The Hospitable Heart by Greg Laurie

Friday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
joannbkkpr

The Hospitable Heart by Greg Laurie

Post by joannbkkpr » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:11 am

DEVOTION
The Hospitable Heart
by Greg Laurie on Jan 24, 2020

But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
—Romans

https://harvest.org/resources/devotion/ ... ble-heart/

In our home, my wife, Cathe, is in charge of all the decor. I’ll give my input, but she makes all decisions regarding the colors of the walls, the furniture, the pictures, and so forth.

Now, I have my little department, which is anything mechanical. For instance, if we’re buying a toaster, I’m going to thoroughly research toasters. I get into those kinds of things.

But Cathe makes the decisions about the things inside the house. I’ll tell her what I think, and she decides. I just let her have her way. As a result, we have peace in the home. And by the way, we have been married for 45 years.

In the same way, we want to let the Holy Spirit have his way in our hearts. We want Him to dwell in our hearts. We want Him to be at home there and ruling there. Yet the Bible tells us there are certain sins we can commit that offend the Holy Spirit. We can grieve the Spirit. We can make the Holy Spirit sad.

The Bible says the Holy Spirit is at home in the hearts of Spirit-led believers. Romans 8:9 tells us, “But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.” (NKJV).

When you become a Christian, the Holy Spirit comes and lives inside you. The Bible says the Spirit convicts us, and ultimately when we believe, the Spirit seals us. Then the Bible tells us that we can be filled with the Spirit and empowered by the Spirit. All this happens to the followers of Jesus.

There’s a difference, however, between the Holy Spirit being in you and being at home in you. Is the Holy Spirit at home in your heart? Is He comfortable there? And is He ruling there?