One Word & Put OFF Put On

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

One Word & Put OFF Put On

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:34 am

Welcome to the first Monday Night Bible Study of 2020. We have entered a brand new year and decade with God. Isn’t it good to remember that He is with us? Right now and all the days and moments of this new decade.

Our format is: Welcome, Song, Prayer, Sharing and Closing. Comments and/or questions are always welcome.

Song: What a Beautiful Name It Is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5L6QlAH3L4

Prayer: Father God we bless you in this day. Thank you for your love, your care, your correction, your compassion. Thank you for this time we have chosen to spend gathered around your Word. Please be with each one of us in the area of our greatest need. And Lord? May the meditations of our hearts be pleasing in your sight. in Jesus name amen.

First of all tonight I want to share about “One Word”. We have talked about it briefly.
I and many of my friends have done this for several years and we either write it down in a brand new journal or an online version. I use notes because it is on both my phone and computer.

This is what one author shared:
What’s Your One word?

Maybe you’re in a season of abundance. You have favor and delight and more opportunities than you know what to do.
Dodi Note: A fun place to be. Anyone there right now?

Maybe you’re in a season of grace. You’re learning your limitations, discovering weaknesses, and awakening to God’s provision in the midst.
Dodi Note: An enlightening place to be. Sometimes difficult but a place of closeness with our Abba.

Maybe you’re in a season of adversity. Your marriage or finances or health or job or relationships are crumbling.
Dodi Note: Another difficult season but one where we learn to trust lean and rely on God in a special way.

No matter what season you find yourself in, your Heavenly Father wants to speak to you.

The beginning of a new year provides an opportunity for reflection and vision casting. This is a season to both look back and press forward in our relationship with God.
Dodi Note: One scripture I love is found in Proverbs 29:18 AMP says: Where there is no vision (no revelation of God and His word), the people are unrestrained; But happy and blessed is he who keeps the law (of God).
Another verse in Proverbs 16:9 says The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.
And again in Psalm 37:23 we read:
The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way.
It seems to me, that planning is something good and beneficial for us to do. We plan, but we seek God and follow His Way. Seeking God for a word for the year to meditate on, look up in scripture and point us to the Hand of God in our lives has been good for me.

The author continues:
Over the past few years, I've asked God to give me one word for the upcoming year.
One word that I can study.

One word that perks my ears every time it appears.

One word that helps me discover the depth of God's heart.

One word that leads me closer to Christ.
Dodi Note: Anyone here NOT want a way to draw closer to Jesus and discover His heart for us?

Previous words include listen, joy, and beloved. Each word has drawn me deeper into Scripture and closer to Christ.
Dodi Note: Mine have been “be intentional”, “choose”, “I AM is EMMANUEL” among others.

As we look up scripture relevant to our word, we will be drawn to other similar verses with perhaps a different slant. Later I will share how that worked for me so far this year.

This year I'm inviting you to ask God for your one word. The word God wants to use to make you more radiant like Jesus.

The author gives/suggests a guide. I will share it with you and then post the link at the end.

This year, I’m inviting you to ask God for your one word.
The word He wants to use to transform you and make you radiant like Christ.
May this One Word Guide awaken you to the work that God will be doing in and through you during the upcoming year.

Step one:
Before you begin reflecting on the list of words below, spend some time in prayer asking God what one word He wants to awaken you to during the upcoming year. Then spend a few moments reflecting over the list of words below. Circle any that you feel compelled to discover more of in your life. Or just write down whatever comes into your heart/mind as we look at the list. Remember I will share the link at the end.

Jesus Father Spirit Love Joy Hope Grace Peace Kindness Gentleness Self-Control Patience New Goodness Generosity
Gospel Remember Blessing Kingdom Church Time Holy Service Healing Life Today Prayer Disciple Follow Lead
Forgive Freedom Humility Faith Trust Wholeness Restoration Redemption Renewal Rebuilding Shalom Faithful Presence Sacrifice Change
Unity Stillness Silence Gratitude Purpose Now Ask Abundance Family Alive Purity Wisdom Deeper Go
Yes
Step two:
If you were drawn to more than one word, write them down. Take time to pray and ask God which one He wants to echo in your life in the upcoming year. Which word will lead you to more than information but transformation?

Step three:
Write your one word somewhere in large print, all caps. Consider posting this word near your desk, on you bathroom mirror, or in a central place in your home.

Step four:
Write out a prayer asking God to draw you deeper to Him and His Word using this one word in 2020. Ask for your ears, mind, eyes, and heart to be open to all of the ways He speaks this year.

