"Spiritual Growth, Part 6"

Wednesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
Romans

"Spiritual Growth, Part 6"

Post by Romans » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:44 am

Spiritual Growth, Part 6 by Romans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy21vd6jSps

This is the Sixth Installment of our Series on Spiritual Growth. As with the previous installments of this series, I will be basing tonight's Discussion on the Notes found in the back of Max Lucado's Devotional Bible, subtitled, Experiencing the Heart of Jesus. I neither desire nor do I deserve credit for their work. Rather, I give full credit to that publication for the main trunk of thought that went into what we will cover tonight. However, as I have been doing, I will also be adding some Spiritual branches and leaves of my own to what they have provided in their Notes. Having said all of that... let's begin.

As I have said many times before, here and elsewhere, becoming a Christian is not like joining a social club. We don't select a deity to worship; Jesus said in John 15:16, "You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last..." You didn't join a Church.

Scripture refers to the growth of individual Congregations not in terms of people joining that Congregation, but rather, as we read in Acts 2:47,"The Lord added to the Church daily such as should be saved." So, as I said in the opening, our initial involvement with a Church is as a result of Jesus choosing us, and then God adding us to the Body of believers.

But we are not to remain in the same spiritual condition as when we were added. As we read in 1 Peter 3:17-18, "Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever."

There is to be spiritual growth. We hear the Word, we believe, agree with and apply the Word sometimes even before we understand the what or why. If we obey, based not on understanding but Faith and a desire to bear fruit and bring Glory to God, we demonstrate to God our willingness to trust Him that what He says is correct and right and good.

Understanding will come as we read in Psalm 111:10: "A good understanding have all they that do His Commandments."
If we are going to grow spiritually, we must also grow in the Grace and Knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. God both expects and requires Spiritual Growth of us.

Lest this presentation be misconstrued as plagiarism, I wish to give that publication full credit for the trunk of this topic on which I build this Study. Most of the Scriptures I use are from that book, although I did add some Scriptural branches from the Word of God to the trunk of the original Study Notes. I will also be supplementing the cited Scriptures with footnotes from the a Commentary I have not cited for a while, namely, the Life Application Bible.

Spiritual Growth includes Recognizing the Authority of God in our lives:

Colossians 3:23-24: "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ."

The Life Application tells us, "Since the Creation, God has given us work to do. If we could regard our work as an act of worship or service to God, such an attitude would take some of the drudgery and boredom out of it. We could work without complaining or resentment if we would treat our job problems as the cost of discipleship."

Psalm 16:8: "I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.”

Albert Barnes says of this: “I have set the Lord always before me - By night as well as by day; in my private meditations as well as in my public professions. I have regarded myself always as in the presence of God; I have endeavored always to feel that, his eye was upon me. This, too, is one of the certain characteristics of piety, that we always feel that we are in the presence of God, and that we always act as if his eye were upon us.

Because he is at my right hand - The right hand was regarded as the post of honor and dignity, but it is also mentioned as a position of defense or protection. To have one at our right hand is to have one near us who can defend us. Thus, in Psalm 109:31, “He shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him,” etc.

So: Psalm 110:5, “The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.” Psalm 121:5, “the Lord is thy Keeper; the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.” The idea is, that as we use the right hand in our “own” defense, we seem to have an additional and a needed helper when one is at our right hand.

The sense here is, that the psalmist felt that God, as his Protector, was always near him; always ready to interpose for his defense. We have a somewhat similar expression when we say of anyone that he is “at hand;” that is, he is near us.

I shall not be moved - I shall be safe; I shall not be disturbed by fear; I shall be protected from my enemies. (See Psalm 10:6; Psalm 15:5 and Psalm 46:5). The language here is that of one who has confidence in God in time of great calamities, and who feels that he is safe under the divine favor and protection.”

Adding to recognizing God's Authority, we read, "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matthew 28:18-20).

The Sermon Bible comments on Jesus' assurance to be with His Church “even unto the end of the world:” The assurance was not given—it could not have been given with effect—until the Divine Speaker had certified His followers by many infallible proofs that it should be even as He said.

Had the Ascension followed immediately upon the Resurrection—had there been no manifestation of the risen life of Christ to the Church, no drying of the Magdalen’s tear, no satisfaction of the doubts of Thomas, no breaking bread with the friends at Emmaus, no meeting with the fishers by the shore of Tiberias—the promise would have failed of half its potency;
the "Lo, I am with you," in that case, must have been, "Believe me, I shall be with you;" and though faith might have accepted the dogma of the Resurrection, love could hardly have appropriated the risen Christ.

