“Basic Christianity, Part 25”

Wednesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
Romans

“Basic Christianity, Part 25”

Post by Romans » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:23 pm

“Basic Christianity, Part 25” by Romans

Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnDKD1NMH4
Youtube Audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QU1Es6hdEc

We are continuing in our Series, “Basic Christianity.” Tonight, we are going to pick up where we left off last week in our review and examination of our walk with God. There is much God's Word has to say on this subject. We will be mostly in the Old Testament in tonight's Installment with one or two visits to the New Testament. And, there certainly will be at least one more Installment for the facet of “Our Christian Walk” in our review and examination of Basic Christianity.

As I said last week, a major part of Basic Christianity is our walk. Our walk demonstrates motion and not hesitation or stagnation. I would like to repeat Solomon's words from last week, “Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil” (Proverbs 4:25-27, ESV). Last week I also quoted Jesus: “No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62).

Albert Barnes writes of this: “No man, having put his hand ... - To put one’s hand to a plow is a proverbial expression to signify undertaking any business. In order that a plowman may accomplish his work, it is necessary to look onward - to be intent on his employment - not to be looking back with regret that he undertook it. So in religion. He that enters on it must do it with his whole heart...

He that comes still loving the world - still looking with regret on its pleasures, its wealth, and its honors - that has not “wholly” forsaken them as his portion, cannot be a Christian, and is not fit for the kingdom of God. How searching is this test to those who profess to be Christians! And how solemn the duty of all people to renounce all earthly objects, and to be not only “almost,” but “altogether,” followers of the Son of God!

It is perilous to tamper with the world - to look at its pleasures or to seek its society. He that would enter heaven must come with a heart full of love to God; giving “all” into his hands, and prepared always to give up all his property, his health, his friends, his body, his soul to God, when he demands them, or he cannot be a Christian. Religion is everything or nothing. He that is not willing to sacrifice “everything” for the cause of God, is really willing to sacrifice nothing.”

Matthew Henry adds, “The rebuke which Christ gave him for this request (Luke 9:62): “No man, having put his hand to the plough, and designing to make good work of his ploughing, will look back, or look behind him, for then he makes balks with his plough, and the ground he ploughs is not fit to be sown; so thou, if thou hast a design to follow me and to reap the advantages of those that do so, yet if thou lookest back to a worldly life again and hankerest after that, if thou lookest back as Lot's wife did to Sodom, which seems to be alluded to here, thou art not fit for the kingdom of God.”

(1). “Thou art not soil fit to receive the good seed of the kingdom of God if thou art thus ploughed by the halves, and not gone through with.” (2.) “Thou art not a sower fit to scatter the good seed of the kingdom if thou canst hold the plough no better.” Ploughing is in order to sowing. As those are not fit to be sown with divine comforts whose fallow ground is not first broken up, so those are not fit to be employed in sowing who know not how to break up the fallow ground...

but, when they have laid their hand to the plough, upon every occasion look back and think of quitting it. Note, Those who begin with the work of God must resolve to go on with it, or they will make nothing of it. Looking back inclines to drawing back, and drawing back is to perdition. Those are not fit for heaven who, having set their faces heavenward, face about. But he, and he only, that endures to the end, shall be saved.”

Yes, the Christian Walk is a single-minded walk in a determined direction, and with a fixed destination in mind. Sometimes, however, there are unexpected detours into areas that make us question what God is doing. There are valleys that we go through. Such a detour is clearly mentioned in a Psalm that we routinely quote when we need to be reminded of God's love for us. In Psalm 23:4 we read, “Yea, though I WALK through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.” We walk through this valley. God doesn't build a bridge for us over it. We don't go around it or retreat out of it.

Albert Barnes writes of this: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death - The meaning of this in the connection in which it occurs is this: “God will lead and guide me in the path of righteousness, even though that path lies through the darkest and most gloomy vale - through deep and dismal shades - in regions where there is no light, as if death had cast his dark and baleful shadow there. It is still a right path; it is a path of safety; and it will conduct me to bright regions beyond.

