Being Changed Part 4

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

Being Changed Part 4

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:51 am

We have been pondering bitter roots..also any bad roots we may have unwittingly been harboring. We began by recognizing that God is a GOOD FATHER and thus desires the best for us. He will, for our good and because He loves us, discipline us.
We also spent time talking about pruning and removing roots. We are camping out for a few weeks to ponder what some specific roots might look like.

Sometimes we are not aware of them. Other times…in a strange way…those practiced ways of thinking and “being” are so much a part of us that they seem and feel normal.

Perhaps we grew up with certain cultural bias. Or perhaps we grew up in a home which was filled with angry words…or the opposite where we were taught to deny and surpress our anger (or whatever ).
Either way is not God’s way.

Over and over we are reminded and offered the opportunity for Holy Spirit to touch, heal and restore us.

Quite often that will entail revealing to us practiced ways of thinking/being/doing that are contrary to God’s ways.

Some people refer to those as strongholds. Strongholds of thinking, of being, of acting.

And personally I think that is a good term. Some may disagree.

A stronghold is a defense. Like a fort or fortified city. Strongholds, of the good sort do defend us from the snares of the enemy of our soul.
Psalms 9:9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. misgav; properly, a cliff (or other lofty or inaccessible place); figuratively, a refuge:--defense, high fort (tower), refuge.

We are instructed in 2 Cor. 10:3-6: For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.
And: Hebrews 12:15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

These bitter roots, act like strongholds and are actually keeping us from RUNNING to The Stronghold, who is Jesus.

So far we discussed and asked God to:
(Using Slyvia’s prayer)
Father,
Forgive me for the ways I have allowed evil roots to have a place in my heart and mind.

You are the Gardener of my heart. You search me and know my every thought.
Please shine the light of your glory so that anything that is not of you can be uprooted and removed.

Remove all roots of prejudice (favoritism, discrimination, tribalism, tradition).
And replace them with fear of God, Godly wisdom and the ministry of reconciliation.

Remove the root of walking in the flesh (carnality, divisions, envy, jealousy, anger, unforgiveness, bitterness).
And replace it with walking in the Spirit and being rooted in love and filled with all the fullness of God.

Let’s begin this week with a more mundane one. One that is just as deadly to our spiritul life as the others but way more insidious because it is so prevalent.

Slyvia prays for us to :
Remove the root of soulish talk, criticism, and curses
The Scripture references she uses are:

Revelation12:10, 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.

Dodi Notice: The power, the kingdom and the authority of Messiah has come against the accuser (devil) and in this passage the focus is on his task of accusing us before God. Who, thankfully pays zero attention to him.

But if…. we ….are …busy… pointing our fingers at others, yes even those who may have abused us …then who are we acting like?

There is a place, before God to admit that we were abused, or hurt. Sometimes with a Christian counselor or brother or sister.

BUT if we constantly tell everyone, keep speaking over and over and over about what “they” did to us and how whatever “they” did, or didn’t do causes our poor behavior, what are we really doing?

Are we trusting God for the completed healing work in our heart (even if we can not yet see the manifestation of it)?

Or are we rehearsing the wounds and pointing fingers?

Besides didn’t you know? Each time we point our finger at someone to blame them for our choices or actions, we have 3 more fingers pointing straight at us. Because… blaming/accusing is done by…. guess who?

God convicts and that is very different. But we do not want to act like the accuser nor are we God.

As it that is not convicting enough we have the next passage:

James 3, Taming the Tongue
3 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Dodi Note: Uh oh. But this also applies to every single one of us, for we all “teach” someone. Often informally.

2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Dodi Note: Anyone here perfect? Not me. If so we would have no need of Jesus’ atonement.

3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
Dodi Note: In chat, change “tongue” to fingers because our fingers do the talking online.

How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness.

The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell.

Dodi Note: Whoa that is strong language. What we say…which by the way arises first from our thought life…can STAIN our entire person and ruin our lives.

7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

Dodi Note: A restless evil…oh my… full of deadly poison.

9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.
10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

Wisdom from Above
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth.

15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.

Dodi Note:

16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
Dodi Note: Have you notices this? Not in others but in yourself at times? One unkind word can undo years of kindness. It can ruin our witness.

Dodi Note: The next part is so life giving.

17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Next verse, also from James.
James 4:11; 11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.
Dodi Note: Remember what Jesus said the “law” is ? Love the Lord your God and love…..yes your neighbor as yourself..
We must ask God and keep asking God every time we are upset…to stop us from speaking evil against a brother or sister.

