God is "Ss" ....

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

God is "Ss" ....

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 am

Song: Jesus Put This Song Into Our Hearts https://youtu.be/QC8rplIAc4w

Prayer: Father God, thank you for this time. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for this site where we can gather to sit at your feet and learn from you. Please help each of us set aside the cares of our lives for this time and simply “be” with you. Lord you know each of us intimately. You know our sorrows, our joys and our hopes. Help us to simply trust, lean and rely on you in all we do.
In Jesus name amen

We are continuing with our couplets from a booklet called Nuggets by Sylvia Gunter.

He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Heb 13:8
I am conficent in approaching God. Eph 3:12

He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Dodi Note: When you think about this it is so profound. Way back in Genesis 1 we see…The Trinity at work: 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
In the beginning… God (Elohim the plural Godhead) created. The Spirit of God, think Holy Spirit hovered over the face to the waters. And the Word of God went forth, think Jesus Living Word.
It is fun to read Genesis in the NOG translation which uses the actual names of God. Let me show us: In the beginning Elohim created heaven and earth.
2 The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep water. The Ruach Elohim was hovering over the water.
3 Then Elohim said, “Let there be light!” So there was light. 4 Elohim saw the light was good. So Elohim separated the light from the darkness. 5 Elohim named the light day, and the darkness he named night. There was evening, then morning—the first day.

Amazing and wonderful.
That same God is alive and active in our lives as well as on earth in general.

I am conficent in approaching God. Eph 3:12 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.
Dodi Note: Because God has ALWAYS been, he has also always been with and aware of us. He knows every single thing about us. Every hurt. Every joy. Every need. We are invited to go to God and receive ALL he has for us.

The Holy Spirit is a seal. 2 Cor 1:21-22
I am sealed by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13

The Holy Spirit is a seal. 2 Cor 1:21-22 21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, 22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
Dodi Note: To seal something means to mark as belonging to someone or something. Bible Study Tools says, A seal, in biblical times as today, is used to guarantee security or indicate ownership. Ancient seals were often made of wax, embedded with the personalized imprint of their guarantor. The Roman authorities used such a seal to secure Jesus' tomb ( Matt 27:66 ). A signet ring was also called a seal. It was valued among Israel's booty ( Num 31:50 ).
The significance of the act of sealing is dependent on the importance of the one doing the sealing.
Interesting? I think so.
We have been sealed and marked as Christ’s own. And God, Elohim, is THE most important being ever.

Here is that verse in NLT:
NLT 21 It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, 22 and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us.

Therefore:
We are sealed by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13 13 And now you Gentiles have also heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago.
Imagine, we have an invisible seal that marks each of us as belonging to God himself. That is symbolically the Presence of the Holy Spirit.
I guess that settles the doubt of “do we matter”. Or are we his forever? We DO matter and we are His forever. Those of us who are Born Again.

He searches hearts and minds. Revelatins 2:23
I am without blemish and free from accusation. Col. 1:22

He searches hearts and minds. Revelatins 2:23 This is a difficult passage. We are going to pick up some context. It says: I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.
In context:  Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. 21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. 22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. 23 I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.
This is speaking to the churches who have chosen to turn away and invite false teachers. God will simply not allow that and the children he is putting to death were never his own.
Instead of becoming fearful, remember our previous verse and the take away which is that GOD searches our minds and hearts and rewards us by our works. Someone claiming to be a prophet in this case or a Christian and NEVER actually following God at all or worse deceiving others into following false gods is seen. But our mistakes are seen too and no born again child of God would be doing deliberate deception or leading others FROM God. Right?
It also very clearly states that the could still repent.
And besides that…. we have JESUS as our cover and Advocate.

I am without blemish and free from accusation. Col. 1:22 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight—
In context: v 21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled
Dodi Note: we who were ONCE alienated and even enemies of God are NOW because of FAITH in Jesus reconciled to Him. And sealed. smile

Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father. Col 3:1
I am seated at the right hand of the Father with him. Eph 2:6

Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father. Col 3:1  If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
Dodi Note: When Jesus ascended, he sat at the right hand of Father. Don’t ask me how this works with the Trinity because I do not have words to explain it. Faith again.
But this I do understand:

We are seated at the right hand of the Father with him. Eph 2:6 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,  5even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Somehow we too are seated spiritually in heavenly places with God in Jesus.

