People with Disabilities

jessi2015

People with Disabilities

Post by jessi2015 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm

I have asked the Lord many times what my purpose in life is as it concerns His will. It wasn't until recently that I feel He revealed to me what He'd like me to strive for. I am a retired career counselor; I retired early due to a disability. My primary focus in my career was working with people with disabilities. I often remember thinking that many of those who became disabled later in life seemed to be very angry that they no longer were able to do the things they once did. I tried my best to encourage them, but I didn't truly know the pain they were suffering, that is until I too became disabled later in life. Being stripped of a professional title, being lowered down in the rank of importance by our society's standards, being treated much different than I once was treated because I no longer can afford a new car or superficial stuff like that......Well I do say it required an adjustment in my life to say the least. In fact the Lord used an unfortunate circumstance to completely overhaul my life. Today I can say I am so grateful for exactly the way my life is, and truly mean it.

I joined here 2015. At that time I was still stuck in my anger. A lot of people know I went through a lawsuit, and that one experience helped me to understand I am just as important than any one else, and I too have a right to live on this planet. It feels sometimes that people decide who should stay or go, and if you don't fit what the world thinks is exciting then you find yourself on the outside. Please realize IF you are turning to the world for acceptance, I'm here to tell you it's a dead end road. You will never reach "the top" whatever that is. The world will tell you whatever you have accomplished, it's not good enough. You need more. The Lord will give you the tools to accomplish anything He asks of you. He has promised us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matthew 11:30). He has said His grace is sufficient for us (2 Cor 12:9).

We all have our own struggles in life, but people with disabilities have extra struggles. That's what this corner is here for. If you want to drop in and write something about your experience of living with a disability, and how the Lord has helped you through your struggles, it would be very nice to hear from you. Maybe we could even start a group here for those who just need some extra support. We are not to travel this road alone.

Being in this world is like swimming up stream if one is truly living by Biblical standards. Having a disability on top of that is like swimming up stream with a 40lb weight. Please join me here if this is of any interest to you. Jessi's corner is meant to be a community effort. If you are not comfortable posting publicly, please send me a private e-mail and I will respond to you. I'm here for anyone who would like to talk. Blessings. Jessi 2015

strongTower
CR Member
CR Member

Re: People with Disabilities

Post by strongTower » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Thank you for starting this group Jessi and for sharing your testimony with us the world places labels us us and ranks us i thank Jesus he see us as his treasure masterpiece took me years to see i am valuable in God's eyes being disabled with learning disestablishes i believed i could not do things when i started reading the word of God i found i can do all things through Christ Jesus which strengthens me !
Last edited by strongTower on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:10-11King (KJV)

10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

shalom-dodi

Post by shalom-dodi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 am

Well written Jessi and ST

Eye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Eye » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Yes well done jessi

spongy
CR Member
CR Member

Post by spongy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:45 pm

What hurts me the most are the rubber-necked double-takes. "What?, You don't work ?" I worked until i broke and then some. I can still pray and have decided to let God help me make a difference that way. My disability is a mental illness. Sometime I feel like other people think that if I was better at following God I wouldn't be sick. I can tell them "if it wasn't for following Him I wouldn't seek healing grace. I would simply be dead." Jessi, Thank you for the topic.

shalom-dodi

Post by shalom-dodi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Spongy, prayer is wonderful and much needed.
I can't abide people who try to tell others that if they were "better at following God" or had more "faith" God would heal them.
You can pray for me any time you want and I know you already do.
Blessing... from Shalom

Songbird81
CR Member
CR Member

Post by Songbird81 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you for starting this group. I work now as well as being on disability. It is the only way I can afford to live. Unfortunately it seems we are punished for having a disability sometimes. They only allow $469 for rent. Praise Jesus our Daddy always provides. I am very thankful

LEM
CR Member
CR Member

Post by LEM » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 am

Being disabled is something I do not accept. I accept that there are things I can not do. I accept that there are limitations in what I can achieve. But being disabled it not an acceptable word for me. I live the best I can. I live within the limits I have. I accept that I can do only what I can do and nothing more. Anyone who pushes me to do more, do not know what I live with and have no right to judge me. Yes I have a disability, but only to the extent that I chose how much I let it rule me. I accept that I must sleep when I need it. I accept that for me to push myself beyond the limits, and I can usually feel when I need to pull back - then its others that have the problem. They have no right to push me beyond what I want to go to.

