"Dd" Defender and Deliverer

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

"Dd" Defender and Deliverer

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 am

We are on Dd this week. We are considering couplets about Who God is and our position in Him as a result. One reason we are doing this is to refresh our memory about how WONDERFUL God is and the benefits we each have because He is our Abba Father and we are his beloved children.
The couplets are from a book by Sylvia Gunter. We are going to look up the Scripture aligned to each one and discuss that.

Dd
He is my defender and defense Zech 9:15
I am secure Deut 33:12

He is my defender and defense Zech 9:15
ESV The Lord of hosts will protect them,
    and they shall devour, and tread down the sling stones,
and they shall drink and roar as if drunk with wine,
    and be full like a bowl,
    drenched like the corners of the altar.
Dodi Note: I read that and I am like, WHAT on earth is that saying?” So I looked at NLT.

NLT The Lord of Heaven’s Armies will protect his people,
    and they will defeat their enemies by hurling great stones.
They will shout in battle as though drunk with wine.
    They will be filled with blood like a bowl,
    drenched with blood like the corners of the altar.

Dodi Note: Remember for them, back in OT days, blood had a much larger significance in their day-to-day life. The blood offerings were a daily thing at the Temple. Also literally flinging stones was a part of battle. Remember when someone received the death penalty, they “stoned” him or her to death.

Also: (Looking up other places where God is said to be our defender)
Isaiah 19:20 It will be a sign and a witness to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt. When they cry to the Lord because of oppressors, he will send them a savior and defender, and deliver them.
Dodi Note: I wonder, I don’t know for sure, but I think this could have dual meaning. Pointing to Messiah Jesus but also looking back to the times God had done just that and rescued them from their enemies. Over and over in the OT we see examples of God defeating the enemies of Israel. Often supernaturally. One example is Joshua and the Battle of Jericho.

I want to share a synopsis I read online about that battle because it is a prime example of one time God defended his people totally supernaturally and at the end the author brings forth a good point in the form of a question.
The battle of Jericho (Joshua 1:1 - 6:25) featured one of the most astounding miracles in the Bible, proving that God stood with the Israelites.
After the death of Moses, God chose Joshua, son of Nun, to be the leader of the Israelite people. They set about to conquer the land of Canaan, under the Lord's guidance. God said to Joshua:
"Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9, NIV).

Spies from the Israelites sneaked into the walled city of Jericho and stayed at the house of Rahab, a prostitute. But Rahab had faith in God. She told the spies:
"I know that the Lord has given you this land and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you. We have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt ... When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. (Joshua 2:9-11, NIV)
She hid the spies from the king's soldiers, and when the time was right, she helped the spies escape out a window and down a rope, since her house was built into the city wall.
Rahab made the spies swear an oath. She promised not to give their plans away, and in return, they swore to spare Rahab and her family when the battle of Jericho began.

She was to tie a scarlet cord in her window as a sign of their protection.
Meanwhile, the Israelite people continued to move into Canaan. God commanded Joshua to have the priests carry the Ark of the Covenant into the center of the Jordan River, which was at flood stage. As soon as they stepped into the river, the water stopped flowing.

It piled up in heaps upstream and downstream, so the people could cross on dry ground. God performed a miracle for Joshua, just as he had done for Moses, by parting the Red Sea.
A Strange Miracle
God had a strange plan for the battle of Jericho. He told Joshua to have the armed men march around the city once each day, for six days. The priests were to carry the ark, blowing trumpets, but the soldiers were to keep silent.
On the seventh day, the assembly marched around the walls of Jericho seven times. Joshua told them that by God's order, every living thing in the city must be destroyed, except Rahab and her family. All articles of silver, gold, bronze, and iron were to go into the Lord's treasury.
At Joshua's command, the men gave a great shout, and Jericho's walls fell down flat! The Israelite army rushed in and conquered the city. Only Rahab and her family were spared.
Lessons From the Battle of Jericho Story
Joshua felt unqualified for the monumental task of taking over for Moses, but God promised to be with him every step of the way, just as he had been for Moses. This same God is with us today, protecting and guiding us.
Dodi Note: We often feel unqualified to live the life God has given us to live too, don’t we?