The image of Christ is felt to be no longer a thing external to us. Risen and ascended, He dwells in us, and we in Him. If the Church be indeed the body of her Lord, it must be that the principles of His life will be found to lie at the root of her own, and to contain within them, likewise, the promise and potency of the life to come.”

Moving on to our next heading, Spiritual Growth includes Boldness: Isaiah 41:10: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Albert Barnes says of this, “Fear thou not - This verse is plain in its meaning, and is full of consolation. It is to be regarded as addressed primarily to the exiled Jews during their long and painful captivity in Babylon; and the idea is, that they who had been selected by God to be his special people had nothing to fear. But the promise is one that may be regarded as addressed to all his people in similar circumstances, and it is as true now as it was then, that those whom God has chosen have nothing to fear.

For I am with thee - This is a reason why they should not be afraid. God was their protector, and of whom should they be afraid. ‘If God be for us, who can be against us?’ What higher consolation can man desire than the assurance that he is with him to protect him?

Be not dismayed - The word rendered here ‘dismayed’ (תשׁתע tı̂shetta‛) is derived from שׁעה shâ‛âh, “to see, to look”; and then to look about as one does in a state of alarm, or danger. The sense here is, that they should be calm, and under no apprehension from their foes.

For I am thy God - I am able to preserve and strengthen thee. The God of heaven was their God; and as he had all power, and that power was pledged for their protection, they had nothing to fear.

I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness - I will enable you to bear all your trials. With my faithful right hand. The phrase is a Hebrew mode of expression, meaning that God’s hand was faithful, that it might be relied on, and would secure them.”

Next where boldness is concerned, let us consider Hebrews 13:6: " Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."

Of this Matthew Henry says, “What reason Christians have to be contented with their lot. (1.) God hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. This was said to Joshua (Joshua 1:5), but belongs to all the faithful servants of God. Old Testament promises may be applied to New Testament saints.

This promise contains the sum and substance of all the promises. I will never, no, never leave thee, nor ever forsake thee. Here are no fewer than five negatives heaped together, to confirm the promise; the true believer shall have the gracious presence of God with him in life, at death, and for ever.

(2.) From this comprehensive promise they may assure themselves of help from God: So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper; I will not fear what man shall do unto me, Hebrews 13:6. Men can do nothing against God, and God can make all that men do against his people to turn to their good.”

Next, let's review Romans 8:31-35: "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth?

It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?”

The Life Application tells us, "Do you ever think that because you aren’t good enough for God, he will not save you? Do you ever feel as if salvation is for everyone else but you? Then these verses are especially for you. If God gave his Son for you, he isn’t going to hold back the gift of salvation!

If Christ gave his life for you, he isn’t going to turn around and condemn you! He will not withhold anything you need to live for him. The book of Romans is more than a theological explanation of God’s redeeming grace—it is a letter of comfort and confidence addressed to you.

Paul says that Jesus is pleading for us in heaven. God has acquitted us and has removed our sin and guilt, so it is Satan, not God, who accuses us. When he does, Jesus, our advocate, sits at God’s right hand to present our case. These words were written to a church that would soon undergo terrible persecution. In just a few years, Paul’s hypothetical situations would turn into painful realities.

This passage reaffirms God’s profound love for his people. No matter what happens to us, no matter where we are, we can never be separated from his love. Suffering should not drive us away from God but help us to identify with him and allow his love to heal us."

Spiritual Growth includes Contentment: 1 Timothy 6:6-7: "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out."

Philippians 4:11-13: "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

The Theme of Contentment is expressed in Psalm 23:1-2: "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

Matthew Henry adds these beautiful words to this very familiar Psalm: "In these words, the believer is taught to express his satisfaction in the care of the great Pastor of the universe, the Redeemer and Preserver of men. With joy he reflects that he has a shepherd, and that shepherd is Jehovah.

A flock of sheep, gentle and harmless, feeding in verdant pastures, under the care of a skilful, watchful, and tender shepherd, forms an emblem of believers brought back to the Shepherd of their souls. The greatest abundance is but a dry pasture to a wicked man, who relishes in it only what pleases the senses;

but to a godly man, who by faith tastes the goodness of God in all his enjoyments, though he has but little of the world, it is a green pasture. The Lord gives quiet and contentment in the mind, whatever the lot is."

In 1 Timothy 6:8-10, Paul writes of this same Contentment in slightly different words: "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Of this, Matthew Henry offers a somewhat lengthy but edifying insights: “From the mention of the abuse which some put upon religion, making it to serve their secular advantages, the apostle, I. Takes occasion to show the excellency of contentment and the evil of covetousness.

