God Is Able part 2 from an internet source

Monday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shalom-dodi

God Is Able part 2 from an internet source

Post by shalom-dodi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Last week we talked about how God is ABLE.
Able to do MORE than we could ask or imagine.
God is not a genie in a bottle that we rub and it pops out and does what ever we command. We cant and are not expected to pray “right” in order to make God do what we want.
What I believe we have to learn is to TRUST God even when we do not understand and things are not as we like them.
We are going to look at and discuss an internet source.

From an internet source a bit more on the topic:
If we really want to know the omnipotent God intimately and experientially, we ought to think through some of the things He is able to do. The New Testament word “to be able” means essentially “to have power” (dunamai the verb form of that familiar Greek noun, dunamis).

Dodi Note: Isnt that interesting? When we say/know God is able to do what God has said he will do, we are affirming that God has the POWER to accompolish it.

When we read that God is able to do something it means He has the power to do it. It is a concept related to His omnipotence. The Old Testament word has somewhat the same connotation. While we know God can do anything He wants to do, look at a few of the specific things the Bible says He is able to do.

https://bible.org/seriespage/8-god-able

He Is Able to Save Us Completely. “Hence, also, He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them” (Hebrews 7:25). The writer to the Hebrews is assuring us that God is able to save us perfectly for all time and eternity. Once we have trusted Christ as Saviour from sin and been born again, we never need to fear for our eternal destiny.

Our omnipotent God has the power to keep us. Peter put it in those very words. He said we are “kept by the power of God” (1 Peter 1:5 KJV). And it is a good thing that we are. None of us would feel very secure if our salvation depended on our power.

He Is Able to Keep Us from Sin. “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy” (Jude 24). That great benediction assures us that God has the power to keep us from falling into sin.

We know how He does it: “For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted” (Hebrews 2:18).

Our omnipotent Saviour has conquered temptation Himself, and now He is right there for us to lean on when we are tempted.

When we learn to lay hold of His power we will conquer those stubborn sins that disrupt our lives.
He Is Able to Supply Our Needs. “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed” (2 Corinthians 9:8).

That promise was addressed to faithful and cheerful givers. They can count on God to take care of everything they need, in every circumstance of life, all the time. Only an omnipotent God could make a promise like that.

The author said, “My wife and I have experienced that power. There were days, early in our marriage, when we acted as though God could not really take care of our needs, as though providing for a seminary student with a wife and child were more than He could handle. Sometimes we got anxious and irritable over finances. But we tried to be faithful in sharing our meager resources with Him, and He kept showing us, sometimes in miraculous ways, that He was able to supply our needs.”

Dodi Note: Anyone like to share a time when God supplied your need like that?

I remember Shadowlou after your husband died,God gave you a house, didn’t he?

Just Friday, I went to the beach but it was too cold there because of the wind so I went down the street to the Intracoastal. It was lovely there. I had brought my lunch but the restaurant with tables in the water and yummy seafood was so inviting. I decided I could take my book with me and abandon my lunch at eat there. Alone but hiding in my book was my plan. I sat down and suddenly I looked at the empty table across from me and all the other tables with couples or groups and said to myself, “Abba, you know I think I will eat with you.” That may sound crazy to you. But the second I thought/said that I felt a tangible presence of God. And the rest of the time, I enjoyed myself and did not need a book or feel uncomfortable one bit. That was God’s provision for that time.

He Is Able to Heal Our Diseases. Jesus taught this lesson to two blind men right after He emerged from the house where He had raised Jairus’s daughter from the dead, the supreme demonstration of His power. The two men cried out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!” (Matthew 9:27)

Jesus turned and asked, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” (Matthew 9:28) .

When they answered, “Yes, Lord,” Jesus touched their eyes and made them to see.

He may be asking you the same question: “Do you believe I have the power to heal you?” He does not always heal, because He knows that sickness is sometimes the best way to accomplish His perfect purposes in our lives. But He is able, and He wants us to believe that. Believing it could be the very thing that starts us on the road to recovery.

Dodi Note: Here again is a place where we must choose to trust the GOODNESS of God, even if he doesnt heal us right then.

He Is Able to Deliver Us from Death. Daniel’s three friends taught us this lesson when they were standing beside the door of a blazing fiery furnace heated seven times hotter than normal. They boldly declared to King Nebuchadnezzar, “our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire” (Daniel 3:17). And Dodi note: They went on to say that even if God did not save them, He was STILL their GOD. Well that is my paraphrase, what they actully said in Danie 3:18 was: 18 But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up.”

He does not always deliver us from death. Many have laid down their lives for their faith through the centuries. But He is able to deliver us if He so chooses.

Jesus knew that. The writer to the Hebrews said, “He (Jesus) offered up both prayers and supplications with loud crying and tears to the One able to save Him from death” (Hebrews 5:7).

Dodi Note: If we ever think God does not understand our desperate longing to be healed, to not suffer or whatever we can remember Jesus in the garden. There is NOTHING God would make us go through that He is not only with us but has full understanding. Just like we take our kids to a surgeon if necessary.

As He prayed in the garden to His Father, He said, “All things are possible for Thee; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what Thou wilt” (Mark 14:36).

While all things were possible, He submitted to His Father’s will and trusted Him to do what was best. That is exactly what He wants us to do.

It has been said that we are invincible and immortal until God’s time to take us home. There is no reason for the child of God ever to fear, for God is able to deliver him from any danger.

After Daniel had spent an entire night in a den of lions, King Darius hurried to the den in the morning and called out to him, “Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you constantly serve, been able to deliver you from the lions?” (Daniel 6:20)

That kind of question would be asked only by someone who does not know God. He most certainly was able to deliver him. Hungry lions are no more of a problem to an omnipotent God than fiery furnaces, or terminal illnesses, or scary noises in the dark, or barking dogs, or poisonous snakes, or earthquakes, or floods, or anything else. He has power over creation, power over nature, power over animals, power over the nations, power over rulers, and power over demons. And He is able to deliver us.

There are other references in Scripture to what God is able to do, but none more exciting than the one in Ephesians 3:20: “Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us.” That is real power, the very same power that raised Christ from the dead and is operating in us right now (Ephesians 1:19-21).

The Holy Spirit of God, the Omnipotent One Himself, actually lives in us and makes His power available to us. He is willing to give strength to all (1 Chronicles 29:12).

Whoever you are and whatever your need, God’s strength is available to help you. From the little crisis, like a stubborn jar lid you cannot unscrew when there is no one there to help, to the major crisis like an extended illness of a loved one that has put superhuman demands on you physically, God’s strength is available to help.

Dodi Note: Who besides me can testify to the truth of that statement? God DID carry me through my husband’s death. He IS carrying me in widowhood and when my adopted daughter abandoned everyone we knew and took a child I had loved and nutured for 16 years with her, GOD carried us.
Anyone want to share?

With the promise of that kind of power at our disposal why do we feel so weak, fearful, and powerless so much of the time? Maybe we have not yet learned to appropriate God’s power.