Learn to be content

This forum is for posting some of your favorite daily devotionals.
Joyful

Learn to be content

Post by Joyful » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Learn to be content

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." Philippians 4:11 NIV

Discontentment is a trap that can ensnare you and rob you of joy and fulfillment. That’s why the Bible says you must learn to be content “whatever the circumstances.” The notion that a bigger car or a bigger house or a bigger salary will bring you contentment is a myth. There will always be something “bigger and better” out there. There will always be people who have more than you, so you’ll never be able to get off the treadmill. That’s not to imply you should be satisfied with being enslaved to debt or destructive habits or settle for complacency and mediocrity and not fulfill the call of God on your life. Not at all! You must keep working to improve yourself, while remaining totally dependent on God to bless you, promote you, and meet your needs. Contentment means not coveting another person’s position, possessions, or personality. Your security and self-worth should be based on who you are in Christ, not what you have in material assets. What a great way to live! Paul lived like that. He said, “I’ve learned…to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am” (vv. 11-13 TM). Each day you have a choice to make regarding your attitude. So the word for you today is: learn to be content.

by Bob & Debby Gass

Creationsings7
CR Member
CR Member

Re: Learn to be content

Post by Creationsings7 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:22 am

This was a pleasure to read. Many times I look around and I can see that I am so blessed. I have everything I need at that moment. Many times in my life I have gained "things" thinking this would make me happy. I would wait for that next goodie to arrive in the mail and be so delighted to open a package and add that next thing to my belongings. Problem is it was never enough! I always wanted more..i thought it was making me happy and when i was not getting anything I felt empty.
The truth is that void was never filled even when i got new things..it was a false sence of happiness. The only way to truly fill that void and be content in all things is to fill it with Jesus. We are told to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and then all other things will be added unto us. When we seek Him first we fill the void that nothing else can and in doing so we find true contentment.

hugs, CS