“The Crucifixion and The Resurrection”

Wednesday night Bible study discussion archive. Feel free to view and comment on the studies posted here.
Romans

“The Crucifixion and The Resurrection”

Post by Romans » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am

I have designed a website to serve as an Online Book Store for the things I have written and published on Amazon. These are in the form of both Kindle eBooks, and paperback books. Some of you may recall a Series I presented on "The Lord's Prayer" several years ago. My original notes for this and other Bible Studies have been greatly revised and expanded for these publications. For further details on the books that are available, and for ordering information, click the following:

https://arvkbook.wixsite.com/romansbooks

If you purchase and read any of my books, Thank you! I would also greatly appreciate a review on Amazon!

“The Crucifixion and The Resurrection”: by Romans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKHtIVb ... KHtIVbNphs

This coming Friday is the day that has come to be known as “Good Friday,” the day on which we commemorate Jesus' crucifixion. Tonight, I would like to point out some things about the crucifixion that some of you may not have been aware of. And then also go into the Resurrection for more things that may be new to you, or from different perspectives. But before we begin, let me ask all of you, What does the crucifixion mean to you?

Specific details of the crucifixion were prophesied many years before it actually happened. How could any person, or group of merely superstitious – or uninspired – people ever have hoped to be able to give specific details about the birthplace, the life and death of a single individual who would be born centuries from the time of their writings. Such a thing exists nowhere outside of those who embrace the Word of God, the Bible. Outside of the Bible, it is not only non-existant, it is actually too ridiculous to even comprehend. It is completely off the scale of logic and reason. And yet, let us notice some details about the death of Jesus, as recorded in a Psalm written by David some 1,000 years before the birth of Christ! Does anyone know what Psalm I am referring to?

Yes, it is Psalm 22, an absolutely incredible prediction of what Jesus would suffer on the day on which He would be crucified. The very first verse opens with a question that, to me, is nothing less than a startling slap in the face: “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” That is the very question that Jesus asked as He was nailed to the cross, bleeding and dying for every one of us here tonight. That question might be asked by someone in a virtually infinite number of circumstances.

Of this opening question, Matthew Henry in his Commentary writes: “This may be applied to any child of God, pressed down, overwhelmed with grief and terror. Spiritual desertions are the saints' sorest afflictions; but even their complaint of these burdens is a sign of spiritual life, and spiritual senses exercised. To cry out, My God, why am I sick? why am I poor? savours of discontent and worldliness. But, 'Why hast thou forsaken me?' is the language of a heart binding up its happiness in God's favour. This must be applied to Christ. In the first words of this complaint, he poured out his soul before God when he was upon the cross...”

Albert Barnes writes, “My God, my God - These are the very words uttered by the Saviour when on the cross (in Matthew 27:46); and he evidently used them as best adapted of all the words that could have been chosen to express the extremity of his sorrow. The fact that he employed them may be referred to as “some” evidence that the psalm was designed to refer to him; though it must be admitted that this circumstance is no conclusive proof of such a design, since he might have used words having originally another reference, as best fitted to express his own sufferings. The language is abrupt, and is uttered without any previous intimation of what would produce or cause it...

It comes from the midst of suffering - from one enduring intense agony - as if a new form of sorrow suddenly came upon him which he was unable to endure. That new form of suffering was the feeling that now he was forsaken by the last friend of the wretched - God himself. We may suppose that he had patiently borne all the other forms of trial, but the moment the thought strikes him that he is forsaken of God, he cries out in the bitterness of his soul, under the pressure of anguish which is no longer to be borne. All other forms of suffering he could bear. All others he had borne. But this crushes him; overpowers him; is beyond all that the soul can sustain - for the soul may bear all else but this. It is to be observed, however, that the sufferer himself still has confidence in God. He addresses him as his God, though he seems to have forsaken him:

Continuing, “My God; My God.” Why hast thou forsaken me? - Why hast thou abandoned me, or left me to myself, to suffer unaided and alone? As applicable to the Saviour, this refers to those dreadful moments on the cross when, forsaken by people, he seemed also to be forsaken by God Himself. God did not interpose to rescue him, but left him to bear those dreadful agonies alone. He bore the burden of the world’s atonement by himself. He was overwhelmed with grief, and crushed with pain, for the sins of the world, as well as the agonies of the cross, had come upon him.”