1. The excellency of contentment: Some account Christianity an advantageous profession for this world. In the sense they mean this is false; yet it is undoubtedly true that, though Christianity is the worst trade, it is the best calling in the world.

Those that make a trade of it, merely to serve their turn for this world, will be disappointed, and find it a sorry trade; but those that mind it as their calling, and make a business of it, will find it a gainful calling, for it has the promise of the life that now is, as well as of that which is to come.

(1.) The truth he lays down is that godliness with contentment is great gain. Some read it, godliness with a competency; that is, if a man have but a little in this world, yet, if he have but enough to carry him through it, he needs desire no more, his godliness with that will be his great gain.

For a little which a righteous man has is better than the riches of many wicked, Psalms 37:16. We read it, godliness with contentment; godliness is itself great gain, it is profitable to all things; and, wherever there is true godliness, there will be contentment; but those have arrived at the highest pitch of contentment with their godliness are certainly the easiest happiest people in this world.

Godliness with contentment, that is, Christian contentment (content must come from principles of godliness) is great gain; it is all the wealth in the world. He that is godly is sure to be happy in another world; and if withal he do by contentment accommodate himself to his condition in this world he has enough.

Here we have, [1.] A Christian's gain; it is godliness with contentment, this is the true way to gain, yea, it is gain itself. [2.] A Christian's gain is great: it is not like the little gain of worldlings, who are so fond of a little worldly advantage. [3.] Godliness is ever accompanied with contentment in a great or less degree;

all truly godly people have learned with Paul, in whatever state they are, to be therewith content, (see Phillipians 4:11). They are content with what God allots for them, well knowing that this is best for them. Let us all then endeavour after godliness with contentment.

(2.) The reason he gives for it is, For we brought nothing with us into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out, ( in 1 Timothy 6:7). This is a reason why we should be content with a little. [1.] Because we can challenge nothing as a debt that is due to us, for we came naked into the world. Whatever we have had since, we are obliged to the providence of God for it; but he that gave may take what and when he pleases.

We had our beings, our bodies, our lives (which are more than meat, and which are more than raiment), when we came into the world, though we came naked, and brought nothing with us; may we not then be content while our beings and lives are continued to us, though we have not every thing we would have?

We brought nothing with us into this world, and yet God provided for us, care was taken of us, we have been fed all our lives long unto this day; and therefore, when we are reduced to the greatest straits, we cannot be poorer than when we came into this world, and yet then we were provided for; therefore let us trust in God for the remaining part of our pilgrimage. [2.] We shall carry nothing with us out of this world.

A shroud, a coffin, and a grave, are all that the richest man in the world can have from his thousands. Therefore why should we covet much? Why should we not be content with a little, because, how much soever we have, we must leave it behind us? (See Ecclesiastes 5:15-16).

(3.) Hence he infers, having food and raiment, let us be therewith content, 1 Timothy 6:8. Food and a covering, including habitation as well as raiment. Observe, If God give us the necessary supports of life, we ought to be content therewith, though we have not the ornaments and delights of it. If nature should be content with a little, grace should be content with less; though we have not dainty food, though we have not costly raiment, if we have but food and raiment convenient for us we ought to be content.

This was Agur's prayer: Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me in Proverbs 30:8. Here we see, [1.] The folly of placing our happiness in these things, when we did not bring any thing into this world with us, and we can carry nothing out. What will worldlings do when death shall strip them of their happiness and portion, and they must take an everlasting farewell of all these things, on which they have so much doted?

They may say with poor Micah, You have taken away my gods; and what have I more? Judges 18:24. [2.] The necessaries of life are the hounds of a true Christian's desire, and with these he will endeavour to be content; his desires are not insatiable; no, a little, a few comforts of this life, will serve him, and these may hope to enjoy: Having food and raiment.

2. The evil of covetousness. Those that will be rich (that set their hearts upon the wealth of this world, and are resolved right or wrong, they will have it), fall into temptation and a snare, 1 Timothy 6:9. It is not said, those that are rich, but those that will be rich, that is, that place their happiness in worldly wealth, that covet it inordinately, and are eager and violent in the pursuit of it.

Those that are such fall into temptation and a snare, unavoidably; for, when the devil sees which way their lusts carry them, he will soon bait his hook accordingly. He knew how fond Achan would be of a wedge of gold, and therefore laid that before him. They fall into many foolish and hurtful lusts. Observe,

(1.) The apostle supposes that, [1.] Some will be rich; that is, they are resolved upon it, nothing short of a great abundance will satisfy. [2.] Such will not be safe nor innocent, for they will be in danger of ruining themselves for ever; they fall into temptation, and a snare, etc.

