"B" Believe and Be Blessed

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

"B" Believe and Be Blessed

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Song: Come to Jesus and Live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANiveIKVX0

Prayer: Lord God thank you for this day. Thank you for Jesus. Lord there are many needs represented here tonight. I ask you to gather each of us close to you and simply draw us to a place/time of rest. Help us to set aside the cares of life and simply be with you, sitting at your feet around your Word. In Jesus name amen

We are continuing our study of ABC couplets about God and who we are in Christ. Once we have our identity set in Messiah, then we can be like ducks and let what the world, others or even our own negative self-talk tells us roll off us like water off a duck.
We ARE simply who God says we are. No more and no less. None of us were created to live defeated lives, we were created to live in JOY and PEACE.

We are using a book by Sylvia Gunter as a jumping off place.

Jesus is the Beloved Son of God
Matt 3:17 NLT
I am accepted in the Beloved
Eph 1:6 NKJ

Jesus is the Beloved Son of God
Matt 3:17 NLT 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”
Dodi Note: Can you imagine the scene? Jesus has come to the Jordan River to be baptized by John, the same cousin who recognized him back when they were both in the womb. John is preaching, ““Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” (V2). It was a baptism for repentance. Back in those times, baptism was a common event. The Jewish people were baptized on different occasions and for different purposes. The actual word "Baptism" is a transliteration of the Greek word BAPTIZO which means to immerse. In Hebrew it is referred to as a MIKVEH - an immersion.
Hebrew people were “baptized” when:
According to one source Jesus was baptized because he was fulfilling all righteousness involved obedience to the Levitical law. All priests were consecrated when they came to 30 years of age. It is recorded that Y'shua (Jesus in English) ‘was about 30 years of age' when he came to John. (Number 4: 3 & Luke 3:23)
The consecration was two-fold 1. Washing i.e. baptism 2. Anointing (Exodus 29: 4-7; Leviticus 8: 6-36)
Through His baptism, in the washing of the water and the anointing of the Ruach HaKodesh (Spirit of God i.e. Holy Spirit) in the form of a dove (Matt.3:16), He was fulfilling the Father's righteous requirements of ritual cleansing for consecration under the Levitical priesthood, and also for the new status of ordination to His Eternal Priesthood after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4 & Hebrews 7:21). He was thus legally justified and divinely consecrated for the work of redemption. (Ex.29:4 ; Acts 4:27; & 10:38)
So basically, Jesus was making a public declaration of a major shift in His life. He was entering a new stage of life. Entering that for which He came, which ultimately led to death on the cross for our redemption.
And Abba, our Father and His was PLEASED.

Source: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_Ro ... on/Baptism
That is a fascinating article to read.

Neat?
I also when reading it wondered something. John was saying that the call for the baptism of repentance was due to the Kingdom of Heaven being at hand. And it was wasn’t it? Jesus Himself, the Redeemer of the World had come. The Kingdom of God was right there, the Beloved Son of God beginning His ministry here on earth. Bringing salvation to them and to each of us.
THEREFORE:
I am accepted in the Beloved
Eph 1:6 NKJ 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
Dodi Note: We, you and I ARE accepted in the Beloved, Jesus. Because of His sacrifice, we are accepted now and forever. Let’s try to remember that when life is trying to tell us otherwise. Remember last week we discussed, God is Abba, Father. Rom 8:15-16
I am Abba’s child. Rom 8:15-16

Next couplet:
He blesses
Psalm 67:7
I am blessed Psalm 2:12

He blesses Psalm 67:7 ESV God shall bless us,
And all the ends of the earth shall fear Him.
Dodi Note: We are told in this Psalm that God SHALL bless us. That is 100% positively guaranteed. And the second part is that ALL the ENDS of the earth SHALL fear (including reverence Him as wholly who He is, HOLY).
A question for us might be….Are we living our entire life in “fear” of God? Not AFRAID of God but with respect and a desire to do his will. A desire to follow His way not because we are afraid of punishment but because we LOVE him and want to be pleasing in His sight?
There are two kinds of love bonds according to research. There are fear bonds and pure love bonds.
In a family growing up we had both sorts. We were afraid to disobey our parents because we knew that if/when we did there would be consequences. Right? But also we wanted their approval and we wanted to be just like them, part of the family, when we grew up.
A fear bond modifies behavior in the moment but a pure love bond changes who we are internally and externally.

THEREFORE:
I am blessed Psalm 2:12 I am blessed Psalm 2:12 Kiss the Son,
    lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
    for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
NLT Submit to God’s royal son, or he will become angry,
    and you will be destroyed in the midst of all your activities—
for his anger flares up in an instant.
    But what joy for all who take refuge in him!

Dodi Note: There is a stark contrast here. We can kiss (submit) to the LORD because we are afraid of his anger OR we can choose to TAKE REFUGE in the LORD.
What will we choose?
Let me show you something from The Life Model.
Whatever emotions our parents use to motivate us become our internal source of motivation during life. If these early bonds form from love and closeness they serve us well but if they form from fear and the avoidance of pain our motivational system stays immature.
Fear bonds form as the result of failed attempts at self-preservation. While self- preservation is the great value of fear, early experiences in fearful relationships we cannot escape, produce very negative and upsetting internal emotions. When these unpleasant emotions exceed our capacity to return to joy and quiet on our own, we begin to avoid pain as a form of self-preservation. After a while, avoiding pain becomes the central focus of fear bonds even when there is no real risk of overwhelming our capacity.
Once avoiding pain becomes the goal we hear phrases like, “What if he gets mad?” “Are you going to be upset?” “I’m afraid that—fill in the blank” “I’d be too embarrassed!” “You are really pissing me off!” “I have to make him/it stop.” I can’t stand it when...” “What difference will it make?”