Psalm 22 identifies the specific details of what else was happening for that question to have been asked. Notice in verse 16 “For dogs (which is how the Jews referred to Gentiles) have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.” Here we have the description in detail of a crucifixion, a punishment that would not even exist for 1,000 years. And yet there it is in writing, ten centuries before the fact.

Verse 17 alludes to the scourging that ripped Jesus flesh from his body with each brutal lash: It reads: “ I may tell all my bones:” which is to say, that He was able to see His own bones, the flesh being gone.

There are several places in Scripture that speak of Jesus doing or saying certain things “that Scripture might be fulfilled...” For example, let's notice a few: We read in Matthew 2:23: “And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.” Also we read Jesus' words beginning in John 15:24: “If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.”

Critics of Scripture and Christianity might say in reading the above, “Well, anybody could read prophecies and then just do them, and claim to be the Messiah.” Where a few of the prophecies Jesus fulfilled are concerned, they might be able to pull that off. They might be able to make certain specific statements, or ride into Jerusalem on a donkey. But before they do anything else, they must first have to have been born, not only in Bethlehem, but also to a woman who was still a virgin up to and after their birth! That would be a great trick to pull off! Any other claims they might want to make are utterly nullified without these first two prerequisite prophecies being included in their Messianic Resume.` Only Jesus can have fulfilled all of the Messianic Prophecies, and only Jesus did just that!

Notice these incredible prophecies in Psalm 22 continue in verse 18: “They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.” David actually prophesied that there would be gambling for Jesus' clothing being awarded to the winner. And we read of that being fulfilled in John 19:23: “Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.”

If Jesus were not the Messiah, and He had only faked the fulfilling of Messianic Prophecies by reading what they were and then trying to fulfill them, did the Romans soldiers who gambled for His garments also do that? And for what possible reason would they do such a thing? They were certainly not trying to prove to anyone that the accused prisoner they were beating and whose clothing they were gambling over was actually Messiah! That's ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous is this other detail of fulfilled prophesied mentioned in Psalms 22:7: “All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.”

This mockery of the crowd was fulfilled as David Prophesied, and is recorded by Matthew in Matthew 27:39-43: “And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.”

Now think... The criticism that Jesus faked His Messiahship by simply doing thing He knew the Messiah was supposed to do or say means the Roman soldiers trying to help someone fake being the Messiah by gambling for His garments. But this also means that the crowd who demanded Jesus' crucifixion from Plilate also read Psalm 22, and said, “Hey! If we mock Jesus, we can help Him fake being the Messiah”! That makes ZERO sense. They would NEVER had done that. And... they DID NOT do that! They simply fulfilled a detail of Messianic Prophecy of which they were likely not even aware.

Psalm 22 is an amazing prophetic Psalm, even speaking of, in verse 16, hands and feet being pierced, a form of execution that would not be practiced for nine or ten centuries!

The Homiletical Bible writes, “I. Forsaken and Suffering. “Why hast Thou forsaken me? Why art Thou so far from helping me and from the words of my roaring?” Suffering is one of the mysteries of our complicated human life. None are exempt. The voice of anguish rises towards heaven in a ceaseless wail. As there are ecstasies of joy when the soul is exalted into a state of inexpressible rapture, so there are corresponding depressions when the soul is plunged into a gulf of darkness and despair. The bitterest element in all suffering is the sense of desertion, when the lonely victim is drifting helplessly before the black, pelting storm, without a hand to help, a voice to cheer, or a light to guide!
Who can fathom the feelings of the solitary sufferer of Golgotha indicated in that thrilling and mysterious cry—“My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me!” It was “not the why of impatience or despair, not the sinful questioning of one whose heart rebels against his chastening, but rather the cry of a lost child who cannot understand why his father has left him, and who longs to see his father’s face again. What these words were in the lips of the Holy One of God, heart of man may not conceive. For a moment in that last agony the Perfect Man was alone with the sin of the world.”—Perowne.

But I would like to go back and focus on one particular thought that is brought out in Psalm 22, and verse 6, where were read that Jesus was a reproach of men, and despised of the people. I take this next section and give full credit to a Study Guide found in The World's Bible Handbook: Jesus was forsaken as no other man before or after Him was ever forsaken. Jesus' ordeal of being forsaken was thorough and complete:

Jesus was forsaken by the world He created:
We read in John 1:10: “He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.”

John Gill writes, “He was in the world,.... he was in it as the light and life of it, giving natural life and light to creatures in it, and filling it, and them, with various blessings of goodness; and he was in the promise and type before, as well as after the Jews were distinguished from other nations, as his peculiar people.

