God is "Tt" - "Zz"

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

God is "Tt" - "Zz"

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 am

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtS98aTGq0
Prayer: Father God thank you for this day. Thank you for Salvation in Jesus. Thank you for healing and for hope and for joy that all come from you. Please be with those who need a healing touch, provision or whatever needs we have. Help us all to set aside the cares of our lives for this time and simply receive from you. In Jesus name amen

We are finishing our couplets study tonight. I have enjoyed pondering them with you. The lady who wrote them, Sylvia Gunter has some great devotional material. What we have been doing is taking her couplets as a starting point and seeing what God uses those verses to say to us.
Tt
He is true riches. Eph 2:7
I have lost all things. Phil 3:8-9

He is true riches. Eph 2:7 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
Dodi Note: I don’t think this means “rich” as in a millionaire. I actually have a friend who is one and while she has no financial problems, other than that she deals with the same issues of life the rest of us do. So being “rich” in money is not the end all blessing.
What this DOES say is riches of his GRACE in KINDNESS toward us. I don’t know about you, but I am frequently not very deserving of the kindness of God. In fact for years the concept of kindness extended to me by God or man was so foreign. I could not imagine it. But God is KIND and GENTLE and SLOW to ANGER and abounding in grace. We are told exactly that in many places, especially the Psalms. (NEHEMIAH 9:31; EXODUS 34:6; NUMBERS 14:18; PSALM 86:5; PSALM 86:15; JOEL 2:13)
What are the wages of sin? Meaning what do we deserve as a result of our daily sin choices (remember this includes our thoughts of anger or revenge or doubt that pop up even if we never act on them). We deserve death right? The Bible says: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23. But God who gives us grace, meaning God gives us not what we DO deserve (death) but what do not deserve and could never earn (eternal life + forgiveness). I guess, God really is KIND and we really do have TRUE RICHES because of the grace and kindness of God.

I have lost all things. Phil 3:8-9 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith…
Dodi Note: This is Paul speaking. Remember him? Beaten, tortured, accused falsely, thrown in prison etc? There is another verse by Paul along the same lines. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. Philippians 4:11. I am trying during this season of my live to learn to content. Even when I feel all alone. Even when I can no longer do things I used to be able to do. No matter what, we CAN learn what Paul learned….the unsurpassing value of know Jesus.
Comments? Is that difficult for you too at times? To remember how much we DO have instead of focusing on what we do not have?
Or to focus as much on the good things in life as we do the negative things that bombard us all the time?

He is trustworthy. 2 Sam 7:28
I am thought about. Psalm 139:17

He is trustworthy. 2 Sam 7:28 And now, O Lord GOD, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant. ESV Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your covenant is trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant. NIV

I am thought about. Psalm 139:17 NLT How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!

He is truth. John 14:6
I have the belt of truth. Eph 6:14

He is truth. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Dodi Note: I LOVE this passage. Jesus the WAY and TRUTH and LIFE and he is also the ONLY way to eternal life in God. Also, I believe, the only way to full rich abundant life here and now, regardless of the circumstances of our lives.

I have the belt of truth. Eph 6:14 NIV Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,
Dodi Note: We have the Truth. It is found in the Word of God and the Person of the Holy Spirit. We are instructed to learn the Word/Bible and to trust the Living Word, Jesus and when we do that…when we know the Truth and The Truth we are set free. Free to “be” who God created us to be. Free from sin. Free to enjoy the life we have as we go about our daily lives and free to share that love with every person we encounter.

Uu
He is understanding. Isa 11:2
I have the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. Eph 1:17

He is understanding. Isa 11:2 And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
Dodi Note: This is a great reminder and reading it I was reminded of another passage which says, “ Psalm 139:1-4: “O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.” 
Beloved, God knows the desires of our heart, even those we are afraid to voice. He does see our foolishness but he also knows the wounds, the hurts and unmet needs that lead us to be foolish. And he understands totally why we do the things we do and also provides us the way out.

I have the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. Eph 1:17 16-18 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers and asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him. having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,
Dodi Note: Notice what is the outcome of wisdom and revelation. It is knowing Jesus. Knowing the HOPE to which he has called us. It is having HOPE and remembering Who Hope is no matter how difficult the moments are. And sometimes we do face situations where it is difficult to hope. But Hope is a person. Jesus. And he has promised NEVER to abandon us. Hebrews 6:19We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, 20where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

He upholds all things. Psalm 145:14
I am upheld by my Father. Deu 33:27

He upholds all things. Psalm 145:14 The LORD upholds all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. (or all who fall)
Also Col 1:17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
And Psalm 50:2 He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
Dodi Note: God created everything including you and me. God upholds/supports/establishes that which He has created. But that in not all…he stoops down and LIFTS us up when we fall. God did not just create the universe (or you and me) and set it into being and forget about it. No, God upholds all things. He is El Roi. God who sees, knows and cares. Maybe this thought can help us when our hearts are bowed down and it is hard to hope?

