Biblical Hope Part 2 &3

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

Biblical Hope Part 2 &3

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 am

WEEK TWO
Song: Get Your Hopes UP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6FZzIy6VjA
Lord I Come, I Confess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rR_Rdb1CTE

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.”

Prayer: Father God thank you for this time and this place and these people. Lord help us to set aside the cares and hurts of our lives, the worries and concerns, the what is, what if and everything in between and simply be with you as we gather around your Word. Bless us and those we love with healing and conviction and all we need in Jesus name amen. And Abba thank you for loving us. amen

We began considering hope last week and discussed a few key concepts from scripture. Here is a partial recap: Most people understand hope as wishful thinking, as in "I hope something will happen." This is not what the Bible means by hope. The biblical definition of hope is "confident expectation." Hope is a firm assurance regarding things that are unclear and unknown (Romans 8:24-25; Hebrews 11:1, 7).
Hope is a fundamental component of the life of the righteous (Proverbs 23:18). Without hope, life loses its meaning
The righteous, who have this trustful hope in God, have a general confidence in God's protection and help
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Tonight we begin with:
Hope frees us from fear and anxiety
Psalm 46:2-3. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
Dodi Note: Fear will just come. There are scary things in life. Doctor reports. Loss of loved ones. Financial problems. Lost car keys…but we then CHOOSE to rehearse the fear or we choose to rehearse the truth. These last two verses can be linked together in a sense. Something happens, we feel scared and then we remember, WAIT GOD SAID he has good plans for my life. See?

The New Testament idea of hope is the recognition that in Christ is found the fulfillment of the Old Testament promises
Matthew 12:21, and in his name the Gentiles will hope.”
Dodi Note: And we do dont we? Most if not all of us have chosen to follow Jesus as Lord and Savior. We are the Gentiles referred to here so long ago who would one day “hope” in the Name of Jesus. Remember we talked about Jesus literally being HOPE with a capital H? Hope as the anchor for our soul?

Another one referring to Jesus as Hope in a way, or explaining part of what Hope in Jesus gives us is 1 Peter 1:3.  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Dodi Note: Thank you LORD! We are born again. Born to a new nature, no longer bound to the sin nature and given the PROMISE of eternal life in heaven.

Christian hope is rooted in faith in the divine salvation in Christ
Galatians 5:5. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness.
Dodi Note: How do we hope? Through the Spirit and by faith. Meaning choosing to trust that God is true to His Word. Hope is not something we have to drum up, it's more like we relax into it. It comes through the Spirit (which we get at new birth) and by faith…. which is trust and trust is a choice.

Trust is also a discipline. We kind of train ourselves to trust God one choice at a time. Each time we fall at his feet when our heart is overwhelmed by the circumstances of life, we ARE exercising our faith and trust muscles.

Have you ever considered that crying out to God is activating both faith and trust? When my husband was so ill and I would get in the car and wail, " I can't do this!" I was choosing honesty and trust and faith. Each time your heart leaks (tears) you are in a way trusting God.

Hope of Christians is brought into being through the presence of the promised Holy Spirit
Romans 8:24-25. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Dodi Note: somethime this passage is gobblygook but other times it brings such peace. Let’s read it and listen with our hearts instead of our minds: For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Lord give us the patience and the ability to REST in Hope. Especially when we feel like life is just too hard for us. Thank you Jesus amen.

It is the future hope of the resurrection of the dead
Acts 23:6, Now when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, “Brothers, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees. It is with respect to the hope and the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial.”

Dodi Note: Sadducees and Pharisees did not agree on much. Paul is in a sense saying even though he is a Pharisee, he has set his HOPE on Jesus and the truth of the Resurrection. We also have that hope. If you watched any of the Billy Graham memorial stuff this week that was very evident and pointed us to the Living Hope found in Salvation in Jesus.

The promises given to Israel
(Acts 26:6-7),  And now I stand here on trial because of my hope in the promise made by God to our fathers, to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship night and day. And for this hope I am accused by Jews, O king!

Dodi Note: Paul knew the OT. We have access to both the OT and the NT. Paul is affirming that indeed Jesus was the fulfillment of all the OT prophencies regarding Messiah. We have even more knowledge available to us.