[3.] Worldly lusts are foolish and hurtful, for they drown men in destruction and perdition. [4.] It is good for us to consider the mischievousness of worldly fleshly lusts. They are foolish, and therefore we should be ashamed of them, hurtful, and therefore we should be afraid of them, especially considering to what degree they are hurtful, for they drown men in destruction and perdition.

(2.) The apostle affirms that the love of money is the root of all evil, 1 Timothy 6:10. What sins will not men be drawn to by the love of money? Particularly this was at the bottom of the apostasy of many from the faith of Christ; while they coveted money, they erred from the faith, they quitted their Christianity, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. Observe, [1.]

What is the root of all evil; the love of money: people may have money, and yet not love it; but, if they love it inordinately, it
will push them on to all evil.

[2.] Covetous persons will quit the faith, if that be the way to get money: Which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith. Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, 2 Timothy 4:10. For the world was dearer to him than Christianity. Observe, Those that err from the faith pierce themselves with many sorrows; those that depart from God do but treasure up sorrows for themselves.

II. Hence he takes occasion to caution Timothy, and to counsel him to keep in the way of God and his duty, and particularly to fulfil the trust reposed in him as a minister. He addresses himself to him as a man of God. Ministers are men of God, and ought to conduct themselves accordingly in every thing; they are men employed for God, devoted to his honour more immediately.

The prophets under the Old Testament were called men of God.

1. He charges Timothy to take heed of the love of money, which had been so pernicious to many: Flee these things. It ill becomes any men, but especially men of God, to set their hearts upon the things of this world; men of God should be taken up with the things of God.

2. To arm him against the love of the world, he directs him to follow that which is good. Follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness: righteousness in his conversation towards men, godliness towards God, faith and love as living principles, to support him and carry him on in the practice both of righteousness and godliness.

Those that follow after righteousness and godliness, from a principle of faith and love, have need to put on patience and meekness - patience to bear both the rebukes of Providence and the reproaches of men, and meekness wherewith to instruct gainsayers and pass by the affronts and injuries that are done us.

Observe, It is not enough that men of God flee these things, but they must follow after what is directly contrary thereto. Further, What excellent persons men of God are who follow after righteousness! They are the excellent of the earth, and, being acceptable to God, they should be approved of men.

3. He exhorts him to do the part of a soldier: Fight the good fight of faith. Note, Those who will get to heaven must fight their way thither. There must be a conflict with corruption and temptations, and the opposition of the powers of darkness.

Observe, it is a good fight, it is a good cause, and it will have a good issue. It is the fight of faith; we do not war after the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, (as we read in 2 Corinthians 10:3-4). He exhorts him to lay hold on eternal life.

Observe, (1.) Eternal life is the crown proposed to us, for our encouragement to war, and to fight the good fight of faith, the good warfare. (2.) This we must lay hold on, as those that are afraid of coming short of it and losing it. Lay hold, and take heed of losing your hold. Hold fast that which thou hast, that no man take thy crown, Revelation 3:11.

(3.) We are called to the fight, and to lay hold on eternal life. (4.) The profession Timothy and all faithful ministers make before many witnesses is a good profession; for they profess and engage to fight the good fight of faith, and to lay hold on eternal life; their calling and their own profession oblige them to this.”

But this is not limited to ministers... we ALL should be fighting the Good Fight. We are engaged in Spiritual Warfare. This is why we are admonished to put on “The Whole Armor of God” (Ephesians 6:10-18).

So we see that Spiritual Growth is intertwined with Growing in Grace and Knowledge, recognizing the Authority of God in the world and in our lives, boldness and learning to be content in all things. But there is much more that I will be happy to bring to you next week, God Willing. I invite all of you hearing or reading my words to join me as I review and examine the vital importance of our Spiritual Growth.

This concludes this evening's Discussion, "Spiritual Growth, Part 6."

This Discussion was originally presented “live” on February 22nd, 2023.

I have designed a website to serve as an Online Book Store for the things I have written and published on Amazon. These are in the form of both Kindle eBooks, and paperback books. Some of you may recall a Series I presented on "The Lord's Prayer" several years ago. My original notes for this and other Bible Studies have been greatly revised and expanded for these publications. For further details on the books that are available, and for ordering information, click the following:

https://arvkbook.wixsite.com/romansbooks

If you purchase and read any of my books, Thank you! I would also greatly appreciate a review on Amazon!