In that dark and gloomy valley, though I could not guide myself, I will not be alarmed; I will not be afraid of wandering or of being lost; I will not fear any enemies there - for my Shepherd is there to guide me still.” On the word here rendered “shadow of death” … the idea is that of death casting his gloomy shadow over that valley - the valley of the dead. Hence, the word is applicable to any path of gloom or sadness; any scene of trouble or sorrow; any dark and dangerous way.

Thus understood, it is applicable not merely to death itself - though it embraces that - but to any or all the dark, the dangerous, and the gloomy paths which we tread in life: to ways of sadness, solitude, and sorrow. All along those paths God will be a safe and certain guide.

I will fear no evil - Dark, cheerless, dismal as it seems, I will dread nothing. The true friend of God has nothing to fear in that dark valley. His great Shepherd will accompany him there, and can lead him safely through, however dark it may appear. The true believer has nothing to fear in the most gloomy scenes of life; he has nothing to fear in the valley of death; he has nothing to fear in the grave; he has nothing to fear in the world beyond.

For thou art with me - Thou wilt be with me. Though invisible, thou wilt attend me. I shall not go alone; I shall not be alone. The psalmist felt assured that if God was with him he had nothing to dread there. God would be his companion, his comforter, his protector, his guide. How applicable is this to death! The dying man seems to go into the dark valley alone. His friends accompany him as far as they can, and then they must give him the parting hand.

They cheer him with their voice until he becomes deaf to all sounds; they cheer him with their looks until his eye becomes dim, and he can see no more; they cheer him with the fond embrace until he becomes insensible to every expression of earthly affection, and then he seems to be alone. But the dying believer is not alone.

His Saviour God is with him in that valley, and will never leave him. Upon His arm he can lean, and by His presence he will be comforted, until he emerges from the gloom into the bright world beyond. All that is needful to dissipate the terrors of the valley of death is to be able to say, 'Thou art with me.'”

We have all found ourselves in that valley in the past. Some of us are there, now. And it is likely that such a valley is yet ahead of us. But we need to remember three things about that valley: 1.) We need to continue in our Christian walk when we are there;

2.) The valley is a temporary place; and 3.) When we are there, God is with us, we are not alone. We must maintain our closeness with God. It may well be that we are here at all as a wake-up call from God to get closer to Him because we have been drifting in our walk.

We need to be soberly aware that when we are in the valley, Satan will see it as his golden opportunity to maximize our doubts about God, His love, His faithfulness toward us, and, for some, even His very existence. I want to share a story with you. There was a guy I met in the '80's at the Church I attended when I lived in Philadelphia. His name was Joe. He had been a soldier in Viet Nam in the 60's. When I met him he was married and had two daughters.

When he was in Viet Nam, he came across some religious material, and he began to read it. What he read made sense. He was beginning to see and understand things on a spiritual level that were all new and quite amazing to him. He decided he would try to clean up his life and habits and try to live according to God's Word as he was beginning to understand it. As a soldier in a War Zone, he focused on amending matters on a personal and moral level. His priorities changed.

One night, his platoon went out on a Search and Destroy Mission. He was shot and wounded. It was not a life-threatening wound, but serious enough to land him in the Infirmary for a few day while he recuperated. And Joe told me that while he was there, he was furious with God, saying things like, “So THIS is what I get for trying to be better?! I know I am not perfect, but I was trying. And now look at me... shot!”

While he lied in bed fuming over his flesh wound, his platoon was not going to wait for him to be released and join them. They went out on another Search and Destroy Mission. And they marched right into an ambush. No one survived... no one except Joe who had been wounded a few nights before, and was not there for what otherwise would likely have been his last night on earth. His complaints to God suddenly stopped. Joe had reached, what I call, his “Point B.” It takes great Faith for is to be patient while waiting for God timing in bringing "Point B" to light.