The redemption of the body and of the whole creation
(Romans 8:23-25),  And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.  For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Dodi Note: Are you noticing that this phrase or simlar ones are repeated? “ But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.”
Is it as hard for you to wait for the answers or provision we seek as it is sometimes for me? We HOPE for WHAT we do NOT SEE. And we WAIT with PATIENCE…. or that is the goal… ha ha… the hope :) smile

Hope of eternal glory
(Colossians 1:27),  To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Dodi Note: That is a mystery isnt it? Christ literally in us? The Holy Spirit indwelling us? And yet we can all point to times when His presence was very real. Anyone want to give an example?

Mine is whenever I finally sit down to write the Bible Studies for Monday night. I have nothing to give but as I get into the Word the HS begins to lead me….and if no one else is touched, I am. And reminded that God’s love for me and for you is eternal and forever.

Hope of eternal life and the inheritance of the saints
(Titus 3:5-7),  he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,  so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Dodi Note: This is a great hope… that of eternal life in Jesus. Hope and more than hope the promise of being heirs with Jesus.

Hope in the return of Christ
(Titus 2:11-14),  For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,  training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
Dodi Note: Jesus is coming back. And the dead in Christ will be with Him. And those who are in Christ still alive will be changed in a twinking of an eye. There will be no more death, or sorrow or any need. Just life with Jesus and without the trials of our earthly lives.

Hope in our transformation into the likeness of Christ
(1 John 3:2-3), Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.  And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

Dodi Note: I like this promise. But it also implies that process of being refined, doesnt it? Maybe when we are in the Refiner’s Fire we can remember this hope. :) I wonder if we activated Biblical faith and hope while we were in one of those transforming trial and were able to rest instead of struggle if it would be easier? Like Abraham's son did. Interesting thought isn't it?

Hope in the salvation of God
(1 Timothy 4:10) For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Dodi Note: “we have set our hope”….doesnt that imply a choice followed by an action? When we begin to doubt we can remember that we can reset our hope on Jesus who is our Hope.

MY ABSOLUTE favorite one… Hope being simply Christ Himself
(1 Timothy 1:1). Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
Dodi Note: and that is where we stop for tonight. I pray that when life seems hopeless, we can remember we are NEVER without hope, even if we don’t feel it. The reason is JESUS IS HOPE.

WEEK THREE
Comments are welcomed at any time, just type and post them as we go along.
Song: My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5w_2IXvuA
Closing Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLxZEU02uI Cornerstone

Prayer: Lord God thank you for your love for each of us. Thank you for this place eye provides for us to meet. I ask your blessing over each person here and those we love. Also for those who are not here tonight. May each of us receive an infusion of your love and hope. Help us to set aside the cares of this day and simply “be” with you for this time. We ask in Jesus name amen.

Funny isnt it? We do often need an INFUSION or more likely a RELEASE of the PRESENCE of God in a tangible way.

We began considering hope two weeks ago and discussed a few key concepts from scripture. Here is a partial recap: Most people understand hope as wishful thinking, as in "I hope something will happen." This is not what the Bible means by hope. The biblical definition of hope is "confident expectation." Hope is a firm assurance regarding things that are unclear and unknown (Romans 8:24-25; Hebrews 11:1, 7).
Hope is a fundamental component of the life of the righteous (Proverbs 23:18). Without hope, life loses its meaning
The righteous, who have this trustful hope in God, have a general confidence in God's protection and help
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
Some key concepts we discussed last week were:

Hope frees us from fear and anxiety (Psalm 46:2-3).
The New Testament idea of hope is the recognition that in Christ is found the fulfillment of the Old Testament promises. Matthew 12:21
Jesus is our hope. 1 Peter 1:3.

Christian hope is rooted in faith in the divine salvation in Christ (Galatians 5:5.)

Hope of Christians is brought into being through the presence of the promised Holy Spirit
Romans 8:24-25.
It is the future hope of the resurrection of the dead (Acts 23:6)
The promises given to Israel (Acts 26:6-7),  

The redemption of the body and of the whole creation. (Romans 8:23-25)

Hope of eternal glory. (Colossians 1:27)

Hope of eternal life and the inheritance of the saints. (Titus 3:5-7)
Hope in the return of Christ

Hope in our transformation into the likeness of Christ. (1 John 3:2-3)
Hope in the salvation of God. (1 Timothy 4:10)
and….
MY ABSOLUTE favorite one… Hope being simply Christ Himself. (1 Timothy 1:1)

Tonight we will look at a few more. I have really enjoyed this study and pondering the richness of what hope really is.

