God as Abba Father

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

God as Abba Father

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:23 am

Song: Met By Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7UG6ZIkoDk

Prayer: Father God, our Abba Father thank you for loving us. Thank you for this time set aside to be with you and each other. Speak to our hearts as we meet together we ask in Jesus name amen.

We are going to spend this week looking deeper into what it means to us that God is our Abba Father.
We are using an article from GotQuestions.
I don’t know about you but I need constant reminders of His love and care for me.

Question: "What does it mean that God is our Abba Father?"

Answer: In Scripture there are many different names used to describe God.

While all the names of God are important in many ways, the name “Abba Father” is one of the most significant names of God in understanding how He relates to people.
Dodi Note: Specifically and personally how he relates to you and me.

The word Abba is an Aramaic word that means “Father.” It was a common term that expressed affection and confidence and trust.

Abba signifies the close, intimate relationship of a father and his child, as well as the childlike trust that a young child puts in his “daddy.”

Abba is always followed by the word Father in Scripture, and the phrase is found in three passages. In Mark 14:36, Jesus addresses His Father as “Abba, Father” in His prayer in Gethsemane.
Mark 14:36: And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
Dodi Note: I love this reminder. Jesus did not actually want to go to that cross and yet he had so much trust in Father God, His Abba, that he was able to beg really, Him not to make him go there and at the same time….choose to trust His Father with even such a decision. So he asked….and he trusted and obeyed. There are times in our lives when we really really wish God would fix something. We know God has the power to fix whatever it is, be it an illness, a loss a need, but sometimes for reasons we can’t understand God does not fix it. Can we remember the trust Jesus exhibited during those times? And go ahead and ask, even implore or beg God to fix the situation and at the same time trust God with “all that is us” even to the point of death?

In Romans 8:15, “Abba, Father” is mentioned in relation to the Spirit’s work of adoption that makes us God’s children and heirs with Christ.

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

Dodi Note: In a sense this brings up the issue of absolute trust doesn’t it? Because isn’t fear kind of the opposite of trust? When a little child is scared, they call for DADDY or MOMMY. When life drops frightening moments upon us, can we remember to call on Abba Father? He might not remove the situation but he will absolutely walk with us through it.

In Galatians 4:6, again in the context of adoption, the Spirit in our hearts cries out, “Abba, Father.” Together, the terms Abba and Father doubly emphasize the fatherhood of God. In two different languages, we are assured of God’s care for His children.
Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
Dodi Note: “into our hearts”. It is a permanent irrevocable positional gift at New Birth. We ARE Children of God.

Many claim that all people are “children of God,” but the Bible reveals quite a different truth. ( To read more: https://www.gotquestions.org/all-God-children.html )

We are all His creations and under His authority and lordship, and all will be judged by Him, but the right to be a child of God and call Him “Abba Father” is something that only born-again Christians have (John 1:12–13).
John 1:12-13  But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
NLT But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God.  They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.

When we are born again (John 3:1–8), we are adopted into the family of God, redeemed from the curse of sin, and made heirs of God (Romans 8:17; Galatians 4:7).

John 3:1-8 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.”

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Dodi Note: We are going to look at verses 5-8 in NLT for clarity. Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.  Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’
 The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

I like the way NLT explains what Jesus meant by the wind blows where it will part.

Romans 8:17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Gal. 4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Dodi Note: We can clearly see that becoming a son or daughter of God requires a choice or action on our part. Not everyone makes that choice although everyone can. It is as simple as choosing to believe. But again, saying a prayer if you do not mean it does not work either. But saying a prayer is a great start.

Part of that new relationship is that God now deals with us differently, as family.
Dodi Note: isn’t that good news?

It is life-changing to understand what it means to be able to call the one true God our “Father” and what it means to be joint-heirs with Christ.

Because of our relationship with our Abba, Father, He no longer deals with us as enemies; instead, we can approach Him with “boldness” (Hebrews 10:19) and in “full assurance of faith” (Hebrews 10:22).
Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus,
Dodi Note: On what do we place our confidence? Right, the BLOOD of Jesus.