The next couplet is simplier.
Jesus sends. John 20:21
I am sent as an ambassador. 2 Cor 5:20

Jesus sends. John 20:21  So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”
Dodi Note: We are his hands and feet on earth. Have your ever just sat with someone who is grieving? Or needed someone with skin on to just “be” with you during a difficult time? Jesus has SENT us forth to do just that. To “be” just that.
Therefore:
We are sent as a ambassadors. 2 Cor 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
Isaiah 6:8 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
An ambassador represents the country from which they were sent. Generally in an Embassy. But sometimes to make/sign a treaty. We are SENT out into our neighborhoods or where ever we go as Ambassadors, representatives of Jesus. Our job is to tell others by our words and our actions about the Good News of Salvation in Jesus.

He is the servant of God. isaiah 49:6
I am first because I am last. Mark 9:35

He is the servant of God. isaiah 49:6 Indeed He says,
‘It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant
To raise up the tribes of Jacob,
And to restore the preserved ones of Israel;
I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles,
That You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”
Dodi Note: This is one of prophetic passages pointing to the coming of Messiah Jesus.

I am first because I am last. Mark 9:35 35 And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.”
Dodi Note: Jesus came to serve. To minister to others. We as his disciples are called to do the same. Often if we are in a bad mood, or sad or whatever and instead of moaning or groaning, we choose to pray for another our hearts are lifted too, right? That is because the last are first. If we go out with gimme gimme attitude putting ourselves first the reward is much much less than if we go forth to love and serve others.

He sets the captives free. Isaiah 61:1
I am free indeed. John 8:32, 36

He sets the captives free. Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me,
Because the Lord has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
Dodi Note: I LOVE this passage in Isaiah. It is another of the prophetic passages.
Jesus came to preach good news, to touch-heal-restore the brokenhearted, to tell of FREEDOM found in Jesus and to set us free from the prison of self. Good news indeed and because Jesus did do all this and more:

We are free indeed. John 8:32, 36 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
AMEN?

He is the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1
I fear no evil. Psalm 23:4

He is the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
Dodi Note: Have you ever seen a really big bird flying and casting its shadow over earth? That shadow is bigger even than the bird. If we choose to trust God, to REST in Him during the crisis of life then we are abiding in his shadow. Gotquestions says: To “abide” is to live, continue, or remain; so, to abide in Christ is to live in Him or remain in Him. When a person is saved, he or she is described as being “in Christ” (Romans 8:1; 2 Corinthians 5:17), held secure in a permanent relationship (John 10:28–29). Therefore, abiding in Christ is not a special level of Christian experience, available only to a few; rather, it is the position of all true believers. The difference between those abiding in Christ and those not abiding in Christ is the difference between the saved and the unsaved.

Abiding in Christ is taught in 1 John 2:5–6, where it is synonymous with “knowing” Christ (verses 2 and 3). Later in the same chapter, John equates “remaining” in the Father and the Son with having the promise of eternal life (verses 24 and 25). Biblically, “abiding in,” “remaining in,” and “knowing” Christ are references to the same thing: salvation.

The phrase abiding in Christ pictures an intimate, close relationship, and not just a superficial acquaintance.
Therefore:
We fear no evil. Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Dodi Note: God IS all we need. He comforts and protects us.

He is my shield. Gen 15:1
I have the shield of faith. Eph 6:16

He is my shield. Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.”
A shield in Roman times was way bigger than we imagine now a days. Think huge. Also in relation to God, think force field shield on Star trek.

I have the shield of faith. Eph 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;
Dodi Note: Our faith and trust in God is in large part what shields us. And as in Roman times, when our Faith Shield is up, the lies and taunts of the devil will not penetrate.