Hope is the certainty of this blessed future is guaranteed through the indwelling of the Spirit (Romans 8:23-25),  And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.  For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Dodi Note: this verse is the same one we looked at before. This time the focus is on the promise of the literal indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In another place that is described as the promise or seal of our redemption. And even in this verse we are reminded that often as we wait we groan inwardly.

Often the world or people around us or even we ourselves place a false expectation on us. That being that because we are Christians everything will be easy. That is rubbish. Jesus himself begged God to remove the cup, meaning death on the cross. Elsewhere it all says all creation groans. So if/when you groan over the things going on take heart and feel no shame or guilt. And I will try to remember this as well.

I heard a story at Sunday School that I am reminded of. The topic was simply using, saying, (groaning?) the name of Jesus when that is the only thing you can do. A lady went to her car one night. It was dark and suddenly out of nowhere two men grabbed her. One had his arm across her neck, the other was trying to snatch her purse I think it was. The lady was so scared and yelled “Jesus”. As soon as she did that one man backed off. She groaned it again in her terror it was all she could think/say/do and the other man let go. Then they both ran off. Later the police caught those men and she went down to identify them. Turns out…when she groaned/yelled “Jesus” those men suddenly saw two HUGE men come up behind her. The lady, of course, did not see them. Angels….We have the Holy Spirit indwelling us, that is our hope but really it is a sure and certain promise. I just thought you all would like to hear this story.

Hope is Christ in us (Colossians 1:27), To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
Dodi Note: Christ in you! Christ IN you. Christ in YOU!!!!! The Hope of glory.

Hope reminds us of the resurrection of Christ (Acts 2:26). therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
my flesh also will dwell in hope.
Dodi Note: And enables us that we can and do dwell in Hope. Jesus. Who rose from the dead and who will raise us up too. Just like he himself was raised from death to life.

The next few are a little less fun to contemplate. At the same time remembering this will help us when we are in that difficult sort of season or moment. Thinking of "seasons" and "moments" I had a very interesting thought. During those difficult seasons of life we still have precious good moments. Right? Conversely during those lovely mainly peaceful seasons there are still difficult moments. What if we could remember to remind ourselves that hard moments always pass and even difficult seasons have good moments. Wouldn't that be grandly helpful? And remind us of Hope?

Hope is produced by endurance through suffering (Romans 5:2-5) Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,  and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Dodi Note: it says hope is produced through suffering. I guess we need the contrast and to learn by experience that God will get us through. We may not remain the same. I am not at all the same as I was even 5 years ago. I doubt you are either.
Then it tells us the why/how. It is because of the Emmanuel presence of God. It is because during the trials of life we do have access by faith (choosing to believe God) to GRACE , who is also part of who Jesus is.
Then Paul, who has experienced trials we can only imagine, goes on to tell us......but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,  and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,  and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Do you see the bottom line? God's own love is poured out into our hearts.
Kind of like our suffering and pain and the tears we shed frees up a place in our heart that is then filled with LOVE.

Hope is the inspiration behind endurance 1 Thessalonians 1:3;  remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Dodi Note: Hope allows us TO endure. Don't you love the phrase steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ?

And Hebrews 6:11.  And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end,
Dodi Note: Paul again. Ha ha. The same one who endured horrible persecution in order to spread the Salvation message, encourages them and us to be earnest, diligent?, in having full assurance of Hope until the end. Last week several people I knew well for most of my life as a Christian died. John was visited a few days before he died. You know what he was doing? Reading his beloved Bible. Cheryl send a last message out on Facebook. It totally pointed to her hope is Jesus, no matter if she lived or died.
My brother, Joe is awaiting a PET scan this week to see if a cancer has returned. He has said if he lives he is glad if he dies he trusts God. How do they do this? It can only be that when we are in great need God gives us GRACE in that moment and for that moment. Hope until the end.

