God is "Rr" Our Redeemer, Ransom and more

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

God is "Rr" Our Redeemer, Ransom and more

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Prayer: Father God thank you for this time, this place and each person here tonight as well as those who may read the forum later. Help us all to set aside the cares of life and simply “be” with you during this time. We want and we need to know you more Abba, so help us “see” you in your Word. In Jesus name.

Jesus is my ransom. Matthew 20:28
I am ransomed. 1 Tim 2:6

Jesus is my ransom. Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Dodi Note: The author’s focus from this verse is that Jesus IS our Ransom. The online Bible Dictionary defines raansom as :the price or payment made for our redemption, as when it is said that the Son of man "gave his life a ransom for many" ( Matthew 20:28 ; Compare Acts 20:28 ; Romans 3:23 Romans 3:24 ; 1 Corinthians 6:19 1 Corinthians 6:20 ; Galatians 3:13 ; Galatians 4:4 Galatians 4:5 : Ephesians 1:7 ; Colossians 1:14 ; 1 Timothy 2:6 ; Titus 2:14 ; 1 Peter 1:18 1 Peter 1:19 . In all these passages the same idea is expressed).

This word is derived from the Fr. rancon; Lat. redemptio. The debt is represented not as cancelled but as fully paid. The slave or captive is not liberated by a mere gratuitous favour, but a ransom price has been paid, in consideration of which he is set free. The original owner receives back his alienated and lost possession because he has bought it back "with a price." This price or ransom (Gr. lutron) is always said to be Christ, his blood, His death. He secures our redemption by the payment of a ransom.
Isn’t that a nice full explanation? It might be interesting to look up all those verses, but not right now.
The main thing for us, and something I like to remember is that Jesus marked our debt for our sin, past-present-future, as PAID IN FULL We are set FREE from our very real debt (of which the price is death) by the shed Blood of Jesus.
There is another part of this scripture that draws my heart as well. Remember the verse we started with is Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Jesus came to SERVE not be served. And since we are Followers of Jesus, we too are to serve others.

I am ransomed. 1 Tim 2:6 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.
Dodi Note: At the proper time, the just right time Jesus was born of a virgin, the Incarnate Son of God. He came as our ransom to bear the death we deserved for our sin. As this verse says, He came for ALL men. (Men as in mankind including women). The trick is as we see in John 1:12 we have to receive his gift. John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
I have heard this process explained this way. A man had a bank account. One day someone gave him a million dollars by depositing it directly into his bank account. But the man did not realize it and never took any of that money out. He died a pauper. Jesus has deposited our ransom money in an account with our name on it. But we have to RECEIVE it by faith and then we can learn to live as free people. Rich in Christ, because of Christ to do GOOD works God has prepared ahead of time for us to walk in.
Salvation is a free gift for all people but each person needs to receive it (cash the check so to speak) for him/herself.
If you would like a link with a prayer you can go here. But remember two things. It is not the praying of a prayer that “saves” us, it is faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior. And we are saved not to get get get, but to give give give. Also we GROW in it just as Jesus Himself grew in wisdom and statue. Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

Jesus is my reconciliation. Rom. 5:11
I am reconciled to God. Rom 5:10

Jesus is my reconciliation. Rom. 5:11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
Dodi Note: Let’s see what reconciliation is. Reconciliation, in Christian theology, is an element of salvation that refers to the results of atonement. Reconciliation is the end of the estrangement, caused by original sin, between God and humanity.
Again, this is a gift which we must receive,
I am reconciled to God. Rom 5:10 For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
Dodi Note: This is self-explanatory.

He is Redeemer. Jeremiah 50:34
I am redeemed from the curse of the law. Gal 3:13

He is Redeemer. Jeremiah 50:34 Their Redeemer is strong; the LORD of hosts is his name. He will surely plead their cause, that he may give rest to the earth, but unrest to the inhabitants of Babylon.
Dodi Note: I assume inhabitants of Babylon refers to those who never receive Jesus as LORD and SAVIOR. And you know, there is an unrest there. A lack of peace or shalom.

I am redeemed from the curse of the law. Gal 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”—
Dodi Note: We hear this term a lot. “curse of the law”. What is it?
Gotquestions explains it: As opposed to the blessing, which is grace, the Law is a curse upon all mankind, none of whom can possibly fulfill its requirements. While the Law itself is perfect and holy, those who try to justify themselves before its holy Author bring not His blessing, but His curse upon themselves. The Bible itself tells us what the curse of the Law is: “All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.’ Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, ‘the righteous will live by faith.’ The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, ‘The man who does these things will live by them.’ Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree’” (Galatians 3:10–13).