And Slyvia continues:
Matthew 12:33-37 A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit
33 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
Dodi Note: I love this: For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
Whatever we have stored up is what comes out. We can repeat our hurts and wounds and the wrongs done unto us over and over, but if/as we do we are growing bitter roots. And using what Slyvia describes as soulish speech. Speech that arises not for our new regenerate heart but our old man flesh heart.
I want to share a story here. You may have heard it. But it is an easy way to remember to guard our mouths (fingers).
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life:
“A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil–he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you–and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
Brothers and Sisters? When we talk and when we chat, which wolf are we feeding?
It is always one or the other.
When we are deep in thought and no one is around…which wolf are we feeding?
Are we feasting and rehearsing Words that uplift us and other or words/ thoughts that tear us down?
https://deanyeong.com/fight-two-wolves-inside/

It is a choice. But HOW do we invite God to do that sort of deep healing?

Let’s review and go on: Lord we ask you to reveal and remove the root of soulish talk, criticism, and curses And replace them with speaking blessings and cultivating restoration.

Dodi Note: Not as a magic formula, nor in a WoF sort of way, more like speaking truth in love.

1 Peter 3:9-12, 9 Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Dodi Note: This is a good instruction and reminder. We are NOT to repay evil with evil or reviling with reviling but we are instead to BLESS them.
We have talked about this before in depth using other verses. Blessing those who curse us or wrong us is not optional. It is a command. And then we are given reasoning behind it.

10 For“Whoever desires to love life
    and see good days,
let him keep his tongue from evil
    and his lips from speaking deceit; 11 
let him turn away from evil and do good;
    let him seek peace and pursue it.
Dodi Note: Do you see it?
If we desire to love life and see good days…and I believe this implies living in the JOY of the LORD regardless of outward circumstances rather than physical things which bring only temporay joy, then we are to keep our tongue (or fingers) from evil or deceit.
We are to do good, seek PEACE and pursue it.
Can you see how this might apply to telling our woes, especailly past ones over and over? That will not bring us peace, it simply reminds us of prior hurt and as long as we need to speak evil or tell others what someone else did to wound us, we are really not being healed. Because we are thinking about “that” instead of the current moment with Jesus.

The passage continues with a strong statement:
12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
    and his ears are open to their prayer.
But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”
Dodi Note: Beloved, if/when we get this little nugget into our minds, hearts, and actions, we will be set free.
God will deal with “them”. We can pray for God to bless them instead of rehearsing the wrong they did. Because, remember what the biggest blessing ever is?
Salvation. And with Salvation comes restoration and repentence and change of heart, mind, actions. So if we remember what we know and do it and pray for “them” whoever they are…even strangers like the rioters…God can deal with them and we don’t even need to worry one little bit. Who knows, “they” might become the next evangelist.

Ephesians 4:29, 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Dodi Note: This sure reminds me of Phil 4:8. No corrupting talk…only speaking of what is good for building up other (in the Lord). And only what gives an example of grace to all who hear. Let our words be full of light.

Ephesians 5:19-20, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Dodi Note: Another reminder to live an attitude of gratitude. After all, here we are right now. We have devices and internet, probably a comfy place to sit or lay as well. And we have each other.
This moment is all we have. We do not have to live in the past or worry about the future. God has promised He is Emmanuel, God With Us. Whatever is going on, He is still both “I AM” and Emmanuel.

Revelation 12:11, 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.
Dodi Note: Do you see anything here? No where are we promised a life devoid of sorrow. Jesus Himself wept. Some people, even people now around the world are killed for their faith. But we win, in the end, because Jesus already won when he arose. I hope/pray none of us ever are required to be a martyr. Some seasons we live are difficult, but there is ALWAYS hope and even JOY.

Our last verse is an amazing promise. It was for the Hebrew people literally, but figuratively it is also for us.

Isa. 58:12 And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to dwell in.

When we step out of the past. When we allow Jesus to touch, heal, and restore our broken places, even generational sin in our family line, then we set the tone for our generations to come.
You may not have literal children, but there are people in your area of influence who are watching you. We can even do such in chat.

Father thank you for your Word. For calling us to Yourself. For healing and continuing to touch, heal and restore our hearts. Help us to lean on you, to embrace all you offer and to be your lights in the darkness around us. Thank you for this time together. In Jesus name, Amen.