And the world was made by him: Philo... often ascribes the making of the world to the Logos, or word, … and this regards the whole universe, and all created beings in it, and therefore cannot design the new creation: besides, if all men in the world were anew created by Christ, they would know him; for a considerable branch of the new creation lies in knowledge. To understand this of the old creation, best suits the context, and proves the deity of Christ, and his pre-existence, as the word, and Son of God, to his incarnation,And the world knew him not; that is, the inhabitants of the world knew him not as their Creator: nor did they acknowledge the mercies they received from him; nor did they worship, serve, and obey him, or love and fear him; nor did they, the greater part of them, know him as the Messiah, Mediator, Saviour, and Redeemer. There was, at first, a general knowledge of Christ throughout the world among all the sons of Adam, after the first promise of him, and which, for a while, continued; but this, in process of time, being neglected and slighted, it was forgot, and utterly lost, as to the greater part of mankind; for the Gentiles, for many hundreds of years, as they knew not the true God, so they were without Christ, without any notion of the Messiah; and this their ignorance, as it was first their sin, became their punishment.”

Jesus was forsaken by the nation from which He was descended, the seed of Abraham:
John 1:11 tells us, “He came unto his own, and his own received him not.”

Jesus was forsaken by the residents of His hometown Nazareth:
In Luke 4: 16-30 we read of the event where He read from a scroll and lectured on its meaning. Then when He was done, we read in verse 28: “And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them went his way...”

Jesus was forsaken by His own brothers with whom He grew up;
John 7:5 tells us specifically, speaking of Mary's other sons, that: “neither did his brethren believe in him.”

Jesus was forsaken by His disciples: We are told in Mark 14:50: “And they all forsook him, and fled.”

Jesus was forsaken by His chief disciple who assured Him that he would never deny Him: We read in Matthew 26:35 “Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee.”

But, as we know, Peter did deny Him, three times in fact. In the midst of his third predicted denial, the crowing of a rooster was what stopped him from what he was doing. We read in Matthew 26:74: “Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.”

I heard a minister once who described that scene in this way: When it says that Peter began to curse, the original Greek of the manuscript indicates that Peter actually began to call down a curse upon himself, in an effort to make his denial appear more convincing. The crowing rooster stopped him before he could finish. So we see that Jesus' prediction of three denials before the rooster crowed was much more than prophecy for prophecy's sake. Jesus used the routine sunrise crowing of a rooster to serve as a signal for Peter's benefit... to stop him before he could finish the sentence... to interrupt the calling down of curses upon himself. This is perfectly in character for Jesus to have done that with Peter's well-being in mind.

Let's continue:

There is a very sobering verse found in the Old Testament that sheds amazing light on Jesus experience: It is found in Zechariah 13:6: “And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.”
Albert Barnes writes, “And one shall say unto him, What are those wounds in thy hands? - The words are simple; the meaning different , according as they are united with what immediately precedes, or the main subject, Him whom they pierced, for whom they were to mourn, and, on their mourning, to be cleansed, and of whom it is said in the next verse, “Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd.”

Let us also notice, regarding hand wounds received in the house of friends, something Jesus said that I believe is both relevant and significant. We read in John 15:14: “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” The wounds, then, were the result of Him giving Himself for all of those who would accept His Sacrifice, turn from their evil ways, and obey His Commands, whom He calls His friends. So His hands were wounded in the house of His friends.

Isaiah 53:5 also speaking of the Messiah being wounded: “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”

Alexander MacClaren writes, “The reason for the Servant’s sufferings was ‘our transgressions.’ More is suggested now than sympathetic identification with others’ sorrows. This is an actual bearing of the consequences of sins which He had not committed, and that not merely as an innocent man may be overwhelmed by the flood of evil which has been let loose by others’ sins to sweep over the earth. The blow that wounds Him is struck directly and solely at Him. He is not entangled in a widespread calamity, but is the only victim. It is pre-supposed that all transgression leads to wounds and bruises; but the transgressions are done by us, and the wounds and bruises fall on Him. Can the idea of vicarious suffering be more plainly set forth?