Rahab the prostitute made the right choice. She went with God, instead of the evil people of Jericho.
Joshua spared Rahab and her family in the battle of Jericho. In the New Testament, we learn that God favored Rehab by making her one of the ancestors of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World. Rehab is named in Matthew's genealogy of Jesus as the mother of Boaz and great-grandmother of King David. Although she'll forever bear the label "Rehab the harlot," her involvement in this story declares God’s peculiar grace and life-transforming power.

Joshua's strict obedience to God is a key lesson from this story. At every turn, Joshua did exactly as he was told and the Israelites prospered under his leadership. An ongoing theme in the Old Testament is that when the Jews obeyed God, they did well. When they disobeyed, the consequences were bad. The same is true for us today.

As Moses' apprentice, Joshua learned firsthand that he wouldn't always understand God's ways.
Human nature sometimes made Joshua want to question God's plans, but instead he chose to obey and watch what happened. Joshua is an excellent example of humility before God.

Questions for Reflection
Joshua's strong faith in God led him to obey, no matter how illogical God's command might be. Joshua also drew from the past, remembering the impossible deeds God had accomplished through Moses.
Do you trust God with your life? Have you forgotten how he brought you through past troubles? God has not changed and he never will. He promises to be with you wherever you go.

Another place we see God as our defender is in Psalm 18:1-3 1 I love you, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
But in GNT: How I love you, Lord! You are my defender. The Lord is my protector; he is my strong fortress. My God is my protection, and with him I am safe. He protects me like a shield; he defends me and keeps me safe.
Dodi Note: Did you notice how the Psalmist’s heart responded to the loving protection of God? He made a proclamation. I love you, O Lord, my strength etc. Sometimes it is GOOD to proclaim or speak the truth out loud, especially when we are floundering or under duress from things going on in our lives.

And again In Psalm 119:114 in GNT You are my defender and protector; I put my hope in your promise.
But in various versions…defender is translated refuge and shield, hiding place and shield, shelter and shield, place of safety and shield, fortress and shield, helper and protector…. at any rate we get the picture. When we are in need of PROTECTION, God is our safety, our defender and our defense.

The end result of having God as our Defender:
I am secure Deut 33:12
“The beloved of the Lord dwells in safety.
The High God surrounds him all day long,
    and dwells between his shoulders.”
Dodi Note: I LOVE this picture. Dwelling between his shoulders. Ever seen a great big Daddy carrying a small child close to their chest or on their back, piggyback?
We DWELL in safety because we ARE constantly surrounded by the LOVING Presence of God. Our Abba. Our Daddy.

Next couplet:
He is my deliverer Jer 15:11
I am delivered 2 Tim 4:18

He is my deliverer Jer 15:11 ESV The LORD said, “Have I not set you free for their good? Have I not pleaded for you before the enemy in the time of trouble and in the time of distress?

Dodi Note: In the surrounding text, Jeremiah is doing what he does fairly often…he is lamenting. He just said to God… 10Woe to me, my mother, that you have borne me As a man of strife and a man of contention to all the land! I have not lent, nor have men lent money to me, Yet everyone curses me.
Ever feel that way? I think probably we all can think of times when it seemed like the whole world was against us, and yet, looking back here we are safe and secure.
God is always on our side.

I am delivered 2 Tim 4:18 ESV The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Dodi Note: Love this reminder? I do. Ever seen it work out in your own life? Something has happened that is very difficult, wounding? Someone has caused harm to you? Either intentionally or inadvertently? And yet God has promised he WILL rescue us.

Anyone have an example of a time God did this in your life or the life of someone you know?
I think of girls heading into an abortion clinic who suddenly change their minds.
Or when we are late because of someone else’s fault and then see a wreck right where we would have been.

Next Couplet:
He was despised and rejected of men Isaiah 53:3
I am not rejected 1 Sam 12:22

He was despised and rejected of men Isaiah 53:3 ESV He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Dodi Note: Sometimes this is called the “suffering servant” passage.
2-12 For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people?