We cannot see around the blind corners that God can see. We have to maintain our faith and our walk when we are in the Valley of the Shadow of Death until we reach our own “Point B.” Let's talk now about another “Joe,” the Patriarch Joseph. He mainained his faith through a series of “Point B's.” First he was sold into slavery in Egypt, then he was falsely accused by his master's wife, and wound up in Pharaoh's dungeon. It was there that he interpreted the dream of Pharaoh's servant, that ultimately led to reaching his “Point B,” namely, becoming Second in Command of the Egyptian Empire.

But all through that valley that Joseph walked through, he walked through it in faith. And as Psalm 23 says He will be for those who believe in Him, God was with Joseph the whole time leading up to his elevation to rulership. We read, “And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither. And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand” (Genesis 39:1-3).

At no time did Joseph ever curse God for what had befallen him. He maintained his walk with God, and his trust in God. When Potiphar's wife offered herself to him, he did not say, “I am a slave, here, because God has forsaken me. Why should I maintain my integrity?” Rather, we read, “But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” (Genesis 39:8-9).

After he was falsely accused of attempted rape by Potiphar's wife, we read: “And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison. But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison. And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners that were in the prison; and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it” (Genesis 39:20-22).

Long after all of the incredible events had taken place in Joseph's life, Elevation to Power, the storage of the grain, meeting his brothers again, and his whole family moving to Egypt, Joseph speaks of his own realization of reaching his own “Point B.” After his father Jacob died, Joseph's brother feared that he would now exact vengeance on them for their hateful treachery, and selling him into Egypt as a slave. They went to him and begged his forgiveness, proclaiming their loyalty to him as his servants.

He said to his brothers, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them” (Genesis 50:19:21). Faith in God, maintaining his walk with God, and integrity in continuing to obey and praise God is how Joseph responded to his valley. We would do well to do likewise when we find ourselves in the Valley of the Shadow of Death. God promised to be with us in it.

Moving into the New Testament for a bit, when Jesus was tempted by Satan to turn stones to bread, He responded, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4). With that in mind, we read in Deuteronomy 10:12: “And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to WALK in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul.”

Matthew Henry writes of this: “And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee? Deu_10:12. Ask what he requires; as David (Psa_116:12), What shall I render? When we have received mercy from God it becomes us to enquire what returns we shall make to him. Consider what he requires, and you will find it is nothing but what is highly just and reasonable in itself and of unspeakable benefit and advantage to you. Let us see here what he does require, and what abundant reason there is why we should do what he requires.

I. We are here most plainly directed in our duty to God, to our neighbour, and to ourselves. 1. We are here taught our duty to God, both in the dispositions and affections of our souls and in the actions of our lives, our principles and our practices. (1.) We must fear the Lord our God, (Deuteronomy_10:12 and 20). We must adore his majesty, acknowledge his authority, stand in awe of his power, and dread his wrath. This is gospel duty.

(2.) We must love him, be well pleased that he is, desire that he may be ours, and delight in the contemplation of him and in communion with him. Fear him as a great God, and our Lord, love him as a good God, and our Father and benefactor.

(3.) We must walk in his ways, that is, the ways which he has appointed us to walk in. The whole course of our conversation must be conformable to his holy will. (4.) We must serve him, serve him with all our heart and soul, devote ourselves to his honour, put ourselves under his government, and lay out ourselves to advance all the interests of his kingdom among men. And we must be hearty and zealous in his service, engage and employ our inward man in his work, and what we do for him we must do cheerfully and with a good will.

(5.) We must keep his commandments and his statutes. Having given up ourselves to his service, we must make his revealed will our rule in every thing, perform all he prescribes, forbear all the forbids, firmly believing that all the statutes he commands us are for our good. Besides the reward of obedience, which will be our unspeakable gain, there are true honour and pleasure in obedience.

