Rip Currents of Life

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

Rip Currents of Life

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:26 am

Welcome to the Monday Night Bible Study. This is Shalom Dodi over mic. I am glad to be here tonight with each of you.

Our format is Welcome, Song, Prayer, Sharing and Closing.

Song: We are going to listen to a REAL old song tonight. What A Friend We Have in Jesus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCV5t8wRBI8

Prayer: Father God thank you for this time and for this place where we can gather around your Word. Help us to set aside the cares of this day or this season and simply sit together at your feet and learn of you. Father you know each of our needs and our joys and sorrows, so for this time we choose to REST on/in your love. In Jesus name amen.

Closing song: Jesus Jesus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZZb6RbLJs

We were going to continue in James 3 but as I was getting it ready, it was like this just popped out. Smile. I know I said we were going to continue with James this week but somehow it feels like we still need to spend another week just being encouraged in the LORD instead.

The title is : Rip Tides aka Rip Currents of Life

Someone asked what was some advice we remembered from childhood. Immediately I remembered summers at the Isle of Palm and Rip Tides. The correct term is Rip Current I discovered.

An article in the NY times explains: Rip currents are channels of water that form near beaches and run a certain distance out to sea. They are fast moving and powerful enough to carry swimmers away.

In fact, according to the United States Lifesaving Association, rip currents are responsible for more than 80 percent of lifeguard rescues at beaches with breaking waves: a category that includes beaches along the Great Lakes as well as on the ocean.

These currents have a variety of causes, but it is impossible to predict exactly where or when they will form.

We, those of us who live near the ocean, know that if you are caught in a current and are being dragged out to sea, DO NOT fight it. Simply float and eventually it will end and then you can swim into shore. Or the lifeguard will come for you.

Most people panic and try to swim against it and become exhausted. Often they die when they do that. I sincerely hope I never get in one. Wisdom dictates swimming near a lifeguard at the beach.

Then I thought….you know life can be similar to being caught in a Rip Current. We are going along, enjoying the moments and then “it” HAPPENS. Someone we love, or we ourselves become dangerously ill. An accident happens. Someone hurts our heart. A RIP CURRENT of life occurs in whatever fashion.

Anyone here tonight experienced a Rip Current recently? Or maybe you feel like you have been living IN one for a long time.

Rip is a good way to describe those events/times/seasons. Something or someone is ripped away from us. Life is going on smoothly and then it is like something ripped a piece of paper in half or ripped open a bag of chips, except those are nasty chips in there. We free fall or we faint or we get angry and begin to fight. Or whatever we use as our numbing choice springs forward. You know those hurts, habits and hang ups God is healing and we thought were subdued spring forth again.

We have a choice in that moment. Well those of us who have trusted Jesus as Lord and Savior do, we can stop and choose to trust, lean and rely on the promises of God. Or we can struggle, fume and fuss and become both physically and emotionally exhausted. We can become literally ill or depressed.

The Bible gives us a lot of advice about what to do when we are overwhelmed. A Rip current is overwhelming if it is a literal one in the ocean or a sudden unexpected one in life. So what do we do?

I thought tonight we would ponder some verses about God being our lifeguard. Not really, but I think you get the analogy. A lifeguard’s job is to guard and protect us at the beach. Sometimes if there are a lot of Rip Currents, the lifeguard closes the beach. At times protection changes to rescue too doesn’t it?

God desires that we be able to rest in safety.
Deuteronomy 33:12 b says, "Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders."

Dodi Note: Isn’t that a sweet reminder? It was originally written to a man named Benjamin. Moses was blessing the people and this was for Benjamin. But it has application for us also.

Remember David? In Psalm 131:2 But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
Picture a little baby who has just been fed and is sweetly and calmly resting in his mother’s embrace.
Our heritage and our invitation is to REST secure in the love of God. No matter what. Even if/when we are caught in a sudden Rip Current of life.

Another verse that is so sad exposes the tenderness of God toward us, His children. The terms “Jerusalem” and “Israel” can also refer to those who belong to God, His people.

Matthew 23:37
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Dodi Note: We might be tempted to read that and want to point our fingers at “them”. But really, if we are honest, haven’t we all neglected if not down right refused to allow God to comfort us? I know I have.

Sometimes He is our refuge other times he leads us to refuge.

We can see times in the Bible when God provided refuge. Sometimes we need to choose to hide ourselves in a God appointed refuge.

In Psalms we see many examples. One is Psalm 57:1-2. “Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purposes for me (Psalm 57:1-2).

Dodi Note: David is telling us of a time when he had taken refuge in God.

Can you imagine being hidden in the shadow of God’s wings? Like a little bird is sheltered beneath it’s mother’s?

Maybe someone can think of a time when you knew God was sheltering you or hiding you or protecting you. Anyone want to share?

Next tonight we are going to read Psalm 46 - A Psalm of Comfort

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.

Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah.

Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.

‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah.”
Dodi Note: Isn’t this Psalm a lovely picture of the heart of God for us, his children?
Did you see the news of today in it? And yet there is such GOOD news also.

First the GOOD news :).
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Let’s personalize that… God is my refuge and strength. God is my ever-present help in ever trouble (think Rip Current of Life).
Do you see any if-then clause there? Or any conditional portions? I don’t

Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah.
Dodi Note: But we do fear don’t we? Sometimes? Can we agree to catch ourselves when fear arises and try to remember what we know of God’s truth?