And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors.
Dodi Note: I think, just let that sink in. Jesus suffered. We will suffer. In fact Jesus TOLD us we would suffer. That is one reason I despise the WOF and Prosperity gospel. Jesus said, I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33). “These things” are found just before that 1“I have said all these things to you to keep you from falling away. 2They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3And they will do these things because they have not known the Father, nor me. 4But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you.
He went on to say: “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. 5But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your 7heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. 12“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Thank God we do have the Holy Spirit to help us.
As a side note, at his death they all did doubt, get scared, run away and hide. But Jesus RETURNED and RESTORED them

And back in John 15 He told the vine story then warned us, 18“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Why do we think life will be easy when we are born again? Why are we so shocked and even tempted to fall away or doubt when they do? Jesus TOLD us the truth. Sometimes life is just hard. BUT we know then end of the story. We have the example of Jesus and Paul and others that “in the end” when our story is told, we get to go to our true home, heaven, where there is NO sorrow etc.

Then end result:
I am not rejected 1 Sam 12:22 ESV For the LORD will not forsake his people, for his great name’s sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you a people for himself.
NLT The LORD will not abandon his people, because that would dishonor his great name. For it has pleased the LORD to make you his very own people.
GNT The LORD has made a solemn promise, and he will not abandon you, for he has decided to make you his own people.
We are ETERNALLY secure. People may reject us. At times we may even reject ourselves. But GOD will NEVER abandon us.

Next couplet is GREAT:

He is my dwelling place through all generations Psalm 90:1
I have a place prepared for me John 14:2-3

He is my dwelling place through all generations Psalm 90:1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations.
Dodi Note: Moses is praying and recounting some of the blessings of God.
v 1-2 1Lord, you have been our dwelling place
in all generations.
2Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
Then skipping to v 12-17
So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
13Return, O LORD! How long?
Have pity on your servants!
14Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,
that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
15Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
and for as many years as we have seen evil.
16Let your work be shown to your servants,
and your glorious power to their children.
17Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands!

THEREFORE: You and I have a place prepared for us. John 14:2-3 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

In more context: 1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4And you know the way to where I am going.”

Dodi Note: Marriage feast video and story
Let’s see what “marriage” was like in that culture. We are using https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/passage ... ent-israel

Marriage in ancient Israel was very different from marriage today. Although there is a great deal we do not know about Israelite marriage, the biblical texts that speak about it tell us that many Israelite marriage customs were unlike those of modern western societies.

First, although girls were expected to be virgins when they got married—and according to Deut 22:21 could even be put to death if they were found not to be—men were allowed to marry multiple women. It is hard to know how common polygamy, which entailed a husband being married to more than one woman, really was in ancient Israel.

In order to marry a girl, a man would give her father a gift (called mohar in Hebrew) that would seal the betrothal between the bride- and husband-to-be. Betrothal was a much firmer commitment than today’s engagement.

Though some people think of the betrothal gift as a purchase price, this is inaccurate. Anthropologists call this gift “bridewealth.” It is found in many societies throughout the world and is not considered a sale by people in those cultures—Israelite wives were not thought of as slaves in biblical texts, though men sometimes did marry slave women.

Some length of time after the betrothal, wedding festivities, often involving days of feasting, would occur.

So basically, when Jesus said, he was going to His Father’s house to prepare a room for us and when it was ready, he would come for us….his bride…. yes you men are brides too.
The short version is:
A man becomes engaged and the girl agrees to be his wife. Symbolized by drinking from a shared cup of wine. When we are born again we agree and are betrothed to Jesus… we then BELONG to Him.
When the girl had said yes and they had entered into a covenant, the guy when back to his father’s home. He worked for his father as usual. She stayed with her father. The guy built a room onto his father’s house and when his FATHER deemed it ready, he went back to marry his bride and bring her home. There was a great celebration lasting usually I think an entire week.
But notice the father decides the time. The girl did not know. The guy did not know exactly when it would happen either.
Do you see parallels?
Sometimes read about the marriage feast of the Lamb.

And with that fun fact, we conclude our time together this week. May the LORD bless us and keep us, may He turn His face to us and GIVE us His Shalom. Amen