It is really for our present good to be meek and humble, chaste and sober, just and charitable, patient and contented; these make us easy, and safe, and pleasant, and truly great. (6.) We must give honour to God, in swearing by his name; so give him the honour of his omniscience, his sovereignty, his justice, as well as of his necessary existence. Swear by his name, and not by the name of any creature, or false god, whenever an oath for confirmation is called for.

(7.) To him we must cleave. Having chosen him for our God, we must faithfully and constantly abide with him and never forsake him. Cleave to him as one we love and delight in, trust and confide in, and from whom we have great expectations.

2. We are here taught our duty to our neighbour: Love the stranger; and, if the stranger, much more our brethren, as ourselves. If the Israelites that were such a peculiar people, so particularly distinguished from all people, must be kind to strangers, much more must we, that are not enclosed in such a pale; we must have a tender concern for all that share with us in the human nature, and as we have opportunity;

(that is, according to their necessities and our abilities) we must do good to all men. Two arguments are here urged to enforce this duty: - (1.) God's common providence, which extends itself to all nations of men, they being all made of one blood. God loveth the stranger, that is, he gives to all life, and breath, and all things, even to those that are Gentiles, and strangers to the commonwealth of Israel and to Israel's God.

He knows those perfectly whom we know nothing of. He gives food and raiment even to those to whom he has not shown his word and statutes. God's common gifts to mankind oblige us to honour all men. Or the expression denotes the particular care which Providence takes of strangers in distress, which we ought to praise him for (in Psalm_146:9, The Lord preserveth the strangers), and to imitate him, to serve him, and concur with him therein, being forward to make ourselves instruments in his hand of kindness to strangers.

(2.) The afflicted condition which the Israelites themselves had been in, when they were strangers in Egypt. Those that have themselves been in distress, and have found mercy with God, should sympathize most feelingly with those that are in the like distress and be ready to show kindness to them. The people of the Jews, notwithstanding these repeated commands given them to be kind to strangers, conceived a rooted antipathy to the Gentiles, whom they looked upon with the utmost disdain, which made them envy the grace of God and the gospel of Christ, and this brought a final ruin upon themselves.”

Moving on, we go to the Psalms where we read, “For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that WALK uprightly” (Psalm 84:11).

The Preacher's Homiletical tells us of this: ““The Lord God is a sun and shield.” 1. The sun dispenses light. “God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night.” The moon, which is the lesser light here referred to, derives her light from the greater; and consequently the sun may properly be represented as the source of light, so far at least as we are concerned. If this glorious orb were blotted out of existence, everything around us would be involved in obscurity.

And what would be the state of the human mind, especially in relation to religious subjects, if it were not for the illuminations of “the Sun of Righteousness”? Alas! all would be gloom and uncertainty. 2. The sun imparts life. During the months of winter, an immense number of creatures either cease to exist, or remain in a state of torpidity. But in the spring of the year, when the orb of day begins to exert an increasing influence, what a remarkable change takes place!

Animals and vegetables are alike the subject of a revival; and the whole face of nature is renewed. Equally remarkable, and much more important, are the effects of that Sun by the warmth and energy of whose beams life is imparted to those who were dead in sin. 3. The sun produces fruitfulness. When, during a part of the year, we are favoured with but little of his presence, barrenness and sterility are observable on every hand. But the season of promise returns at the appointed time.

The sun gradually rises higher, and continues longer above the horizon. The happy results are immediately perceptible; and it is not long before we are favoured with the appointed weeks of harvest. The heart of man may, with great propriety, be compared to a soil; but, alas! it is naturally hard, and dry, and barren,—so far, at least, as spiritual things are concerned. The good seed of the kingdom may be sown thereon with a liberal hand, but until the Sun of Righteousness shines upon it in all His glory and effulgence, no signs of fruitfulness will gladden the eye.

