Biblical Hope

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

Biblical Hope

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 am

Song Because He lives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M-zwE3 ... HtSQwxoJgL

Song Nothing Less https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMapZB8qMk
Prayer: Lord we come to you with grateful hearts. We thank you for your love, in Jesus. Father these are different times and we need you in more tangible awareness. In a way it is good for us to admit that. Lord we pray healing for those who are ill and we ask for continued well being for those who are not. Be with us as we gather around your
Word tonight. We ask in Jesus name.

Tonight we are going to talk about 
Biblical hope. There was a time many years ago when I felt like and said I had no hope.

The truth was I did not know what hope really is. A very sweet lady said, “I have enough for both of us, I will lend you some of mine.”
The “hope” I did not have was regarding a situation with a rebellious teen. I had no hope that the situation would get better. No hope that I would/could even survive because it was so hard. That was a long time ago.

Now my personal definition of hope and the hope I have came about indirectly from the scripture that says, “we have this as a sure and certain hope….”
Hebrews 6:19-20 We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain,
where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

And Psalm 33:22 Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you.
His love is STEADFAST. And our HOPE is in Him. For He has promised never to leave us or forsake us.

To me, hope is not that God will “fix it” or “make it go away”, but rather that no matter what God is always both I AM and Emmanuel.

He is, will be, and has always been “I AM” all I/we need, past present and future AND is always “Emmanuel” God With Me/us.
“I AM” is the name God gave Moses in Exodus when Moses was speaking with God @ the burning bush.
Exodus 3:13-15 Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”
 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’ ”

15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations

So since during this season many are without hope, I thought it would be fun to use “gotquestions” and see what they say about Biblical hope.

Question: "What does the Bible say about hope?"

Answer: The Bible has quite a lot to say about hope. Biblical hope has as its foundation faith in God.

The word hope in English often conveys doubt. For instance, “I hope it will not rain tomorrow.”

In addition, the word hope is often followed by the word so. This is the answer that some may give when asked if they think that they will go to heaven when they die. They say, “I hope so.”

However, that is not the meaning of the words usually translated “hope” in the Bible.

In the Old Testament the Hebrew word batah and its cognates has the meaning of confidence, security, and being without care; therefore, the concept of doubt is not part of this word.

We find that meaning in Job 6:20; Psalm 16:9; Psalm 22:9; and Ecclesiastes 9:4.

Let’s ponder those verses.
Job 6:20 ESV 20  They are ashamed because they were confident; they come there and are disappointed.
NLT They count on it but are disappointed.
When they arrive, their hopes are dashed.

Job is upset and actually just wants to die. In verses 8-12 Job says:
“Oh that I might have my request,
    and that God would fulfill my hope,
9 that it would please God to crush me, that he would let loose his hand and cut me off! 10 This would be my comfort; I would even exult in pain unsparing, for I have not denied the words of the Holy One.

11 What is my strength, that I should wait?
    And what is my end, that I should be patient?
12 Is my strength the strength of stones, or is my flesh bronze? 13 Have I any help in me,
    when resource is driven from me?

Want to see the reason behind the therefore? it is verses 10-11 10  For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.11  You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

So…at first glance this is not really, or at least to me it is not a hope inspiring passage. But verse 11 is VERY hope inspiring. 11  You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Any pleasures we can conjure up for ourselves are fleeting at best. But when/if we place all that is “us” securely in the hands of God, who is I AM and Emmanuel and in whose presence we find true fullness of joy….then we can rest secure knowing we ARE safe, no matter what.

Psalm 16:9 9  Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.

He started in verse 1 when he cried out to God in his distress, “  Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.2  I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”

In verse 8 he said, 8  I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Dodi Note: Are you feeling shaken at times during this season of life? I know I have…but only in “moments” and only when I take my eyes off of God. If we remember to set the LORD always before us, and he is (you know) always with us….then we shall not be shaken. And we will have hope.

Psalm 22:9 9  Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts.
In verse 11 he calls out to God, “11  Be not far from me, for trouble is near, and there is none to help.

This is another Psalm of David. Remember David went through many difficult things, which were not his fault and others that were, like the death of his illegitimate child.

David messed up often, but always turned and returned to God. I believe that is because deep down David knew and trusted God. When I think of David, I can remember not to be too hard on myself when hope or faith seem low and fear or worry seems big and simple say to myself “ STOP IT”. And remember what is more true than whatever is going on.

The beginning of this Psalm we see David laying it all out and telling God exactly how he feels about things.

David actually does that a lot. Things are not going well and David is upset. The very first verse should be very familiar because Jesus said it on the cross at the end.

