Self Harming and Anger

Thursday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
shadowlou
CR Member
CR Member

Self Harming and Anger

Post by shadowlou » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:08 am

Self Harming and Anger

I picked this subject to deal with as I feel that it is a very important subject. There are many among us that self-harm that we may not be aware of. People are often ashamed of their behavior and do not open up and admit it. It takes someone who really wants to get help to admit they have a problem with self-injury especially when they are angry. Self-injury in the form of cutting has become an increasingly popular practice among young people. We have to remember that our bodies are not ours to harm; they are temples of the Lord.

In my opinion, self-harming is not just the physical act of hurting oneself, but it can also be in the form of drinking, drugs, and smoking. The damage we do to our temples can be the result of these things. But we will stick on the subject of physically hurting oneself for the time being as that is what self-harm is defined as. But please remember that drinking, drugs and smoking is hurting the temple that the Lord has loaned to you. Any questions or comments?

Most important THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT ANGER. Anger often leads to acts of self-harming for many individuals. It is important that we come to recognize the bottons that are pushed to make us angry. Keep that in mind as we discuss self=harming and anger. I am not a counselor or pretending to fix anyone but am trying to get all of us to recognize that we have an anger problem and for some, this anger leads to hurting oneself. Okay onaward.

“Contrary to popular myth, people who harm themselves are not trying to commit suicide. They use self-harm as a way of coping with difficult emotions. Instead of expressing their feelings openly, they take them out on their bodies by cutting or burning themselves, picking their skin, taking an overdose, bruising themselves or pulling their hair out. Ouch! Nonsuicidal self-injury, often simply called self-injury, is the act of deliberately harming the surface of your own body, such as cutting or burning yourself. It's typically not meant as a suicide attempt. Rather, this type of self-injury is an unhealthy way to cope with emotional pain, intense anger and frustration.

…Triggers for self-harm can include bullying, bereavement, pressure at work, abuse, financial problems, pressure to fit in and relationship problems. When these pressures pile up, people can find it difficult to cope. Some say that they feel things are out of control.

One sufferer said: ‘I think control's a big thing. You can't control what's happening around you, but you can control what you do to yourself.’

Wow, for any of you that have taken the lessons, do you remember what was said about control?

We are not in control of everything. But God is!!! Giving your emotions over to the Lord, especially anger, is the best way to conteract against self=harming.

Self-harm is often linked to feelings of self-hatred and depression and appears more common in women than men. Experts suggest this may be because men find it easier to express emotions like anger in an outward way or take it out on others. Some people find it difficult to give up the behavior despite realizing that it could be life-threatening and is not rational” (BBC News - medical report).

any questions or comments?

Anger, Anxiety and Unsafe Thoughts that Lead to Self-Harm
Posted on May 17, 2014 by Jennifer Aline Graham

*******For those who struggle with self-harm, emotions are often intense. When you’re in a positive, safe place, you tend to feel as if you will always have the strength to push past those daily stressors. When worried or anxious, your body goes into hyperactive mode, thinking that a small cut or burn may turn off the paranoia. For those who self-harm, anger can be one of the most frightening feelings of all because when you feel this emotion, it is hard to stop yourself from harming your body.

It can be difficult controlling unsteady emotions, especially for those with mental illness. Emotions play a huge role in overcoming the need to self-harm. Once you find ways to effectively control your emotions, you may find it easier to control the urges to cut or burn or pick.

Anger and Self-Harm

I’ve never really been an angry person. I have found ways to turn my anger into a different emotion after years of working at it. However, we all have moments of anger simply because we are human. During my years of cutting, I felt angry on almost a daily basis. I would become angry with myself for saying something I shouldn’t have or for looking a certain way. I’d get mad if my best friend was talking to another friend more than me and I would take it out on myself. This would often lead to anxiety over urges to cut my skin.

When anger and anxiety take over, it can be hard to avoid self-harm. it is important to understand your body and direct unsafe thoughts in a positive direction.

Anxiety and anger have always seemed to work hand-in-hand in some cases. When we are paranoid about something and if that something doesn’t turn out the way we hoped, anger typically follows if we do not use our positive coping skills.

These situations could lead to unsafe thoughts and unsafe thoughts could lead to grabbing any sharp object in sight.

Do Not Let Negative Emotions Turn Into Negative Behaviors like Self-Harm

Recently, a four-year-old I know hit his mother in the face. When his mother told me this, she told me how difficult it had been for her to hold back her anger. For anyone who has experienced this, you would agree that it isn’t easy. After he took some time alone, he was talked to and told to use his words when he is angry and to squeeze his teddy bear instead. Later on, when someone in the room started getting frustrated, he told them to squeeze his bear.

At a young age, we are able to connect with our negative emotions and find helpful solutions. However, as we grow older, we realize it isn’t always easy to replace negative behaviors with positive ones. We can verbally tell ourselves what to do instead of self-harming – listen to music, take a walk, punch a punching bag. However, when anger is at it’s highest peak and your mind is stirring with thoughts of self-harm, those coping skills often disappear.

It’s important to become in touch with the emotions that typically take over your body in unsafe ways. By knowing how your body reacts to certain situations, you can work on finding ways to help yourself instead of hurting yourself. Once you find ways that work, baby steps will lead you to a positive place.
d image.

Any questions or comments?

Biblical Answers

“Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed” (John 8:36).

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

“I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isaiah 43:25).

Are you harming yourself by cutting, burning or in some other way? This is an outward expression of all the pain you are carrying inside. God understands why you do it. He sees the turmoil and shame inside of you. He wants to help, if you will let Him. Some are harming themselves because they think that they're hopelessly bad, and they are filled with guilt, or they feel they're losing control.

“Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God” (Isaiah 50:10).

“I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. …it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. …What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:18-24).

If you are reaching for hope and help, we urge you to contact a licensed Christian counselor in your area for personal assistance in overcoming this problem. If you don't know where to find one, contact a pastor who can help you locate an expert. All the anxiety and problems that you are facing can be overcome. Yes, please remember that.....they can be overcome with the hand of our Lord. Amen

I think a wonderful idea would be to write down whenever you are angry, why you were angry, and how you reacted. Also after you reacted how did you feel? Once you start doing this you may see a pattern. A pattern as to what pushes your buttons and your reactions. You then can work on your reactions and try to stay away from what triggers them. For instance you loose your temper when you are driving a certain route. Perhaps changing the route will save you from getting angry. It may take longer for you to get some place, however, the stress that you avoided is worth the extra time. Start a journal today and you may surprise that you are letting yourself get worked up over the littest things. Also note the time and day as certain days it may be harder for us and certain times as well.

Again, REMEMBER WHO IS IN CONTROL..................THE LORD IS!!!! AMEN TO THAT!!!
Jesus is the only way to God. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me” (John 14:6).

Scars show us where we have been, does not have to dictate where we are going!