Those who hope in Christ will see Christ exalted in life and in death (Philippians 1:20). as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.

Dodi Note: And Paul did this. As did the disciples. And as did and do those friends. And as I see many of you doing also. God will enable us. God will be with us. In ALL our moments and seasons.

Trustworthy promises from God give us hope (Hebrews 6:18-19),  so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain…

Dodi Note: guys let's remember this when we are facing that "stuff" of life. God has given us promises in his Word. We need to search them out, apply them, and live in them. Maybe Promises of God would be a neat study sometime.

And we may boast in this hope (Hebrews 3:6)but Christ is faithful over God’s house as a son. And we are his house, if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

Dodi Note: This has one of those " if then" clauses. If we choose to hold fast to our confident hope in God. That God is with, for us, and will get us through this.
and exhibit great boldness in our faith (2 Corinthians 3:12).Since we have such a hope, we are very bold,

By contrast, those who do not place their trust in God are said to be without hope (Ephesians 2:12, remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

Dodi Note: We definitely do not want to live like this. Sometimes we might need to ask another to pray for us. To stand with us at least for a time. To remind us of Truth. Or we can come be refreshed in the Word here like I hope we are tonight.

1 Thessalonians 4:13).But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
Dodi Note: Always read at funerals in church and always true.

Hope is, along with faith and love, an enduring virtue of the Christian life (1 Corinthians 13:13),  So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Dodi Note: It says, faith, hope and love abide but the greatest is love. Looking at this, it is kind of in correct sequence as well. Without faith, we have NO hope. Right? Without hope, wouldnt it be kind of hard to love others when we are being battered ourselves by life? And yet, I see people right in this room who are going through situations so difficult and they come and love us here by sharing truth with us. Isnt that interesting to see in a sense how Biblical hope enables us to LOVE?

Love springs from hope (Colossians 1:4-5). since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven. Of this you have heard before in the word of the truth, the gospel,

Dodi Note: Oh, the author says the same thing and backs it up with a verse. These people In Colossia were known as loving people and Paul is attributing that to their hope in Messiah and the promises of God.

Paul attributes his apostolic calling to the hope of eternal glory (Titus 1:1-2). Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began
Dodi Note: You know, reading this I am reminded of a truth that Paul lived by and which we sometimes need to remember. This earth is NOT our home. We are visiting here. We have an ETERNAL home and one day there will be a new heaven and a new earth. One where there is no sorrow or tears or sickness or suffering. But until that time, we cling to Jesus and the Truth of the Word.

Hope in the return of Christ is the basis for believers to purify themselves in this life (Titus 2:11-14,  For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and lto live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Dodi Note: This is not a fluffy request. It is in a large part what the trials of this life accompolish for us. We are to do all that is in our power to live self-controlled (by surrendering control to the indwelling Spirt), upright and godly lives as we wait for the return of Jesus (or our homecoming). Not an easy task at times, but one we hope for. And when we mess up, we simply turn in repentence or sorrow and ask for forgiveness and help.
The next verse goes with it: 1 John 3:3.And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

The next one is way cool and I wish I had more of it.

Hope produces joy and peace in believers through the power of the Spirit (Romans 12:12; 15:13). Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
Dodi Note: I REALLY like this prayer by Paul for the Roman community. He did not ask for more trials to develop more hope. Remember he mentioned that in other places? Here he asks GOD to FILL us with all joy and peace so that we can abound in hope.
Let’s get some, or ask for some.
Father God we need this sort of hope. Often we simply cant drum it up. Or joy or peace or love. It is especially hard when life is hard. So Father God, I ask you give us a fresh infusion of hope, and joy and love and peace even as we listen/read this. We choose to trust you God, even when things are hard. And we thank you for your love for us. In the name of Jesus who is our Hope, amen.

Thank you for coming. I enjoyed this study immensely. See you next time and the room is open for fellowship.

Psalm 62:5 My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.
Psalm 27:14 Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.
Psalm 31:14 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all you that hope in the LORD.
Psalm 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined to me, and heard my cry.
Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, and in his word do I hope.

Snowbunny shared a song that was a wonderful ending. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjXVFDRqQk
LORD YOU ARE