How is God our refuge?

Morning Bible Studies are held every Wednesday morning @ 11:00 am ET. Those studies will be posted her for those that missed the live study.
jessi2015

How is God our refuge?

Post by jessi2015 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm

You Are My Hiding Place - Selah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dR0H0tAYT8

How is God our refuge?
Taken from Compelling Truth

A refuge is a place of safety and shelter wherein we are protected from danger and distress. One illustration of a refuge is that of a shelter in which we take cover during a storm. In Old Testament times, a cleft in the rocks or cave was a good refuge. In modern times, we have sophisticated underground bunkers to protect ourselves. A good refuge provides protection for the vulnerable and peace for the distressed. That is exactly the kind of refuge that God is to those who trust in Him and His Son, Jesus Christ.

God is a refuge to His children in that He protects them. There are approximately 45 references to God as refuge in the book of Psalms alone. Needless to say, the fact that God protects His own is a truth He wants us to know and be comforted by. However, the fact that God is our refuge does not mean that no danger will threaten and no harm will befall a believer. We can appreciate that truth by examining the life of the faithful throughout history (Hebrews 11:36–38), including the apostle Paul himself (2 Corinthians 11:23–27). God tells us through His Word that all who seek to live a godly life in Jesus Christ will be persecuted (2 Timothy 3:12). At the same time, we are comforted by the fact that whatever danger or harm comes upon us is under the sovereign control of God (Job 1:12; Matthew 10:29–31). He will not allow us to be tempted or tested beyond what we can endure through Christ who strengthens us (1 Corinthians 10:13; Philippians 4:13). In fact, God uses the trials and temptations of this life to build our character and bring us to spiritual maturity (James 1:2–4).

God works all things together for the ultimate good of the believer. That ultimate good is our conformity to the image of Christ and eternal life with God (Romans 8:28–30; Revelation 21:3). Even death itself is gain for the believer as it ushers him or her directly and immediately into the presence of Christ (Luke 23:43; Philippians 1:21–23; 2 Corinthians 5:8). Jesus has removed the sting of death through His sacrificial death and victorious resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:55–57). God has promised that we who believe in Jesus will be resurrected and receive a body like Jesus' resurrected body (Philippians 3:20–21). It is the promise of God's protection of our souls and resurrection of our bodies that enables us to trust in Him no matter what dangers threaten. Those who have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior need not fear anything. Although men may kill the believer's body, God will protect our souls (Matthew 10:28) and give us new imperishable bodies (1 Corinthians 15:53–54). Paul famously declares confidence and security in God's insurmountable love in Romans 8:31–39.

One way we see God's protection is in the way He protects us from Satan's schemes. Jesus prayed, "I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one" (John 17:15). Certainly God does allow Satan to attack and we are engaged in spiritual warfare during our time on this earth, but God has equipped us with spiritual armor (Ephesians 6:10–18). He is victorious and He will never abandon us. We can trust in His promises and seek to "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" (James 4:7). We trust that God is in control and, as stated above, will work all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

God is also a refuge in that He protects us from our own sinful natures. By the work of the Holy Spirit, God sanctifies our hearts and makes us more and more like Christ. Jesus instructed His disciples to ask God to "lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil" (Matthew 6:13). Paul said, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). Ephesians 1:13–14 and 2 Corinthians 1:21–22 talk about the Holy Spirit sealing us. We are firmly established in Christ and secure in Him. Our salvation is guaranteed by Him, and He is also faithful to work in our lives to remove the power sin has over us. He sets us free from bondage to sin and binds us to Himself and His righteousness (Romans 6:16–23; Galatians 5:1).

God is a refuge for His children in that He brings them peace (Luke 2:14). Just as Jesus was so at peace during the frightful storm at sea that He could sleep undisturbed, so too can we be at peace amidst the storms of life (Matthew 8:24–26). How? By trusting in God as our refuge and by keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2). Peter was able to walk on water as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus, but the moment he turned to view the wind and waves, Peter began to sink (Matthew 14:29–33). It is by staying our minds on Jesus that God keeps us in perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3). God promises peace that surpasses understanding and peace that guards hearts and minds to all who present their prayers and petitions to Him through Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7).

Perhaps the psalmist said it best when he said, "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold" (Psalm 18:2).

Today, we live in perilous times. In the light of some recent events I thought it would be good to look at God's sovereignty. Is the Lord able to watch over His people? Is He a refuge for His people? Or does He abandon us in difficult situations? Surely not! The Psalmist reflected on this very thing in Psalm 46. His Psalm just oozes with confidence in God. There are three things I would like to look at in this Psalm. They are God's Shelter, God's Salvation and God's Sovereignty.

Psalm 46:1: God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
God is our refuge. The word refuge means a shelter, hope, trust. It speaks of a place of safety. When someone committed manslaughter he could flee to a city of refuge to escape the avenger. Yes, trouble comes into all of our lives, but we can seek refuge in the Lord. He protects us in times of trouble. Proverbs 18:10: The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. This idea is expressed many times in the Bible. David always found refuge in the Lord when his enemies sought his life. Saul pursued David for many years, yet God always protected him. David knew that the Lord was watching over him.

Psalm 18:2-3: The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies. David found the help that he needed from the Lord. Do you run to the Lord when troubles come? You should!

God is our strength. The word strength means power, might, boldness, to be mighty. When trials and trouble come, our strength is drained from us. Yet at these times God is able to strengthen us and help us to stand. We only need to ask Him for strength.

Isaiah 40:28-31: Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

It doesn't matter how strong or weak we are, we all need God's strength. Only He can sustain us in the trials of life! Psalm 73:25-26: Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. One time, David returned to Ziglag with his men and found it burned down and their families carried away as captives. What did he do? His men blamed him for it all. 1 Samuel 30:6 tells us: Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. When trials come do we strengthen ourselves in the Lord? Or do we try and make it on our own? God is always ready to strengthen us.

Another provision that God gives to His people is help. The word help means to succor or assist. God provides refuge and strength to His people. But He also helps us in our trials. What's more He doesn't do this from a distance. He is right there with us to help us in our trials. Hebrews 13:5-6: For He Himself has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you. So we may boldly say: The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me? God doesn't expect us to make it on our own. In fact, He knows that we can't. It's only our pride and fear that keep us from seeking His help.

Will you determine to seek God's help each day? Will you allow God to take control of the trials in your life? God is always waiting to answer your prayers. Psalm 34:17-19: The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.

Psalm 46:2-3: Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah
In light of God's provision how should we respond to uncertainty, trials and conflict?

We should respond in faith, not in fear. If God is our refuge, strength and help shouldn't we trust Him to take care of us? Therefore, we must respond in faith when turmoil comes into our lives. This is exactly what Job did when wave after wave of calamity broke upon him. He trusted in God's goodness. He knew that the Lord would not let him down. The Psalmist said that even if the world was turned upside down he knew that God would take care of him. As we go about our day may we be aware of God as our refuge and be confident that He also is taking care of us! Amen