The intensity of the Servant’s sufferings is brought home to our hearts by the accumulation of epithets, to which reference has already been made. He was ‘wounded’ as one who is pierced by a sharp sword; ‘bruised’ as one who is stoned to death; beaten and with livid {wounds} on His flesh. A background of unnamed persecutors is dimly seen. The description moves altogether in the region of physical violence, and that violence is more than symbol. It is no mere coincidence that the story of the Passion reproduces so many of the details of the prophecy, for, although the fulfillment of the latter does not depend on such coincidences, they are not to be passed by as of no importance. Former generations made too much of the physical sufferings of Jesus; is not this generation in danger of making too little of them?

The issue of the Servant’s sufferings is presented in a startling paradox. His bruises and wounds are the causes of our being healed. His chastisement brings our peace. Surely it is very hard work, and needs much forcing of words and much determination not to see what is set forth in as plain light as can be conceived, to strike the idea of atonement out of this prophecy. It says as emphatically as words can say, that we have by our sins deserved stripes, that the Servant bears the stripes which we have deserved, and that therefore we do not bear them.”

Isaiah 53:4,6 tells us” “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”

And lastly, because the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all, Jesus was forsaken unlike anyone else who has ever lived: He was forsaken by God His Father with Whom He had spent Eternity past.

We are told in almost unimaginable words in Isaiah 53:10: “Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin.”

John Gill writes, “Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him,.... The sufferings of Christ are signified by his being "bruised,” and as it was foretold he should have his heel bruised by the serpent, (as we read in Genesis 3:15), but here it is ascribed to the Lord: he was bruised in body, when buffeted and scourged, and nailed to the cross; and was bruised and broken in spirit, when the sins of his people were laid on him, and the wrath of God came upon him for them: the Lord had a hand in his sufferings;
{God} not only permitted them, but they were according to the counsel of his will; they were predetermined by him, (see Acts 2:23), yea, they were pleasing to him, he took a kind of delight and pleasure in them; not in them simply considered as sufferings, but as they were an accomplishment of his purposes, a fulfillment of his covenant and promises, and of the prophecies in his word; and, particularly, as hereby the salvation of his people was brought about.”

Matthew Henry writes of it pleasing the Lord to bruise Him, “Christ accommodated himself to this dispensation, and received the impressions of grief from his Father's delivering him up; and he was troubled to such a degree that it put him into an agony, and he began to be amazed and very heavy. (3.) It pleased the Lord to do this. He determined to do it; it was the result of an eternal counsel; and he delighted in it, as it was an effectual method for the salvation of man and the securing and advancing of the honour of God.”

“It pleased the LORD to bruise Him” is Isaiah's John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” In addition, we are told in Romans 8:32: “He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?” Romans 6:23 tells us: “The wages of sin is death...” God wants to share Eternity with us so badly that He sent His Son to pay our sin debt.

And Jesus willingly paid it so that we would not have to pay it ourselves. He asked that question, “My God, My God, Why hast Thou forsaken Me?” so that we would never have to ask it... Far and above dying for our sins, Jesus became sin for us to receive His Father's full and Righteous Wrath (as we read in 2 Corinthians 5:21) That is a manifestation of Love that is on a scale that is unimaginable on a human scale.

A standard animal sacrifice would never have been sufficient: We read in Hebrews 10:4: “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.” There was no other way for this penalty to be paid to the satisfaction of a pure and righteous God... except... that someone else, a human being and not an animal, die in our place for our transgressions. But it also had to be a human being without sin as Jesus was, else Jesus would have merely been paying for His own sins.

How did John the Baptist announce Jesus' presence when He came to the banks of the Jordan River? We read in John 1:29: “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” So, that we might have Life, the Father poured out His wrath on His Son in order that the death penalty for all of our sins might be satisfied in the suffering and sacrificial death of His Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. This is what is pictured and commemorated this Friday, a day we have come to call “Good Friday.”

Father, we thank You for Your incomprehensible Love, for this incredible and undeserved Sacrifice in the Person of Your Son, Jesus Christ.

But we're only half done. Part 2 is about to begin: The Resurrection.

On Sunday, April 1st, Christians will celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. And certainly that was a glorious event worthy of celebration for many reasons. The Resurrection was a unique historic event for which all but one of the Apostles died for proclaiming. I say all but one because tradition tells us that the Romans attempted to execute the Apostle John by boiling him in oil, but he survived the attempt. When he would not cook, the Romans exiled him to the Isle of Patmos. They wanted to be able to sentence him to something, since the execution failed. But, without exception, all of the Apostles accepted death sentences, rather than save their lives and recant their testimony that Christ had been raised from the dead.