I am upheld by my Father. Deut 33:27 The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms. And he thrust out the enemy before you and said, ‘Destroy.’
Dodi Note: God is our Dwelling Place. His LOVE upholds us. And UNDERNEATH everything are His EVERLASTING arms of STEADFAST love for us. Just wow…right?

Vv
He is victorious warrior. Ex 15:3
I am on the winning side. Col 2:15

He is victorious warrior. Ex 15:3 The LORD is a man of war; the LORD is his name.
Dodi Note: The devil does prowl about. He does some damage too. There is a war in the spiritual realm, which is manifest at times in the natural realm. BUT God is our WARRIOR and He fights on our behalf. Jesus has defeated the devil once and for all. But on earth the war continues. I could never understand how those two contradictory things could both be true. Until Chip Ingram explained it once. The South Pacific after World War II Was Won
* • Pockets of guerilla warfare continued on hundreds of islands. 

* • The victory had been won, but battles continued and lives were lost; the bullets were 
real. 

* • The same is true spiritually:
1. 1. Satan was defeated at the Cross. 

2. 2. Sin’s penalty was paid for all people for all time. 

3. 3. Sin’s power was broken. 

4. 4. Yet, Satan and his host of fallen angels engage in guerilla warfare to discourage, deceive, divide, and destroy God’s people and God’s program. 

5. 5. Believers are commanded to equip and prepare themselves in the strength of the Lord and in His mighty power to stand firm against the enemy’s schemes, repel his multi-faceted attacks, and engage and defeat him in specific battles. Ephesians 6:10-12 

You can read or listen to the teaching here : https://livingontheedge.org/broadcast/s ... 1XNyy2ZNxg
We did his Spiritual Warfare series once and it really impacted my life. I think they are also on youtube.

I am on the winning side. Col 2:15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Let’s read a little context:

8See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
Dodi Note: We win because we are “in Christ”.

Jesus is the vine. John 15:1+
I am a branch of the true vine. John 15:5

Jesus is the vine. John 15:1+ 1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

I am a branch of the true vine. John 15:5
Dodi Note: Vines are neat. From one small stem they can grow up a tall tree. But if you cut that stem, the vine will shrivel up and die. Any part above the cut place will die. Any part below where it is still attached will flourish. Get it? We need to remain CONNECTED to Holy Spirit.

Ww
He is a wall of fire. Zech 2:5
I put on armor of light. Rom 13:12

He is a wall of fire. Zech 2:5 NLT Then I, myself, will be a protective wall of fire around Jerusalem, says the LORD. And I will be the glory inside the city!'"
Dodi Note: This was literal Jerusalem but it also symbolizes us as the children of God. God is indeed our shield and defense. Often we do not see the many ways God is protecting us and providing for us each day. But he always is. Bad things may have happened to you as a child or in life. Bad or difficult things may be going on now. But guess what? All of us here are alive. And even if we die, we will be with God in heaven. Because he IS our Wall.

I put on armor of light. Rom 13:12 NLT The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living.
Dodi Note: We do have a responsibility don’t we? It is expected that as a natural outcome of being born again our lives, our actions will change. No one intentionally keeps wearing dirty stinky clothes in the natural. If we fell in mud we would be very intentional about changing and bathing. Right? Same is true for dirty deeds and thoughts. We desire to GET RID of them ASAP.

Yy
He is Yahweh Psalm 68:4
I see him face to face. Numbers 12:8

He is Yahweh Psalm 68:4 Sing to God! Sing praises to His name. Exalt Him who rides on the clouds -- His name is Yahweh--and rejoice before Him. (Yahweh is more often translated LORD all caps)

I see him face to face. Numbers 12:8 With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”
Dodi Note: Hence the song we used.

Zz
He is zealous Isa 9:7
I am pressing onward. Phil 3:14

He is zealous Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
Dodi Note: God is passionate (zealous) in his LOVE for us. God is never wishy washy. He is able to create, establish and uphold us. Especially our hearts. I believe all that is essential stems from our heart and at new birth we are given a new heart. A heart that is pliable and can see/hear/know and even feel God’s presence and love and direction. And to me that is GOOD news indeed.
Eze 36:26 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

I am pressing onward. Phil 3:14 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have laid hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Dodi Note: We are all “in process”. We will have our ups and downs. But God who is faithful will complete the work he has begun in each of us. Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKzQjrMe-Ag Fear you are a liar