“Beginning With Moses, Part 16”

Wednesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
Romans

“Beginning With Moses, Part 16”

Post by Romans » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:01 pm

“Beginning With Moses, Part 16” by Romans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnDKD1NMH4

We have been reviewing and examining those things in the Old Testament that Jesus could have included in His conversation with the two disciples on the Road to Emmaus. We read, “And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself” (Luke 24:27).

One prophecy that Jesus would have almost assuredly included, especially in regard to the alarming reports of His resurrection would have been, “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption” (Psalm 16:10). Peter actually includes it in his very first sermon on Pentecost.

Peter said of David, “Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption” (Acts 2:30-31).

But tonight, in Part One of a two-part Installment, we will be focusing on an amazing type of Christ in the person of the Patriarch Joseph. I learned of this type in the life of Joseph from the insights of several authors who in include Robert Boyd, author of The World's Bible Handbook, and Ada Habershon, author of "The Study of the Types."

Together they compiled some 25 or so types of Christ that Joseph represented which, through personal study, I increased to 43 types of Christ. It is truly amazing. The details of the life of Joseph are likely familiar to all of us, but when we take each one and hold them up to the light, an amazing prophetic forecast begins to appear, and we can't unsee his life as that forecast. So, let's begin looking at those types and then Jesus' fulfillment of them, each with chapter and verse support.

1.) Joseph was loved by his father: Genesis 37:3: “Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours.”

And then we read in Matthew 3:16-17: “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

Also of Jesus, John 3:35: “The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.”
John 10:15 and 17: “As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep... 17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.”

2.) Joseph was a shepherd: Genesis 37:2: “These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren...” So, by definition and job description, Joseph was a shepherd.

Jesus, Himself, spoke of that type being fulfilled. We read in John 10:11-14: “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.”

3.) Joseph was sent by his father to his brothers: Genesis 37:13-14: “And Israel said unto Joseph, Do not thy brethren feed the flock in Shechem? come, and I will send thee unto them. And he said to him, Here am I. 14 And he said to him, Go, I pray thee, see whether it be well with thy brethren, and well with the flocks; and bring me word again. So he sent him out of the vale of Hebron, and he came to Shechem.”

Jesus, again in His own words, said in Matthew 15:24: “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” And the Apostle Paul adds to this in Galatians 4:4-5: “ But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.”

And the Apostle John adds in 1 John 4:9: “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.”

4.) Joseph was hated and envied: Genesis 37:4-5: “And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him. 5 And Joseph dreamed a dream, and he told it his brethren: and they hated him yet the more.”

During His ministry, Jesus also was accosted with much less-than-peaceable words spoken against Him. We read, for example, this exchange: “Which of you convinceth (or, convicteth) me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God heareth God's words...

Jesus continued, “... ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me” John 8:46-49).

John 15:25: “But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.”

Even Pilate, the Governor / Judge at Jesus' trial recognized the animosity and hatred of the mob that delivered Him. We read in Matthew 27:17-18: “Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you?
Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ? 18 For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.”

5.) Joseph's kingly references about himself are rejected and resented. We read in Genesis 37:5-8: “And Joseph dreamed a dream, and he told it his brethren: and they hated him yet the more. 6 And he said unto them, Hear, I pray you, this dream which I have dreamed:
7 For, behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and, lo, my sheaf arose, and also stood upright; and, behold, your sheaves stood round about, and made obeisance to my sheaf. 8 And his brethren said to him, Shalt thou indeed reign over us? or shalt thou indeed have dominion over us? And they hated him yet the more for his dreams, and for his words.”

Jesus also conveyed His own personal kingly forecasts in parables in which they were also rejected as part of he parables. We read Jesus' words in Luke 19:12-14: “He {Jesus} said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.” As with Joseph, Jesus knew of hatred and resentment regarding His future reign.

6.) Joseph's brothers plotted against his life: Genesis 37:18: “And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near unto them, they conspired against him to slay him.”