Step five:
Now that you’ve selected your #oneword for 2020, here are some ways to incorporate this one word into your daily life:
* Each day invite God to speak to you about your one word. 

* Consider sharing your word with others and inviting them to identify their one word. 

* Pray for each other to grow in this area of their lives. 

* Post your one word in places you see often. On a piece of jewelry, a sticky note on your desk, your cell phone background. Use each time you see it as a reminder to pray for transformation in your heart and life. 

* Use an online tool like biblegateway.com to research your one word. Discover how Scripture uses your word and what the Bible reveals about it. 

* Share what you’re learning with others. 

* Consider making a one word journal or diary and keep track of when you encounter your one word through interactions, conversations, and readings. 

Dodi Note: I hope this inspired you as it did me some years ago.
Here is the link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0178/ ... 8cac0e9c09

We are going to begin a short series on “Put Off, Put On”. Several years ago on Wednesday morning we discussed this and I want to return to it both personally and here.

This is a principle that shows us HOW to tear down strongholds and eliminate "stinking thinking". We replace lies and false thinking with truth.

We did this in our Care group many years ago. Chip Ingram teaches it in his Miracle of Life Change series which I think you can find on YouTube.

It really was transformational for me when our group did it. I am going to read the scripture out loud and post it. Remember even though it is a sobering passage, it is also part of life lived in Christ. It is connected to breaking free from stronghold or stinking thinking also. And who wants to remain tied to “stinking thinking” or false belief or wrong actions? I don’t. And you don’t either.

READY?
Remember don’t be discouraged as we read. (smile)

In Eph 4 we are admonished: 17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.

18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.

19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.

20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.

22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body

26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Wow! Right? Quite a list. Tonight we are just introducing this topic/principle.

I want to share an article I found online and really good, so for background we will just use this.

The "Put Off - Put On" Dynamic

Christians often fail to change because they try to change solely by breaking bad habits.
Dodi Note: I bet we can all think of times we tried that and how well it FAILED.

Change that lasts will not take place until one replaces the bad habit with a Godly habit. Ephesians 4:22-24 ( we just read that) explains this as the "Principle of Replacement."

This process of change is described in the Bible by the terms Put-Off, Renew, and Put-On. Christians are to Put Off the old sinful way of life, renew their mind with Biblical truth, and Put On the new godly way of life.

Dodi Note: Do you see how this ties in with stronghold replacement? Remember a stronghold is a practiced way of thinking or acting. Strongholds can be GOOD if they are Godly ones. But they can be pure awful if they are selfish man designed ones. Another word is habits. Habits can be good, or not good for us. A lot of people think all strongholds are bad but scripture tells us that God is our stronghold. 2 Samuel 22:3 says: My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, You save me from violence.
Psalm 9:9 The LORD also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, A stronghold in times of trouble;

Maybe it would be fun after we finish this series to ponder strongholds. But let’s go back to our author.

The process of change is not complete by simply telling God or others our regret or asking forgiveness. It is not enough for a habitual thief to tell God he is sorry every time he steals. For true change to take place, the thief must now become a habitual laborer and gift giver (Ephesians 4:25). It is not enough to Put Off the old man; you must also Put On the new man for true and lasting change to take place (Ephesians 4:24).

God intends for Christians to pursue the Putting On of the biblical alternatives to whatever they are trying to Put Off.

Concentrating on what needs to be Put On is necessary in overcoming sinful tendencies (Philippians 3:12-14; 4:8).
Phil 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

4:8 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Dodi Note: We can only think one thought at a time. We eventually become like whatever we spend our time thinking about. That is WHY I LOVE Philippians 4:8 and also why I grew and learned so much when I pondered “Put Off, Put On” the first time.

These sinful tendencies, i.e., habits, are patterns of learned ways of living. (Strongholds)

Therefore, they must be unlearned and replaced with new biblical habits, patterns and tendencies (Hebrews 5:14; 1 Timothy 4:7; Philippians 4:11; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Romans 6:16-17). This change is a gradual process that takes place as one puts into practice the new biblical principles for living. In time, old sinful ways will begin to disappear.
Before we go for tonight we will simply read the referenced verses.

Hebrews 5:14 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Timothy 4:7 7 But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness.

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God

Romans 6:16-1716 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

Anyone like to share something you no longer think or do?

Father God, I am excited about revisiting this principle and exploring what wonderful gifts you will reveal to us, in us and through us. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your Word. Thank you that YOU are our STRONGHOLD and in any and every circumstance of life we can RUN to you and be safe. Bless each of us and those we love in Jesus name amen.