Hebrews 10:22: let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
Dodi Note: Don’t you love love love this reminder? We can have assurance and our hearts ARE sprinkled CLEAN from an evil conscience and our bodies WASHED with pure water. Whatever we did in the past, whatever was done unto us in the past is washed away in the LOVE of Jesus. Imagine a mountain stream and you are rock covered with dirt and grime and tossed in there. Will the dirt and grime remain? Goodness no! Impossible. The trick is… we remain “in Christ” and we receive what we are given regarding cleansing. Sometimes that requires some identiy work on our part. Because up until we realize God HAS cleansed us we may still feel (and hence act) like we are no good. But once we understand our identity really has been changed. We can and will and do begin to “act like who we really are”. We stop living and acting and reacting from the hurts and wounds of the past and we enter the fullness of joyful life in Christ.

The Holy Spirit “testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:16–17).
Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,  and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Dodi Note: Oh dear. This completly blows away the Pollyanna false view that Christians will have no problems. That somehow God will just remove every single problem and give us anything we want. And it reminds me, of the cross. That one where Jesus bled and died and suffered for our redemption as sons and daughters. Why? It clearly references suffering with him. We all live in the Western World. None of us live in a Muslim country where Christians are murdered every single day just for being a Christian. We tend to think of our suffering as “too hard”. I know I do at times and in those moments life is too hard and our Abba wants us to talk to Him about it. He wants to comfort us and assure us of His presence with us. But the Word says here and in several other places which I will show you, that in this world we WILL have troubles. But God has overcome the world. And at times we will suffer.
John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anythingJames 1:2-4.
1 Peter 4:12-14 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

Dodi Note: And there is a BIG difference in suffering because of our own poor choices and suffering because we are Christians living out a different sort of lifestyle.

Becoming a child of God is the highest and most humbling of honors.

Because of it we have a new relationship with God and a new standing before Him.

Instead of running from God and trying to hide our sin like Adam and Eve did, we run to Him, calling, “Abba, Father!” and finding forgiveness in Christ.
Dodi Note: As we close, let’s keep that last thought as our “take home” from tonight.
We ARE children, dearly loved children of God and so when we sin/mess up we are invited to RUN TO our ABBA who will cleanse us and set us back on the right path once again.

Father God thank you for drawing us to you and making us your own beloved children. Thank you that even when we feel all alone we are not doing life alone for you are always with us. Thank you that even when we wander far from your will you will welcome us back. Help us to RUN to you when we are sad, or glad, or mad or even bad. For you are the SOURCE of all we need. In Jesus name amen.

shalom-dodi

Re: God as Abba Father

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:29 am

Song: Met By Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7UG6ZIkoDk

Prayer: Father God, our Abba Father thank you for loving us. Thank you for this time set aside to be with you and each other. Speak to our hearts as we meet together we ask in Jesus name amen.

We are going to spend this week looking deeper into what it means to us that God is our Abba Father.
We are using an article from GotQuestions.
I don’t know about you but I need constant reminders of His love and care for me.

Question: "What does it mean that God is our Abba Father?"

Answer: In Scripture there are many different names used to describe God.

While all the names of God are important in many ways, the name “Abba Father” is one of the most significant names of God in understanding how He relates to people.
Dodi Note: Specifically and personally how he relates to you and me.

The word Abba is an Aramaic word that means “Father.” It was a common term that expressed affection and confidence and trust.

Abba signifies the close, intimate relationship of a father and his child, as well as the childlike trust that a young child puts in his “daddy.”

Abba is always followed by the word Father in Scripture, and the phrase is found in three passages. In Mark 14:36, Jesus addresses His Father as “Abba, Father” in His prayer in Gethsemane.
Mark 14:36: And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”
Dodi Note: I love this reminder. Jesus did not actually want to go to that cross and yet he had so much trust in Father God, His Abba, that he was able to beg really, Him not to make him go there and at the same time….choose to trust His Father with even such a decision. So he asked….and he trusted and obeyed. There are times in our lives when we really really wish God would fix something. We know God has the power to fix whatever it is, be it an illness, a loss a need, but sometimes for reasons we can’t understand God does not fix it. Can we remember the trust Jesus exhibited during those times? And go ahead and ask, even implore or beg God to fix the situation and at the same time trust God with “all that is us” even to the point of death?

In Romans 8:15, “Abba, Father” is mentioned in relation to the Spirit’s work of adoption that makes us God’s children and heirs with Christ.

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

Dodi Note: In a sense this brings up the issue of absolute trust doesn’t it? Because isn’t fear kind of the opposite of trust? When a little child is scared, they call for DADDY or MOMMY. When life drops frightening moments upon us, can we remember to call on Abba Father? He might not remove the situation but he will absolutely walk with us through it.