Then some good news:
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.
Dodi Note: Several commentaries suggest this is simply an image of the place of total provision, peace and trust we can have in God. I always thought it meant heaven and it may, but in context of this Psalm what the Commentators say makes more sense. Does it sort of remind you of Psalm 23? “He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul?”

Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
Dodi Note: One word from the mouth of God and the earth melts.

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah.
Dodi Note: Selah (pause and think of that) indeed! Our FORTRESS which is a secure place of shelter in times of war.

Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.

Dodi Note: This seems odd in context. That is kind of fearsome. But the commentators seem to think it is a reminder of that which the LORD has done to PROTECT His people. It could also allude to the judgment of those who do not know Him.

Next we have an often quoted bit….‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’
BE STILL and KNOW…..
Maybe I need a poster set in a prominent place in my home to remind me to do just that. Be still and know (remember). Maybe you do too. A sticky note would do.

We are going to look at a few more portions of Scripture along the same line.
Psalm 5:11-12:
“But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.” 

Dodi Note: Do you, do I want to be glad and sing for joy? Do we desire God’s own protection over us? Do we want to rejoice in His love? Do we want His favor and blessing? Especially if we are caught in one of those Rip Currents?

Of course we do.
Our part? Take refuge in Him. It does not say fight does it? It says take refuge. Could that be a lot like floating and waiting for the current to subside or rescue to come? Does it preclude panic?
Isn’t it fun to apply all these to our very own Rip Current tonight?

Here is another one that speaks for itself:  (Proverbs 3:25-26).
“Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your feet from being snared” 

Dodi Note: Perfect. The sudden disasters that we see all around us. Maybe we should instead of getting afraid when we see that pray for those who have not yet learned to REST (float) in the care of Jesus.

We are going to look at a few bits from the Prophet Jeremiah.

If we really believe that Jeremiah 29:11 is true….Would it be easier to trust lean and relax on the provision of God?
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Dodi Note: Do you believe that God has GOOD plans for the rest of your life? Do we believe we have a future and hope? He says we do and he says he does. Sometimes we forget though .

And why can we do this? Jeremiah 31:3b
"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Dodi Note: When the Rip Tides come, and even when we forget in that moment every single thing we know, God is LOVING us with His EVERLASTING love. And He is DRAWING us with UNFAILING kindness. That is a TREASURE verse for sure.

And then in the next verse gives us another promise….I will build you up again, and you, Virgin Israel, will be rebuilt. Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful."

Dodi Note: Trials come, Rip Tides appear suddenly. But we all know the final outcome and even while we are caught we can know that there is an end. We WILL once again dance and be joyful. Sometimes, really right in the midst of that very thing that scares us near to death.

I love Psalm 18:16-19
"He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."

Dodi Note: Isn’t that grand? When we could not save ourselves God reached DOWN to us and DREW us OUT of deep waters. Then he brings us to a spacious place and He does all this…….because God delights in us. Wow!

Another verse says he lifted us out of the miry clay…it is Psalm 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

We are going to read Proverbs 3:5-7 in a funky version for fun because it is so often repeated we can sort of skim past it in it’s familiar form but it is important for us all.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way. Never let yourself think that you are wiser than you are; simply obey the Lord and refuse to do wrong."

We are going to look at just two more tonight. They are probably familiar to you especially if you are a regular on Monday night.
Zephaniah 3:17
"The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing."
Dodi Note: Let’s personalize this one….
We can do it two ways. We could substitute our own name or we could says… The Lord my God is with me, The Mighty Warrior who saves will take GREAT DELIGHT in me. In His love God will no longer rebuke me. God WILL rejoice over me with singing.

And…Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

There are many many more. I will post some in the forum at the end of the part we looked at tonight and you can ponder and/or personalize them at home.

Let’s pray:
Father God thank you for loving us. Thank you that you rejoice over us with singing. Help our hearts to hear your song that you are singing over us. When bad or hard things happen and we feel like we are going to drown, help us to REST secure in your love for us. Help us to relax and float along until rescue comes or that season ends. When we are caught in one of those “Rip Currents” of life, help us remember what we know to be true. In Jesus name we pray amen

Closing Song: Jesus Jesus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZZb6RbLJs
Daddy’s Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbtPEQUUsE

Verses to Ponder:
Hebrews 4:14-16
"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to feel sympathy for our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
1 Peter 5:6-7,10
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you... And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'
Psalm 91:15
When he calls out to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble. I will deliver and honor him.

Psalm 34:18 The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

Psalm 145:18
The LORD is near to all who call on Him, to all who call out to Him in truth.

Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Isaiah 57:15
For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and humble of spirit, to restore the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the contrite.

Joel 2:13
So rend your hearts and not your garments, and return to the LORD your God. For He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and abounding in loving devotion. And He relents from sending disaster.

Be anxious for nothing but with prayer and supplication make your requests know….
Philippians 4:6-7 English Standard Version (ESV)
6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 46:4
even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.

Jeremiah 32:17
"Oh, Lord GOD! You have made the heavens and earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too difficult for You!

https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/prayer/ ... rises.html
https://www.christiantoday.com/article/ ... /77772.htm