He is my shelter. Isaiah 25:4
I am safe. Proverbs 18:10

He is my shelter. Isaiah 25:4 For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall,
Dodi Note: Do you need a shelter from the storms of life? I do. Do you need a safe place to rest your heart and mind? I do too. We have it:) His name is Holy Spirit.

I am safe. Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.
Dodi Note: We are kept eternally safe in/by and through the power of God. We can choose to run to “self” protection. God will let us or we can choose to run to God as our stronghold/fortress/safe place.

He is the sin-bearing sacrifice. Rom 3:25
I am no longer a slave to sin. Rom 6:6

He is the sin-bearing sacrifice. Rom 3:25 NLT For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past,
Dodi Note: I went and pulled this in NLT which makes it easy to understand.

Therefore: Because Jesus bore our sin, we are no longer a slave to sin. Rom 6:6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
Of course we live this out, one choice at a time, right?

The next couplet is important.
He is sinless. Heb 4:15
I am not tempted beyond what I can bear. 1 Cor 10:13

He is sinless. Heb 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Dodi Note: Jesus WAS tempted. We are tempted. Jesus never sinned. We have the power of God in us to resist sin.

We are not tempted beyone what we can bear. 1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
Dodi Note: Do you see this? I see it too. We are without the excuse of “but it is just too hard”.

He is slow to anger. Ex 34:6
I am made complete in His love. 1 John 4:17

He is slow to anger. Ex 34:6 The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness,
Dodi Note: This is VERY reassuring. God is merciful, full of mercy. God is gracious, full of grace. God is SLOW to anger and ABOUNDS in STEADFAST love and faithfullness toward us. Good news? VERY good news.

I am made complete in His love. 1 John 4:17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.
NLT And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world.
Dodi Note: This is a process. We are being made more and more into His image. One choice at a time.

He is my song. Exodus 15:2
I have a new song. Psalms 40:3

He is my song. Exodus 15:2 The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
Dodi Note: This is a good song too. The JOY of the LORD is my strength.

I have a new song. Psalms 40:3 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.
Dodi Note: God has put this song into our hearts. We just need to let it rise or arise from our hearts to our minds and our mouths as we learn to PRAISE God no matter how “it” seems.

God is Spirit of sonship (adoption). Rom 8:15b-16
I am adopted. Gal 4:5

God is Spirit of sonship (adoption). Rom 8:15b-16 15For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
I am adopted. Gal 4:5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.
Dodi Note: Isn’t this grand to remember?

The LORD is my Strength and my Shield. Psalm 28:7
I am helped. Psalm 28:7

The LORD is my Strength and my Shield. Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.
Dodi Note: Notice, shield again, right? But also this is impling a condition. “in Him my heart trusts AND THEN I am helped”. Do you see that?

And the outcome is in the same verse… we ARE helped. Whatever our need is, God is the source of help. God may use other people but God is still the source.
I am helped. Psalm 28:7

He is the stronghold of my life. Psalm 27:1
I am set free. John 8:32

He is the stronghold of my life. Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
I am set free. John 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

He is sufficient 2 Cor 12:9-10
I am strongest when I am weak. 2Cor 12:9-10

He is sufficient 2 Cor 12:9-10 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
Dodi Note: Paul had a thorn in his flesh. We do not know for sure what it was. Some people say physical, some say emotional and others offer different things. The fact is Paul needed, really needed and wanted God to heal him and probably like you and I he wanted it RIGHT NOW and in his own way. Ha ha. Right?

But God instead had a bigger lesson for Paul and for us via Paul’s writings. It was to trust God and entrust ourselves to His will, His way, His timing.

And when we do so…we become stronger. And pople “see” God. Sometimes, I think, seeing someone trusting God despite various trials is very faith building.
I am strongest when I am weak. 2Cor 12:9-10

He is my support. Psalm 18:18
I am known. 2 Tim 2:19

He is my support. Psalm 18:18 NLT They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, but the LORD supported me.
I am known. 2 Tim 2:19 But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

Dodi Note: Great way to end our time together. Remembering the goodness of God and how he is our protector and comfort. Have a blessed week.