Oh... and by the way, they also usually have a disability. Glasses, hearing aids, lack of understanding, ignorance to listen etc are also disabilities, because they have no empathy for others. I wonder not what God would say to these people, but I will not quote scriptures to back myself up, because it is through scriptures that I have come to this conclusion.

You may wonder what disability I have, its simple but very misunderstood. It is something that people do not understand until they themselves experience it. It is not a physical disability, but it affects me physically. It is not a mental disability, but it affects my ability to be able to think when I am tired. It is an unseen disability, but it definitely is there for me to experience.

To explain it, well its hard. I am limited in what I can do. I can not count on having a full day of working, in fact I know I can not count on that. I know I can expect to get tired, sometimes slowly and sometimes it hits hard and fast. I can get emotional, but I am not emotionally unbalanced.

What can I do and what I do depends on how well I pace myself. It depends on the expectations and requirements from me. I have to plan my energy output. I will push myself when I need to BUT I will get angry if others push me and will not respect me when I manage my health. If I say I am tired, then I am tired. If I am struggling to get the right words out, I will use similar words so that I am not limited by my disability. If I need to be quiet and not good at communicating, then it is because I need company but I am very tired. I get lonely in my disability. I get upset, angry when pushed beyond what I know I can do - but who doesn't?

Simply put, I do not like being treated with disrespect. No one deserves to be treated with disrespect. I was brought up in a well respected family, so I know when I am being treated unfairly. I experience Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is similar to Fybromylia.
".. these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: ... for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:1-2

Songbird81
CR Member
CR Member

Post by Songbird81 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:14 pm

An old blog I wrote a few years ago. Thought it might help someone.

Hope this is ok to post. We all need reminders sometimes..

Our Worth and Identity is found in Christ alone
Many Doctors like to label people with a disability. But what is a disability to the Lord? Jesus does not label us with anything but things that are good and true. Daddy calls us good and never makes junk. We are prized possessions and have the mind of Christ. A disability is nothing but a weakness.

Now keeping this in mind that means everyone has a disability all though some have more then others. Everyone has weaknesses. The word of God says that in our weaknesses we are made strong and that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Our Daddy uses us the most in our weaknesses so we should give thanks to the Lord for them and count them as joy and a blessing to have. I know that this world and some people like to hurt us because some of us are different. However remember this being different is a great thing.

I am in fact so grateful to be different now although I still struggle with this issue. What is normal anyway? There is no such thing as normal. I praise the Lord HE made me who I am today and I am so thankful that HE made you who you are too.

You are beautiful just be yourself be who God created you to be. Your real Daddy created you to be.

Remember don’t worry about what the world thinks or others think of you. It is what Daddy thinks and says about you that is the truth and most important aspect of your life. Go by that. Read the word it is full of what HE says about who you are.

HE says HE creates all things good. This means you are good, HE creates all things beautiful, so you are beautiful. HE loves you. You are loved. HE has given you the mind of Christ. You are Intelligent. HE calls you HIS prized possession, a Jewel. HE Calls you Worthy and Righteous in Christ Jesus. HE says that you are a saint in HIM. You are a child of God. (Have you made the decision yet to accept Salvation and start a relationship with Christ?) If the answer to that question is yes HE says HE is preparing you a place in Heaven a mansion and that you have everlasting life. If you haven’t know that you can do that today. HE LOVES YOU!!! HE says that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. So that means we are strong in HIM and HE says with Christ’s death and resurrection we are forgiven this means we are no longer sinners but saints.