We read in several places in the New Testament of the plot that was hatched to kill Jesus. First, we read in Matthew 26:3-4: “Then assembled together the chief priests, and the scribes, and the elders of the people, unto the palace of the high priest, who was called Caiaphas, 4 And consulted that they might take Jesus by subtilty, and kill him.”

Next, we read in John 11:47-53: {After learning of the resurrection of Lazarus, we read}: “Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. 48 If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation. 49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, 50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not. 51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; 52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad. 53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.”

7.) Joseph was stripped of his coat: Genesis 37:23: “And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his brethren, that they stript Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many colours that was on him.”

We read of Jesus' experiencing the same thing in John 19:23: “Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.”

8.) Joseph's coat was dipped in blood by his brothers to make their father think that Joseph was attacked by a wild animal: We read in Genesis 37:31: “And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood.” When he saw the bloodied coat, Jacob said, “ It is my son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured him; Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces” (Genesis 37:33).

This type was particularly powerful to me. It is only referred to once, but once is enough. We read in Revelation 19:13: “And he {Jesus} was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.”

9.) Joseph was put into a pit {or, in the heart of the earth}, from which he was not expected to emerge alive: We read in Genesis 37:24: “And they took him, and cast him into a pit: and the pit was empty, there was no water in it.”

In fulfillment of that type, we read Jesus' own words in Matthew 12:40: “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

10.) Judah, 1 of the 12 brothers, sells Joseph: Genesis 37:25-27: “And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a company of Ishmeelites came from Gilead with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it down to Egypt. 26 And Judah said unto his brethren, What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood? 27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content.”

We read of that type's fulfillment in Matthew 26:14-15a “Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, 15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you?” Judas was the Greek translation of the Hebrew name Judah.

11.) Joseph was sold for the going slave price: Genesis 37:28: “Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.”
Matthew 26:15b-16: “And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. 16 And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.”

12.) Joseph was taken to Egypt: Genesis 37:28b: “... they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt.”

In the New Testament, Jesus also found Himself being taken from the area His earthly family lived, and taken to Egypt. We read in Matthew 2:13-15: “And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. 14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: 15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.”

13.) Joseph was repeatedly tempted over the course of time: Genesis 39:7: “And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me... 10 “ And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her.”

We read of the repeated temptations of Jesus over the course of time in the Gospel Accounts: “And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered. And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread... (Luke 4:1-3).

The temptation continued: “And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine” (Luke 4:5-7).

The temptation continued, “And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone” (Luke 4:9-11).

The Pharisees picked up where Satan left off. We read in Matthew 22:15-18: “Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk. And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men. Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?”

Joseph deferred to obeying God when he was tempted. We read in Genesis 39:8-9: “But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; 9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?”

Similarly, Jesus responded to each of His temptations by deferring to obedience to God in Luke 4:4, 8, and 12: To making stones bread, Jesus said, “It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” To worshiping Satan, Jesus said, “Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve,”

To leaping off the pinnacle of the Temple because the angels were supposed to bear Him up, Jesus responded, “It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.”

14.) Joseph resisted and overcame the temptations: Genesis 39:10: “And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her.”

In response to whether taxes should be paid to Caesar, we read, “But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?” ( Matthew 22:18).

And the author of the book of Hebrews wrote of Jesus, “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).

15.) Joseph's overcoming was followed by false accusations: Genesis 39:15-19: “And it came to pass, when he heard that I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment with me, and fled, and got him out. 16 And she laid up his garment by her, until his lord came home. 17 And she spake unto him according to these words, saying, The Hebrew servant, which thou hast brought unto us, came in unto me to mock me: 18  And it came to pass, as I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment with me, and fled out. 19 And it came to pass, when his master heard the words of his wife, which she spake unto him, saying, After this manner did thy servant to me; that his wrath was kindled.”

Of the false accusations Jesus endured, we read in Matthew 26:59-61: “Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death; 60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, 61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.”

