JOY

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

JOY

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 am

Welcome to the Monday night Bible study. This is Shalom Dodi speaking. Tonight I will be leading us as we consider JOY. What is joy? Where does it come from? How do we get it?

Generally our format is: Welcome, Song, Prayer, Lesson, Closing but tonight we are doing Prayer first then the song.

Prayer: Father God thank you for that joy that is the source of our strength. Lord as we listen to this song, help us to engage our hearts with yours. Lord there are all sorts of cares and burdens filling our hearts and minds tonight. People we love, our own “issues” where we need a touch from you. I ask that we each choose to set those aside for this bit of time and simply RUN to YOUR ARMS of love. Especially as we listen to this song, in Jesus name amen.

Song Joy by Rend Collective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDiETOLBvxA
Lyrics: We're choosing celebration
Breaking into freedom
You're the song
You're the song
Of our hearts

We cast aside our shadows
Trust You with our sorrows
You're the song
You're the song
Of our hearts

We're dancing to the rhythm of Your heart
We're rising from the ashes to the stars

You're the joy joy joy lighting my soul
The joy joy joy making me whole
Though I'm broken, I am running
Into Your arms of love

The pain will not define us
Joy will reignite us

You're the song
You're the song
Of our hearts
The dark is just a canvas
For Your grace and brightness
You're the song
You're the song
Of our hearts

We're dancing to the rhythm of Your heart
We're rising from the ashes to the stars

Though I'm…

Into Your arms of love
You're the joy
The song in my heart
The hope of my soul

In the shadows
In the sorrows
In the desert
When the pain hits
You are constant
Ever-present
You're the song of my heart

In the shadows
In the sorrows
In the desert
When the pain hits
You are constant
Ever-present
You're the song of my heart
Into Your arms of love
Into Your arms
Songwriters: Ali Gilkeson / Bridget Herron / Chris Llewellyn / Gareth Gilkeson / Patrick Thompson / Will Herron
Joy lyrics © Capitol Christian Music Group

Have you ever felt like there was just no joy in life? Have you ever wondered why if you know the LORD and the Word tells us that the JOY of the LORD is my strength, that you feel joyless and without strength?

It does say that… in Nehemiah 8:10 (that the joy of the LORD is our strength). 10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

The context is the rebuilding of the Wall. Jersaleum had been overtaken and now the wall had been rebuilt. Earlier in Nehemiah 2:5-6 we see that the King had even given permission for this to be done. 5 And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers' graves, that I may rebuild it.” 6 And the king said to me (the queen sitting beside him), “How long will you be gone, and when will you return?” So it pleased the king to send me when I had given him a time.

As I ponder this, I wonder…do we perhaps have “territory” that needs to be retaken? Has the devil stolen from you? Your health? Your family? Your job? if Nehemiah could find favor with the King, perhaps God can move our mountains and restore to each of us that which has been stolen?

But…then we wonder….what is this kind of JOY? In Nehemiah the people were not all that joyful even though the wall had been restored. There were no homes etc yet. What HAD just happened was a time of reading outloud from “The Law”.

Interestingly we, as born again sons and daughters have that law… which opened their hearts and minds to joy…actually enscribed on our hearts. Therefore it goes with us all the time.

You know that joy inspiriting law? I believe that when they heard the Law read outloud their hearts received a tangible touch from God and that is the spring of Living Water for us.
It was prophesied in Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time," declares the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
Isn’t that neat to consider?

I thought tonight, it might be interesting to ponder joy a bit.
The dictionary gives us these synonyms: delight, great pleasure, joyfulness, jubilation, triumph, exultation, rejoicing, happiness, gladness, glee, exhilaration, exuberance, elation, euphoria, bliss, ecstasy, rapture; enjoyment.

Joy seems to have very many different meanings, doesn’t it?
I was taught that God created us for joy. To live in a state of JOY. One of the first tasks of an older infant is to learn how to “return to joy”. And the parent’s job is to help him.

If joy is “knowing someone is glad to be with me no matter how I am feeling (emotionally), then it takes on a very different meaning.

We shall see…

1. Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the man
    who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight (joy) is in the law of the Lord,
    and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
    planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
    and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.

Dodi Note: Ah, more like the Nehemiah joy than the dictionary isnt it? Also kind of more like “someone is glad to be with me” too.
We have JOY as/when we meditate on the Word…and then we are like that tree planted by streams of Living Water.

