rescued them, but they didn’t appreciate the miraculous rescue.
• They didn’t reach the Promised Land right away, so they doubted.
• They complained.

They grumbled. That was a huge contributor to the delay of their entrance into the land of God promised them.

They turned from God. While you wait, know that your blessing is on the way. Don’t guess it’s on the way or wonder if it’s on the way…you must KNOW it. Try not to be concerned with the how’s:
• How long is going to take?
• How is it even possible?
• How many times have I tried and failed?
• How many people achieve this?

Make Peace with God’s Timing

Solomon said, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:” (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

You will only have peace during the faith process when you accept the fact that God’s timing is perfect, regardless of how it looks to you in the moment. Failure to accept God’s timing could result in increased doubt; self-sabotage; and making impulsive decision.

When Abraham and Sarah doubted God’s promise for a son, they took matters into their own hands. Sarah gave her handmaid to her husband Abraham and yes, a son was born, but this is not what God had planned. People were hurt. Hearts were broken. They failed to wait on God and caused confusion. God is not the author of confusion.

In God’s timing Isaac was born just as He promised. Had Abraham and Sarah waited, the confusion and pain would have been avoided.

God adores you profoundly. He is so thrilled to bless you. Blessings are received by faith. Breakthroughs are received by faith.

“Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.” (Psalm 27:14)

Trusting in God’s timing can be difficult when you can’t see how, but remember if God promised it, he will deliver it. Leave the how and when to Him. Try to find the pleasure in knowing somehow you will receive that right outcome in the right season.

“14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.”

Find peace in the waiting phase. Know that it is just that, a phase. It is temporary. Anticipate the blessing, because it is on the way. Wait for it.