16.) Joseph was bound by his captors: Genesis 39:20a: “And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound:”

Jesus was subject to the same treatment when He was arrested in the Garden of Gethsemane. We read in Matthew 27:2: “And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.”

17.) Joseph is shown offering no defense for himself after he was imprisoned: We simply read in Genesis 39:20b: “... and he was there in the prison.”

In fulfillment of both the type and the Messianic prophecy, we read of Jesus in Isaiah 53:7: “He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.”

Also, in the Gospels, we read of Jesus silence first in Matthew 26:62-63: “And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee? 63 But Jesus held his peace.”

And then again in Matthew 27:13-14: “Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee? 14  And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.”

18.) Joseph's captor shewed him favor: Genesis 39:21-23: “But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. 22 And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it. 23 The keeper of the prison looked not to any thing that was under his hand; because the LORD was with him, and that which he did, the LORD made it to prosper.”

Although it is often missed or overlooked, Pilate showed Jesus favor. In Luke 23:13-15, Pilate said to the chief priests, Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him.”

Peter recognized the favor Pilate showed Jesus, saying in one of his first sermons, “The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go” (Acts 3:13).

19.) Two other prisoners were with Joseph: Genesis 40:2-3: “And Pharaoh was wroth against two of his officers, against the chief of the butlers, and against the chief of the bakers. 3 And he put them in ward in the house of the captain of the guard, into the prison, the place where Joseph was bound.”

Luke 23:32-33: “And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. 33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.”

20.) Joseph had good news for only one of the two prisoners Genesis 40:12-13: To one Joseph said, 13 Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thine head, and restore thee unto thy place.” To the other he said, “Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thy head from off thee, and shall hang thee on a tree; and the birds shall eat thy flesh from off thee” (Genesis 40:19).

Similarly, Jesus had good news for only one of the two prisoners who were with Him: We read in of the entire discussion in Luke 23:39-43. “And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. 40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.”

21.) Only Joseph could interpret Pharaoh's dream: Genesis 41:15-16: “And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I have dreamed a dream, and there is none that can interpret it: and I have heard say of thee, that thou canst understand a dream to interpret it. 16 And Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, It is not in me: God shall give Pharaoh an answer of peace.”

We read in fulfillment of that type, that Jesus also had an exclusive ability to open and interpret a sealed book. John writes in Revelation 5:1-5: “And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? 3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. 4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. 5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.”

22.) After suffering, Joseph came to power: Genesis 41:38-39: “And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is? 39 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:”

We read of Jesus' fulfillment of this type where Jesus said to the two disciples on the Road to Emmaus in Luke 24:25-26: “O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: 26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?”

23.) Joseph was given a position of power: Genesis 41:41-42: “And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt. 42 And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph's hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck;”

Jesus said, Himself, of the power He was given, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth” (Matthew 28:18).
And the Apostle Paul corroborated Jesus' having been given power in Philippians 2:9: “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:”

These are about half of the 43 types of which the life of the Patriarch Joseph represented. I hope you'll agree that they are quite unexpected and amazing to all of us familiar with the details of his life. Next week, God Willing, at this same time and place, we will review the second half of the types of Joseph, and conclude this Series, “Beginning With Moses.” I hope all of you hearing or reading my words will join me in this final review of these amazing prophecies and types of Christ.

This concludes this evening's Discussion, “Beginning with Moses, Part 16.”

This Discussion was presented “live” on November 8th, 2023

I have designed a website to serve as an Online Book Store for the things I have written and published on Amazon. These are in the form of both Kindle eBooks, and paperback books. Some of you may recall a Series I presented on "The Lord's Prayer" several years ago. My original notes for this and other Bible Studies have been greatly revised and expanded for these publications. For further details on the books that are available, and for ordering information, click the following:

https://arvkbook.wixsite.com/romansbooks

If you purchase and read any of my books, Thank you! I would also greatly appreciate a review on Amazon!