The next one will blow you away… especially in the context of JOY being, “knowing someone is glad to be with me”.

Psalm 16:11 You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Dodi Note: Do you see it? “in your presence there is fullness of joy”. Now isn’t that neat? Anyone care to describe a time when you were aware of the “presence of God” with you in a tangible way?

1. 1 Chronicles 16:27 Honor and majesty surround him;
    strength and joy fill his dwelling.

Dodi Note: Wait… again I see a connection to what I was taught about joy is knowing someone is glad to be with me…do you see it? Remember a kind of joy is knowing someone welcomes you? That is GOD ultimately and always and this verse tells us that strength and JOY fill his dwelling. Remember when the Hebrew people were in the desert and the literal presence of the LORD led them? Then later how The Presence of God would come and rest in the tabernacle?

1. Psalm 19:8 the precepts of the Lord are right,
    rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
    enlightening the eyes;

Dodi Note: Here again we see joy, actually rejoicing the heart, linked with obeying God.

1. Psalm 119:1-3 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
    who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
    who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
    but walk in his ways!

Let’s read that in the NLT translation as well.

NLT Joyful are people of integrity,
    who follow the instructions of the Lord.
2 Joyful are those who obey his laws
    and search for him with all their hearts.
3 They do not compromise with evil,
    and they walk only in his paths.

Dodi Note: Joful, joy filled?, are people of integrity :) Who follow the instructions of the LORD. Who obey his laws AND search for him with ALL their hearts.

Now I want to show you something from the AMP version. In ESV the word is translated blessed, right? But in NLT it is translated joyful.
When I studied seriously some years ago, I used AMP all the time. I read that bible so much it fell apart. The reason I like it, is that it gives all the shades of meaning to a word. The word “blessed” is very interesting.
We will use Matthew 5 aka The Beatitudes which in a sense is also about joy. I want us to notice the descriptions of “blessed” as well as what leads us into a place of blessing. Which is a JOY filled place.

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and when He was seated, His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He began to teach them, saying,

3 “Blessed [spiritually prosperous, happy, to be admired] are the poor in spirit [those devoid of spiritual arrogance, those who regard themselves as insignificant], for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [both now and forever].

4 “Blessed [forgiven, refreshed by God’s grace] are those who mourn [over their sins and repent], for they will be comforted [when the burden of sin is lifted].

5 “Blessed [inwardly peaceful, spiritually secure, worthy of respect] are the gentle [the kind-hearted, the sweet-spirited, the self-controlled], for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed [joyful, nourished by God’s goodness] are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness [those who actively seek right standing with God], for they will be [completely] satisfied.

7 “Blessed [content, sheltered by God’s promises] are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed [anticipating God’s presence, spiritually mature] are the pure in heart [those with integrity, moral courage, and godly character], for they will see God.

9 “Blessed [spiritually calm with life-joy in God’s favor] are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they will [express His character and] be called the sons of God.

10 “Blessed [comforted by inner peace and God’s love] are those who are persecuted for [c]doing that which is morally right, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [both now and forever].

11 “Blessed [morally courageous and spiritually alive with life-joy in God’s goodness] are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil things against you because of [your association with] Me.

12 Be glad and exceedingly joyful, for your reward in heaven is great [absolutely inexhaustible]; for in this same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Do you see? When do we have joy in life? That joy that passes understanding and goes right along with the Peace that passes understanding?

It is when we are in direct relationship with our Abba Father, isnt it? Living at peace with Him and with his people. I believe it comes when we fully trust him with all that is us. In the good times and the difficult times, the JOY of the LORD is there.
Just as Jesus “endured the cross” for the JOY set before Him. Which was our eventual salvation. So also can we for the joy set before us, that joy that assures us that no matter what God, The Great I AM (all we need) is also Emmanuel, God With Us endure whatever life brings.
This life, our lives and the world are not perfect. We are imperfect. We live in a fallen world. Many may be the sorrows of life, but once we begin to grasp how deep, how wide is the Father’s love for us then truly the “joy of the Lord is our strength”. When that was stated in Nehmiah life was still difficult for them. But they had that “blessed assurance” of God with them.
In fact in closing, let’s listen to that song:
Blessed Assurance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxYMvo8PGOM

Songbird81
CR Member
CR Member

Re: JOY

Post by Songbird81 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks Shalom