Therefore if we at moments, and I hope it is only a moment, feel abandoned, we are in good company. Plus we know deep down it is NOT true because God has promised NEVER to abandon us.
VERSE Hebrews 13:5 NKJV
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Let’s look at the beginning of Psalm 22.
1  My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
2  O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.

3  Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.
Dodi note: Notice this, God is enthroned on the PRAISES of His people. Praising God for who he is can draw us right out of our fear or worry or anything else and straight into awaresness of God With Us, Emmanuel.

4  In you our fathers trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.5  To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
Dodi Note: See David rehearsing the truth? Remembering what he knows?

6  But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by mankind and despised by the people.7  All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
8  “He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”
Dodi Note: Our secular friends may not understand how we can hope in/for/on a God who lets bad things happen. Especially when their life is disrupted. Right now everyone’s life is disrupted. We have a chance to shine forth the Hope (Light) which is in us. Jesus.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 4 But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

Dodi Note: I read that and was thinking, “What on earth does that mean?”

I read the context and still did not really “get it”. But within the preceeding verses was something, a concept that was really interesting.

See if you “see” it when we read verses 1-6.
9 But all this I laid to heart, examining it all, how the righteous and the wise and their deeds are in the hand of God. Whether it is love or hate, man does not know; both are before him.

2 It is the same for all, since the same event happens to the righteous and the wicked, to the good and the evil, to the clean and the unclean, to him who sacrifices and him who does not sacrifice. As the good one is, so is the sinner, and he who swears is as he who shuns an oath.

3 This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that the same event happens to all. Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

4 But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion. 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.

Did you see it? Sometimes events “things” just happen. They happen to ALL of us. Like this current virus. But we, those of us who are born again, have a differnt sure and eternal hope when/if that happens.

We all know the end of the story and our final outcome. Which is to be God forever in heaven.

I still did not really understand what the actual verse meant though so I kept searching. “Wesley's Explanatory Notes
For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
Joined — That continues with living men.
Hope — He hath not only some comfort for the present, but also hopes of further happiness in this world.
Better — Much happier as to the comforts of this world.”
That helped somewhat.

All the commentators said this was an analogy based on the contempt that people of that time had for dogs. Kind of like most of us think of rats. Not your cute little family pet sort of dog.
I am and this is personal, not scholarily, going to take it for myself as that no matter what happens to me as a Child of God, no matter what things look like in the natural, I (and all of you) belong to Jesus and since he is on our side and our future is secure, we can set ALL our hope on Him. Jesus acutally IS our Living Hope.

In most instances in the New Testament, the word hope is the Greek elpis/elpizo. Again, there is no doubt attached to this word.

Therefore, biblical hope is a confident expectation or assurance based upon a sure foundation for which we wait with joy and full confidence. In other words, “There is no doubt about it!”

One of the verses in which we find the word hope is Hebrews 11:1. “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”

This verse at the beginning of the faith chapter (Hebrews 11) carries with it all of the confidence that comes with knowing for sure, with no question, what we have been promised by God in His Word.

Our faith is confident assurance, for it is founded upon the Rock of our salvation, the Lord Jesus Christ.

All of the actions of the heroes of the faith recorded in Hebrews 11 were made possible because they had this faith based in their confident assurance or hope in God.

As believers, we are also called to give an answer for the hope that is within us to any who would ask (1 Peter 3:15).

I Peter 3:15 says: 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

Dodi Note: seeing the verse begin with “but” and ended with a comma, I want us to read the context.
13 Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good?

14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.

Therefore, biblical hope is a reality and not a feeling.

Biblical hope carries no doubt.

Biblical hope is a sure foundation upon which we base our lives, believing that God always keeps His promises.

Hope or confident assurance can be ours when we trust the words, “He who believes on Me has everlasting life” (John 6:47, NKJV).

Accepting that gift of eternal life means our hope is no longer filled with doubt but, rather, has at its sure foundation the whole of God’s Word, the entirety of God’s character, and the finished work of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Dodi Note: And so we can go forth from here, isolated in our homes but NOT forsaken, to love and serve God in gentleness and with hope intact. To God be all the glory, amen.

And one more thing a verse that popped into my heart just now which is something we can ask for and expect to receive: Isaiah 35:3-4 Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.”

A similar verse is found in Hebrews 12:10-16
Our fathers disciplined us for a short time as they thought best, but God disciplines us for our good, so that we may share in His holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.

Dodi Note: We can use this season to gripe or to draw closer to God. We can reach out via phone to those we know around us who are suffering alone or in want. We can enjoy the beautiful world, the sun, the stars even the snow or rain and embrace with HOPE the moments of these days.
God be with us all. Amen

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-hope.html