The Psalmist tells us Jehovah “is a shield.” The shield is a piece of defensive armour used by warriors, and attached to the left arm, as a protection against the injuries to which they are exposed from the enemy. We are, therefore, reminded that the people of God are surrounded by foes, with whom it is their duty to contend; and that in the time of conflict, they may look to Him whose cause they espouse for succour and protection. In all ages, Jehovah has been the defence of His people; consequently, none of the weapons formed against them have prospered.

II. The facts. “The Lord will give grace and glory,” &c. 1. “The Lord will withhold no good from them that walk uprightly.” It is probable that the reference here is principally to temporal things; the comforts and conveniences of life. They are secured to the believer, so far as is conducive to his good, in the covenant of grace. There may also be a reference to afflictions. He, who knows us better than we know ourselves, may see that they will be good for us; and if so, they will not be withheld.

2. “The Lord will give grace.” Whatever afflictions we have to endure while upon earth, all will be well if this promise be fulfilled in our experience. The grace of God will sanctify both us and our afflictions,—us as vessels fitted for the Master’s use, and them to the advancement of our best interests. It will sustain us in the time of trial, and enable us quietly to submit to the Lord’s will. It will strengthen us in running the race that is set before us.

It will give us the victory over every adversary; and at length hold out the crown of righteousness, which fadeth not away. 3. “The Lord will give glory.” This is the consummation of grace, and is reserved for the world to come. If religion afforded its professors no enjoyment whilst on earth, the glories of heaven would prove an ample reward.

III. The persons. “Them that walk uprightly.” Those walk uprightly who walk with God. And who are they that walk with God? 1. That man does so, who, in all his engagements, recognises the Divine authority, consults the Divine will, and seeks the Divine blessing. 2. That woman walks with God, who, like Mary, has chosen the good part which can never be taken from her; and delights to sit at the Saviour’s feet, to hear His words.

Martha, is found diligently attending to household duties,—and, at the same time, like Dorcas, is “full of good works
and alms-deeds.” 3. That child walks with God, who, like Samuel, is desirous to hear the words of Divine wisdom; and, like Timothy, has acquired a knowledge of those Scriptures which are able to make him “wise unto salvation, through faith, which is in Christ Jesus.”

CONCLUSION.—1. If the Lord God be a sun, let my hearers pray that they may be enlightened, quickened, and qualified to bring forth fruit unto holiness, that the end may be everlasting life. 2. If He be a shield, let His protection be sought in every season of conflict and danger. 3. If He will withhold no temporal good from His people, let them rely on His paternal regards. 4. If He will give grace, let it be expected in every time of need.

5. If He will give glory, let it be prepared for and anticipated. 6. If those only who walk uprightly have a right to expect this blessedness, let unceasing [concern] be manifested that the character may be formed by grace Divine, so that it may be viewed with [approval] by Him who will render to every man according to his works.” The Young Minister’s Companion.”

Our walk with God is not always a, smooth, pleasant walk. As Christians, we are behind Enemy Lines, and we are outnumbered and surrounded. We are in a War Zone to one intensity or another, which is why we are admonished to put on the Whole Armour of God. But no matter how dark it may be from time to time, we should remember that we are not alone in our walk. We are to keep our eyes on our Faithful God Who promises to never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).

Do not allow Satan to undermine your Faith in God when you're in the valley. God is looking to you to remain faithful and obedient to Him. As we read in 1 John 2:4-6: “He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.”

This concludes this evening's Discussion, “Basic Christianity, Part 25.”

This Discussion was originally presented “live” on March 17th, 2020.

I have designed a website to serve as an Online Book Store for the things I have written and published on Amazon. These are in the form of both Kindle eBooks, and paperback books. Some of you may recall a Series I presented on "The Lord's Prayer" several years ago. My original notes for this and other Bible Studies have been greatly revised and expanded for these publications. For further details on the books that are available, and for ordering information, click the following:

https://arvkbook.wixsite.com/romansbooks

If you purchase and read any of my books, Thank you! I would also greatly appreciate a review on Amazon!