What we discover in many people who are fear-bonded and motivated is a loss and obscuring of personal feelings, thoughts, values and desires. They are afraid to make an impact on others. Often the fear is that they will not have an impact or make a difference. Fear bonded people are also quite confused about what fears are theirs and which ones belong to others. Just being around anxious people makes them edgy or distressed. They often withdraw, placate, entertain or please others to make the fear stop. Often the result is that they take on responsibilities that are not theirs because they are afraid of what will happen if they don’t. Other times they shrink back from their duties because they feel inadequate.

Love Bonds, which are the sort we are TOTALLY safe to have with our Abba whose desire is to bless us result in:
Being able to act like our true self. The person God created us to be. We can safely and honestly go to God no matter how we feel, angry, hurt, happy, sad, joyful and expect to be…. Ready? BLESSED.

Jesus is the Blood of the Lamb that cleanses me from sin
1 John 1:7b
I am clean
John 15:3

Jesus is the Blood of the Lamb that cleanses me from sin
1 John 1:7b 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
Dodi Note: Great verse. If we walk in the Light of Jesus, then we are able to fellowship with one another. And He cleanses us from all sin.
Remember those fear vs love bonds? When we relate to God from love, when we remember who he is and that His desire is to bless us, then when do sin, we can go to God. Admit our wrongdoing and receive His forgiveness.
In the old times, God’s people had to literally offer the blood of a lamb for atonement. We have the Blood of Jesus shed for our sin on the Cross.

THEREFORE:
We are clean
John 15:3 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.
Dodi Note: Not if, (other than accept it), not by any “getting it right” or “cleaning up my act”, simply because Jesus says so. Just because the Blood of the Lamb of God has been applied to our lives at new birth.

Jesus is The Bread of Life
John 6:35
I am filled with good things
Luke 1:53

Jesus is The Bread of Life
John 6:35 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
Dodi Note: I believe he is speaking of spiritual food, but also literal food. We need literal food to live. But we don’t need steak and lobster, although those are nice.
Even more we need Jesus and He is The Bread of Life.
We also need water to live. Literal water and Living Water.

THEREFORE:
We are filled with good things
Luke 1:53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
    and the rich he has sent away empty.
Dodi Note: If we think we are all that and then some, better than anyone else because of ANY reason then we are in for a rude awakening. The rich, those who are haughty and think they have it all together, will be send away craving more and more for they will never be satisfied. We can be and are satisfied when we look to, trust, lean and rely on God to supply ALL our needs. Physical, Spiritual and Emotional.

He is The Bright Morning Star
Rev 22:16
I am rescued from the dominion of darkness

Col 1:13 He is The Bright Morning Star
Rev 22:16 16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”
Dodi Note: I had heard this verse and even heard the phrase “Brignt Morning Star” in a song. But one day, driving to babysit just as dawn began it became so real. The sky was still dark, there was a sliver moon and a bright bright star. Slowly the sky began to lighten but that one star (and the sliver moon) remained visible even as morning came and all the other stars disappeared. That “Bright Morning Star” simply took my breath away and my heart realized that the LIGHT of GOD is bigger than all the darkness in the world and even brighter than the brightest day. Of course eventually it faded from view but I knew it was still there.

I am rescued from the dominion of darkness
Col 1:13 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son,
Dodi Note: Notice the tense here. He HAS delivered us. It is a done deed. We ARE members of the kingdom of Jesus. Will we still have trials? Of course there are snipers out there who don’t realize they already lost and they fire real bullets which can maim or even kill our earthly body. But we have a secure and wonderful place in Heaven just waiting for us.
This verse also can allude to being set free from our bondage to our sin nature and transferred into a new nature. Will we sin? YES. Will we recognize and repent? Yes.
Before we were delivered we sinned and did not even care.

Jesus is my brother
John 20:17
I am the brother of our Lord
Heb 2:11

Jesus is my brother
John 20:17 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
Dodi Note: His Father and our Father. His God and our God.

THEREFORE:
I am the brother of our Lord
Heb 2:11  For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers
Dodi Note: Imagine…. Jesus is our Savior but also our brother. And not a bratty brother either.

He is The Burden Bearer
Matthew 11:30
I am lifted out of the depths
Psalm 30:1

He is The Burden Bearer
Matthew 11:30 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Let’s see the first part of that. It is one of my favorite passages. Especially when I am upset.
28-30 ESV 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
NLT Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
CEV If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. 
You get the idea? When life is just too much, when we are overwhelmed and we simply don’t think we can go on, the invitations waits for us…Come to Jesus and live. Let Him carry that load, even better let Him carry us. We can you know? He will do it.

THEREFORE:
I am lifted out of the depths
Psalm 30:1 I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up
    and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
Dodi Note: No matter what is going on, no matter who has said what about us, or done to us….no matter what we think, the truth is we can praise God because he WILL protect and defend us.

Life Model: http://www.lifemodel.org/download/Chang ... 20Love.pdf