In Galatians 4:6, again in the context of adoption, the Spirit in our hearts cries out, “Abba, Father.” Together, the terms Abba and Father doubly emphasize the fatherhood of God. In two different languages, we are assured of God’s care for His children.
Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
Dodi Note: “into our hearts”. It is a permanent irrevocable positional gift at New Birth. We ARE Children of God.

Many claim that all people are “children of God,” but the Bible reveals quite a different truth. ( To read more: https://www.gotquestions.org/all-God-children.html )

We are all His creations and under His authority and lordship, and all will be judged by Him, but the right to be a child of God and call Him “Abba Father” is something that only born-again Christians have (John 1:12–13).
John 1:12-13  But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
NLT But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God.  They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.

When we are born again (John 3:1–8), we are adopted into the family of God, redeemed from the curse of sin, and made heirs of God (Romans 8:17; Galatians 4:7).

John 3:1-8 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.”

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Dodi Note: We are going to look at verses 5-8 in NLT for clarity. Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.  Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’
 The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

I like the way NLT explains what Jesus meant by the wind blows where it will part.

Romans 8:17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Gal. 4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Dodi Note: We can clearly see that becoming a son or daughter of God requires a choice or action on our part. Not everyone makes that choice although everyone can. It is as simple as choosing to believe. But again, saying a prayer if you do not mean it does not work either. But saying a prayer is a great start.

Part of that new relationship is that God now deals with us differently, as family.
Dodi Note: isn’t that good news?

It is life-changing to understand what it means to be able to call the one true God our “Father” and what it means to be joint-heirs with Christ.

Because of our relationship with our Abba, Father, He no longer deals with us as enemies; instead, we can approach Him with “boldness” (Hebrews 10:19) and in “full assurance of faith” (Hebrews 10:22).
Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus,
Dodi Note: On what do we place our confidence? Right, the BLOOD of Jesus.

Hebrews 10:22: let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
Dodi Note: Don’t you love love love this reminder? We can have assurance and our hearts ARE sprinkled CLEAN from an evil conscience and our bodies WASHED with pure water. Whatever we did in the past, whatever was done unto us in the past is washed away in the LOVE of Jesus. Imagine a mountain stream and you are rock covered with dirt and grime and tossed in there. Will the dirt and grime remain? Goodness no! Impossible. The trick is… we remain “in Christ” and we receive what we are given regarding cleansing. Sometimes that requires some identiy work on our part. Because up until we realize God HAS cleansed us we may still feel (and hence act) like we are no good. But once we understand our identity really has been changed. We can and will and do begin to “act like who we really are”. We stop living and acting and reacting from the hurts and wounds of the past and we enter the fullness of joyful life in Christ.

The Holy Spirit “testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:16–17).
Romans 8:16-17 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,  and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Dodi Note: Oh dear. This completly blows away the Pollyanna false view that Christians will have no problems. That somehow God will just remove every single problem and give us anything we want. And it reminds me, of the cross. That one where Jesus bled and died and suffered for our redemption as sons and daughters. Why? It clearly references suffering with him. We all live in the Western World. None of us live in a Muslim country where Christians are murdered every single day just for being a Christian. We tend to think of our suffering as “too hard”. I know I do at times and in those moments life is too hard and our Abba wants us to talk to Him about it. He wants to comfort us and assure us of His presence with us. But the Word says here and in several other places which I will show you, that in this world we WILL have troubles. But God has overcome the world. And at times we will suffer.
John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anythingJames 1:2-4.
1 Peter 4:12-14 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

Dodi Note: And there is a BIG difference in suffering because of our own poor choices and suffering because we are Christians living out a different sort of lifestyle.

Becoming a child of God is the highest and most humbling of honors.

Because of it we have a new relationship with God and a new standing before Him.

Instead of running from God and trying to hide our sin like Adam and Eve did, we run to Him, calling, “Abba, Father!” and finding forgiveness in Christ.
Dodi Note: As we close, let’s keep that last thought as our “take home” from tonight.
We ARE children, dearly loved children of God and so when we sin/mess up we are invited to RUN TO our ABBA who will cleanse us and set us back on the right path once again.

Father God thank you for drawing us to you and making us your own beloved children. Thank you that even when we feel all alone we are not doing life alone for you are always with us. Thank you that even when we wander far from your will you will welcome us back. Help us to RUN to you when we are sad, or glad, or mad or even bad. For you are the SOURCE of all we need. In Jesus name amen.