Who Controls You?

Tuesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
joannbkkpr

Who Controls You?

Post by joannbkkpr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 am

It's a good question.  Who are we controlled by?  We hate it when others try to control our lives and we get defensive when they do control or try to control our lives and thoughts.  So the real question should be 'who do we want to be controlled by,' Satan or the Holy Spirit?  That is the real question here.  In my devotion for today Phil Ware talks about 'who do we want to be controlled by the world of Satan (sin) or the Holy Spirit (God)?  Being Christians that should be obvious, but too often we are caught in the snare of the sinful world and into Satan's trap.  Read the following devotion and see for yourself and evaluate your life and see.

"Who Controls You?" — SpiritFire for 04/09/2016

Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. —Romans 8:5 nlt

Key Thought

We don't like to be controlled. Yet we will be controlled by our sinful nature or by the Spirit of God. There are no middle options (Ephesians 2:1-3; Romans 6). While politically incorrect, deep in the core of our souls we know it's true. What Satan entices us to think is freedom, invariably ends up damaging us, our relationships, and our future. It enslaves us to addictive processes, systems, and habits. We are sucked into the vortex of sin's power: our thoughts are increasingly controlled by sin's enslaving lifestyle. The Spirit, however, frees us from this bondage. The Spirit gives us power to live with freedom, enjoying life full of his fruit — love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self-control, and faithfulness (Gal. 5:22-23). And our role? First, we must choose to actively seek the Spirit's influence over our will. Second, we must commit to respond to his lead in what we think and do (Gal. 5:25). When we look at our lives, do we see our thoughts dominated by the sinful nature or by the Spirit? If the sinful nature is dominating our thoughts, it's time to go back and focus on our role!

Today's Prayer

O Father, draw me to you. Have your holiness capture my heart and mold my character. Have your Spirit shape my life to reflect your righteousness and mercy. I want to be led, transformed, and controlled by your Holy Spirit. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

To me I would rather be controlled by God than by the world.  I want to work to gain my treasures in heaven.  What about you?  Care to join me!