Before we get into the heart of the Second Part of this Evening's Discussion, I'd like to ask all of you, What does the Resurrection mean to you?

In the Second Part of the Evening's Discussion, let's look not merely at the Resurrection, but a very important aspect of Jesus' Resurrection that many have never heard about, and therefore could not have have fully considered. You may recall that I described the Resurrection of Christ, yes, as an historical event, but also as a unique historic event. Let's take a look at some of the other people whose deaths and returns to life were recorded in Scripture before Jesus was raised from the dead in both the Old and New Testament.

In the Old Testament, Elisha raised the son of the Shunammite woman back to life. In the New Testament, in the 9th Chapter of Matthew, Jesus raised to life the 12 year old daughter of the ruler of the synagogue. In Luke 7, He also raised the only son a woman who was grieving, and this He did during the very funeral procession! And, of course, Lazarus. There many have been many other such miracles that were not recorded in Scripture. So, with all of these other examples of people being raised back to life, in what way was Jesus' Resurrection unique?

Jesus did not experience a Resurrection in which His corpse was reanimated after three days in a similar manner to the examples that I just cited. Remember that Lazarus had that exact experience after four days in which his corpse was reanimated. But the day came when that 12 year old girl, and the grieving woman's son, and Lazarus, and anyone else Jesus may have brought back to life, all died, again. And that is just one reason why I say that Jesus' Resurrection was unique.

Jesus states in Revelation 1:18: “I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” Let's also notice a few Scriptures that I think may shed some additional light on the uniqueness of Jesus' return from the dead.

First, in Revelation 1:5: “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead.” Also, consider Colossians 1:15: “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature”

When Jesus was raised from the dead, he exemplified Paul's description of the Resurrection that Christians will experience. In 1 Corinthians 15, which is routinely referred to as the Resurrection Chapter, verses 42-46: “So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption. It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.”

So then, Jesus was something of a forerunner of the kind of Resurrection that we will experience when He returns. He was, as it says, again, in Colossians 1:15, “the firstborn of every creature,” in spite of the fact that others preceded Him in being raised from the dead. That is because when He was raised, He, as a former human being who had been subject to death, and in fact did die, was now incorruptible and immortal.

But it does not stop at immortality. When Jesus was raised from the dead, He was raised in a glorious spiritual body that will live forever. Jesus, on the night before His crucifixion, Jesus focused more on present and future believers in Him, then He did on the brutal scourging and the shameful and heinous death that was awaiting Him in mere hours.

His Prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane is recorded in John 17:20: “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.” He says that He has given them, believers in Him, glory. But where is that glory? Why don't we see it, now?

The Apostle John explains that in 1 John 3:2: “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.” Did you hear that: “When He shall appear, we shall be like Him.” The chronology laid out in 1 Corinthians 15, says that the Resurrection will take place at His Second Coming.

And the change that believers will undergo is corroborated by another prophecy, this time from the Old Testament Book of Daniel 12:2-3: “And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.” There is that glory that the resurrected saints shall have that I have been telling you about.

As our Pioneer, as our forerunner, Jesus was the first human being of an innumerable number of humans beings that will be raised and glorified as Jesus was raised and glorified.
This is specifically spelled out in Philippians 3:21: Referring first to Jesus, Paul writes, “Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body...”

There is a glorious Eternal future that is ours, all because the Father loved us enough, to give us His Son, to live a sinless life, to take our punishment and die in our place, the death that our sins have earned us. But notice how His Resurrection is also a key ingredient to out Eternity. We read in Romans 5:10: “For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.”

Jesus' death reconciled us to the Father. His righteousness is imputed to us, as if it were our own. And we are saved by His Life in that we will follow Him in a Resurrection from the dead, transformed into a glorious and spiritual existence in which we shall live forever with Him. This is that element of the celebration of His Resurrection that is routinely overlooked in the average Easter Sunday messages.
The Resurrection of Jesus Christ ranks at the top of the list of the most important and phenomenal and glorious events that has ever taken place. But it also directly impacts our glorious place in Eternity, because, as we read in Hebrews 2:10, Jesus is the “Captain of our Salvation,” “...bringing many sons unto glory.” That's us... all of you who are hearing me, tonight. And me, too, who is sharing this Good News with you.

This concludes this Evening's Discussion on “The Crucifixion and The Resurrection.”

This Discussion was originally presented “live” on March 28th, 2018