What we must understand from this passage is that the curse is not the Law. The curse is the penalty levied for not keeping the Law. The “Book of the Law” refers to the covenant laws that God made with His people during the time of Moses. The Law can point out where we fail and fall short of God’s will, but it cannot pronounce us righteous; that was not its purpose.

In Galatians 3 the apostle Paul is telling us that everyone who does not keep the Law perfectly is cursed by it (Deuteronomy 27:26; Galatians 3:10). The reason is that no one can obey the Law perfectly. In fact, there were over 600 laws the Jews had to keep to be right in the eyes of God. he breaking of even one commandment put a person under condemnation. Trying to achieve salvation through obedience to the Law is futile. For example, we all regularly break the first and greatest commandment by failing to love God first with all our hearts, minds and strength (Matthew 22:37–38). As a result, everyone has broken the commandments, and everyone is cursed.

The Law demands perfection—an impossibility because we’re all sinful (Romans 3:10, 23). As a result, all who try to live by the Old Law were under a divine curse. But the good news is that Jesus Christ “redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us” (Galatians 3:13). Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross when He bore God’s curse. Paul explains how in his letter to the Romans: “God presented [Jesus] as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in His blood. He did this to demonstrate His justice, because in His forbearance He had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—He did it to demonstrate His justice at the present time, so as to be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus” (Romans 3:25–26). The curse of the Law fell on Christ on our behalf so that the righteousness of God could fall on us, though we did not deserve it (2 Corinthians 5:21).

I hope that helped.

He reigns. Revelaton 19:6
I receive what God has prepared for me. 1 Cor. 2:9-10

He reigns. Revelaton 19:6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Dodi Note: One day….one day…. Every knee will bow to the LORDSHIP of Jesus. And on that day the entire world will rejoice with great JOY.

I receive what God has prepared for me. 1 Cor. 2:9-10 9 However, as it is written:
“What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”—
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—
10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.
Dodi Note: Sometimes when things are difficult we forget. This is an excellent verse to memorize. It goes along with Jeremiah 29:11. God has GOOD plans for us. It is just sometimes we have to go through the mud first. If we look back we can probably all remember times when we felt abandoned by God but looking back now, years later we can see that indeed God was with us and did take care of us, just not as we hoped/wished in that moment.

He rejoices over me. Zep. 3:17
I am predestined for His purpose. Ephesians 1:11

He rejoices over me. Zep. 3:17 The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness;
   He will quiet you by his love;
He will exult over you with loud singing.
Dodi Note: One of my very favorite verses. God saves. God REJOICES over us. He is in the MIDST of all our messes. He is GLAD to be with us, even when we are upset. He QUIETS us by his love and he SINGS over us. With loud singing, which when we tune into it overshadows the world and all that stuff.

I am predestined for His purpose. Ephesians 1:11 In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,
Dodi Note: We, you and I have an inheritance in God and God Himself is active in every single aspect of our lives.

He removes my transgressions. Psalm 103:12
I am redeemed from the pit. Psalm 103:4

He removes my transgressions. Psalm 103:12 as far as the east is from the west,
    so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
Dodi Note: This in another verse that means a lot to me. If we could stand at the East Coast Beach and begin walking would we ever reach the West? Not really. It is a continual circle. Like the cycle of the sun or the moon. Our sin is GONE. East never touches West. There is no random line where east becomes west.
I am redeemed from the pit. Psalm 103:4 who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
Dodi Note: We are not just saved, we are redeemed, ransomed and then we are CROWNED with STEADFAST love and mercy.
Wow! Right?

He is my rescuer. Daniel 6:27
I am rescued. Jeremiah 15:20

He is my rescuer. Daniel 6:27 He delivers and rescues;
    He works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth,
He who has saved Daniel from the power of the lions.”
Dodi Note: Remember Daniel in the lion’s pit? Not harmed a bit. Same as in the firey furnace. Remember what he said? My God is ABLE to save me, but if He does not, He is still my God.
God delivers. God rescues. God works signs and wonders. He saves and rescues us.

I am rescued. Jeremiah 15:20 And I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you but they shall not prevail over you,
for I am with you to save you and deliver you, .declares the Lord.
Dodi Note: This is a promise and stands true for us today as well. We will fight battles in life but the enemy will NOT win because God will come and rescue us.
This verse inspired the song for today.

He is the restorer of my soul. Psalm 23:3
I am restored. 1 Peter 5:10

He is the restorer of my soul. Psalm 23:3   He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Dodi Note: Notice, he LEADS us, which implies we must CHOOSE to follow Him.

I am restored. 1 Peter 5:10  And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
Dodi Note: AFTER we HAVE suffered a little while, then he will restore, confirm, strengthen and establish us. Suffering is a part of life. All the great men of the Bible suffered. Jesus suffered. So why are we so surprised when we suffer?
But instead perhaps we need to remind each other…”the suffering is not forever” even if it seems like it is.
Prior to that we are instructed to resist the devil and… 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
Again we see… suffering just like death is a part of life. And really compared to many around the world who are being persecuted and killed, we are so very blessed.

Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life. John 11:25
I am raised to walk in newness of life. Romans 6:4

Jesus is the Resurrection and the Life. John 11:25  Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,
Dodi Note: Another GREAT reminder tonight. Our mortal bodies will die. But we are more than our bodies. We are spiritual beings and right now we are having a temporary body on earth experience. But we shall live eternally and in a new body that is perfect.
Context is story of Lazurus, we will pick up when Jesus arrives and look at the different reactions of Mary and Martha (his sisters).
17 Now when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off, 19 and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother. 20 So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”
Jesus Weeps
28 When she had said this, she went and called her sister Mary, saying in private, “The Teacher is here and is calling for you.” 29 And when she heard it, she rose quickly and went to him. 30 Now Jesus had not yet come into the village, but was still in the place where Martha had met him. 31 When the Jews who were with her in the house, consoling her, saw Mary rise quickly and go out, they followed her, supposing that she was going to the tomb to weep there. 32 Now when Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet, saying to him, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” 33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled. 34 And he said, “Where have you laid him?” They said to him, “Lord, come and see.” 35 Jesus wept. 36 So the Jews said, “See how he loved him!” 37 But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man also have kept this man from dying?”
Jesus Raises Lazarus
38 Then Jesus, deeply moved again, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. 39 Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, by this time there will be an odor, for he has been dead four days.” 40 Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” 41 So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this on account of the people standing around, that they may believe that you sent me.” 43 When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.” 44 The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”
We see a lot in this passage. One day we may study it in depth. First of all even though Jesus KNEW he was going to raise Lazarus, he still wept. Jesus had empathy.
Mary and Martha had very different reactions and contacts with Jesus. But Jesus simply met each of them where they were and LOVED them. Right?
We will run into people that are like sandpaper. We are to love them. We will also come across people who are like sweet honey and those are easy to be with.
God had a purpose in the Lazarus story and God has a purpose for every person we encounter.

I am raised to walk in newness of life. Romans 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
Dodi Note: We don’t have time to discuss the baptism part tonight. But what I want us to see is that when we are born again we will begin to “walk in newness of life”. That seems to imply a continual process. One by which we are more and more transformed into being “like” Jesus. And a main way is to extend love and forgiveness even to those “sandpaper” people in our lives.

He is the reviving One. Isaiah 57:15
My spirit and heart are revived. Isaiah 57:15

He is the reviving One. Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit to revive the spirit of the lowly,
and to revive the heart of the contrite.
Dodi Note: Some key concepts are that God inhabits eternity and is HOLY. Where does he dwell? Or when does he love to be with us, in manifest ways? When we are contrite (sorry for wrong doing) and lowly (not considering ourselves above others) and what will he do for us? Revive us. Think a nice cold drink of water on a sweltering hot day.

My spirit and heart are revived. Isaiah 57:15

God is the rewarder. Hebrews 11:6
I am a seeker of God, assured of reward. Hebrews 11:6

God is the rewarder. Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

I am a seeker of God, assured of reward. Hebrews 11:6
Dodi Note: Are you a seeker? I think your are or you would not be here. Then rest assured, you will be rewarded by God.

Jesus is the Royal Bridegroom. Isaiah 62:5
I am His bride. Isaiah 54:5

Jesus is the Royal Bridegroom. Isaiah 62:5 For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your sons marry you,
and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.

That did not make any sense to me. So I looked at the rest and changed to NLT.
Because I love Zion,
    I will not keep still.
Because my heart yearns for Jerusalem,
    I cannot remain silent.
I will not stop praying for her
    until her righteousness shines like the dawn,
    and her salvation blazes like a burning torch.

The nations will see your righteousness.
    World leaders will be blinded by your glory.
And you will be given a new name
    by the Lord’s own mouth.

The Lord will hold you in his hand for all to see—
    a splendid crown in the hand of God.

Never again will you be called “The Forsaken City”
    or “The Desolate Land.”
Your new name will be “The City of God’s Delight”
    and “The Bride of God,”
for the Lord delights in you
    and will claim you as his bride.

Your children will commit themselves to you, O Jerusalem,
    just as a young man commits himself to his bride.
Then God will rejoice over you
    as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride.
Dodi Note: That is better. A few key points for tonight, we are Jerusalem symbolically. We have a name change and a position change at new birth from FORSAKEN and DESOLATE to GOD’S DELIGHT and the BRIDE of CHRIST.
Yes all you guys as well. Brides. Loved. Cherished.

I am His bride. Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker (Creator) is your husband,
    the Lord of hosts is his name;
and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
    the God of the whole earth he is called.