YOU ARE WANTED That’s why you Are here living YOU ARE WANTED By the One who is the most important. YOU ARE WANTED BY Daddy God, Jesus Christ our Beloved and HOLY SPIRIT and they love spending time with you. In Fact they are waiting right beside you for you to spend time with HIM. To begin a relationship and strengthen the relationship all the time. HE wants you so much Jesus died for you. HE wants you so much that HE created you for that specific reason. Just to be with you. But it’s your choice no one can make it for you. We are HIS and we are WANTED!! Yes YOU ARE WANTED!!! Since before even time began you were wanted. Think on that for awhile and take in that kind of love. God our Daddy Gave HIS only son to die as a sacrifice for our sins and to rise again. To pay the price for us so that we could come to HIM and commune with HIM and have a relationship with HIM. So that we Including you can now be called sons and daughters of the most high king. This makes us royalty where it matters most.
We must find our Identity and our worth in Christ it is the only place we will find it because the world cannot give it to us and we will never find it there.

Yes the Word of God which is the truth the pure truth is full of things that the Lord says we are. Lets look at that and quit looking at others. This is where we find our Worth. Not in or of ourselves or others but in and of God. Our daddy is incapable of lying and always tells the truth and will never leave us nor forsake us. However satan our enemy is a huge deceiver all he does is lie. Do not buy into his lies you throw the word at him. Tell that enemy to get lost. You have the power to tell him to get lost too. You send him and his lies back from whence they came. For he doesn’t have a claim to you only Jesus does.

Get to know who our daddy God is and in so doing you will get to know who you are as well. God bless you and if no one’s told you yet let me be the first You are very beautiful and I do love you but guess what? Daddy God/Beloved Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit Comforter three in one Love you even more and say that you are more beautiful then you ever thought possible before. You are a Royal Jewel. God bless you.

Sunsets

Post by Sunsets » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:17 pm

What a wonderful topic and I love all the comments! I was born with disabilities, but that never stopped God from loving me! I overcome by choosing not to let them stop me from being used by God! I love this and I pray it encourages you:

1. Why should I say, "I can't" when the Bible says, "I can do all things through [Christ] who strengthens me"? (Philippians 4:13)

2. Why should my needs not be met knowing that "my God shall supply all [my] needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus"? (Philippians 4:19)

3. Why should I fear when the Bible says that "God has not given [me] a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind"? (2 Timothy 1:7)

4. Why should I doubt or lack faith knowing that "God has given to each a measure of faith"? (Romans 12:3)

5. Why am I weak when the Bible says, "the LORD is the strength of my life" (Psalm 27:1) and "people who know their God will display strength" (Daniel 11:32)?

6. Why should I allow Satan to have supremacy over my life, for "greater is He who is in [me] than he who is in the world"? (1 John 4:4)

7. Why should I accept defeat when the Bible says, "thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ"? (2 Corinthians 2:14)

8. Why should I lack wisdom when Christ "became to us wisdom from God" (1 Corinthians 1:30) and God gives wisdom to all men generously and without reproach who ask Him for it? (James 1:5)

9. Why should I be depressed when I can recall to my mind and therefore have hope that "the LORD'S loving kindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness"? (Lamentations 3:22-23)?

10. Why should I worry and fret when I can cast all my anxiety upon Christ, because He cares for me? (1 Peter 5:7)

11. Why should I ever be in bondage, for "where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" (2 Corinthians 3:17) and "it was for freedom that Christ set [me] free" (Galatians 5:1)?

12. Why should I feel condemned when the Bible says, "There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"? (Romans 8:1)

13. Why should I ever feel alone when Jesus said, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20) and "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5)?

14. Why should I feel accursed or the victim of bad luck when the Bible says that "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for me that I might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith"? (Galatians 3:13-14)

15. Why should I be discontented when I, like Paul, can learn "to be content in whatever circumstances I am"? (Philippians 4:11)

16. Why should I feel worthless when God "made Him who knew no sin to be sin on my behalf, that I might become the righteousness of God in Him"? (2 Corinthians 5:21)

17. Why should I ever have a persecution complex "If God is for me, who can be against me"? (Romans 8:31)

18. Why should I be confused "for God is not the author of confusion, but of peace" (1 Corinthians 14:33) and "now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God"? (1 Corinthians 2:12)

19. Why should I feel like a failure when "in all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us"? (Romans 8:37)

20. Why should I let the world bother me when Jesus said, "In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world"? (John 16:33)

GOD BLESS YOU! :JF
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17